Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Close In Stack Taping  (Read 6109 times)

Offline dean

• Akustische u. Kino-Geräte!!!!
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • The Dude abides...
Re: Close In Stack Taping
« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2009, 10:35:09 PM »
I used to be "that guy" before I started getting into video, then audio.  I'm still extremely enthusiastic about music, but I'm pretty silent.  Funny, too, because I used to think it was good to show that level of enthusiasm, but now I think it's just obnoxious, and I can't imagine that the artists appreciate it at all.
Light weight: Sound Pro AT 831 or MBHO's > tinybox > D7 or Samson PM4's > Denecke PS-2 > D7
Slutty weight:  [MBHO MBP 603A + (KA100LK/KA200N/KA500HN)] and/or [AKG C 414 b xls (omni/sub-card/card/hyp/8)]  > Hi Ho Silver xlr's/other xlr's > Oade T & W Mod R-4 or UA-5 (BM2p+ mod.) or JB3 or D7

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/deanlambrecht

nathan_g

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2009, 10:51:42 PM »
I've been 'that guy' myself on a few occasions - all long before picking up the hobby. To me, it largely depends on the venue and type of scene/music. I typically only go to quieter, acoustic type shows or moderately loud ones on occasion. In either case, the stuff I listen to anymore typically appeals to a more 'grown up' audience. Drunken louts are usually shouted down either by those around them or heckled to the point of embarrassment by the performer. Love it when that happens.  ;D

I've seen Steve Earle say "I remember my first beer too..." several times.

Offline darby

• Trade Count: (108)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Support artists and venues that allow recording
« Reply #17 on: August 23, 2009, 11:41:17 PM »
I was even that guy myself when i first started taping
I have a Muddy Waters tape I did way back in 81
that wasn't too bad considering the cheap deck with built in mic
but I got to the point that his performance got to me so much
I had to start yelling OH YEAH! and WOO! during Mannish Boy  :-X :o

as far as the Hypers you will cut out a great deal of him
then as you suggested, switch caps and do a comp
the hidden track is nice... but don't put too much blank space on the front
make sure he has to hear it before he turns the disc off

Offline acidjack

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (37)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #18 on: August 24, 2009, 09:16:22 AM »
Maybe make it a 'hidden' track at the end of the disc. Add about 2-3 minutes of silence at the end of the last track, then...YEAH, YEAH!! WOOOOO!! for a few minutes...

I've always been pleased by the sound of the omnis. Part of it is the fact that I haven't really had much of a chance to use the hypers. To me, they're still new and I wanna use 'em. Besides quieting the audience with the hypers, will it really make that much of a difference (omnis/hypers) considering the close stack proximity?

The whole element of your loud friend does change things a bit... though I have always found that people who clap/cheer BETWEEN songs, and even the occasional "yeah!" during one, are way, way, way less bad than my personal favorite, the people who carry on an entire, loud conversation during the song, especially quiet parts.  Also, a few cheers you can deal with in post. Some girl talking about her fight with her boyfriend of whatever the fxck this person that is inevitably near me is always talking about, not so easy....
Mics: Schoeps MK4V, MK41V, MK5, MK22> CMC6, KCY 250/5, KC5, NBob; MBHO MBP603/KA200N, AT 3031, DPA 4061 w/ d:vice, Naiant X-X, AT 853c, shotgun, Nak300
Pres/Power: Aerco MP2, tinybox v2  [KCY], CA-UBB
Decks: Sound Devices MixPre 6, Zoom F8, M10, D50

My recordings on nyctaper.com: http://www.nyctaper.com/?tag=acidjack | LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/acidjack | twitter: http://www.twitter.com/acidjacknyc | Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/acidjacknyc

nathan_g

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #19 on: August 24, 2009, 10:18:49 AM »
I was even that guy myself when i first started taping
I have a Muddy Waters tape I did way back in 81
that wasn't too bad considering the cheap deck with built in mic
but I got to the point that his performance got to me so much
I had to start yelling OH YEAH! and WOO! during Mannish Boy  :-X :o

Hell, even the official release of Mannish Boy has a bunch of YEAH, WOO-WOO in it. Sounds like it was taped in a Mississippi juke joint. If anything, you probably lent it some character...

Maybe make it a 'hidden' track at the end of the disc. Add about 2-3 minutes of silence at the end of the last track, then...YEAH, YEAH!! WOOOOO!! for a few minutes...

I've always been pleased by the sound of the omnis. Part of it is the fact that I haven't really had much of a chance to use the hypers. To me, they're still new and I wanna use 'em. Besides quieting the audience with the hypers, will it really make that much of a difference (omnis/hypers) considering the close stack proximity?

The whole element of your loud friend does change things a bit... though I have always found that people who clap/cheer BETWEEN songs, and even the occasional "yeah!" during one, are way, way, way less bad than my personal favorite, the people who carry on an entire, loud conversation during the song, especially quiet parts.  Also, a few cheers you can deal with in post. Some girl talking about her fight with her boyfriend of whatever the fxck this person that is inevitably near me is always talking about, not so easy....

Yeah, I agree. As long as it's between songs it isn't that big of a deal. My friends and I usually take up anywhere from 3-6 consecutive seats and have known each other long enough to not have too much to say to each other - certainly not during a concert. My loud buddy is actually pretty helpful when it comes to the chatters. He's big and fairly rude - won't hesitate to tell someone to shut up or whatever problem they're discussing will be the least of their concerns...gotta love that.

What I can't stand are the one's that want to clap along... >:(

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.191 seconds with 31 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com