Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: 50" plasma TV considerations  (Read 21171 times)

Offline John Kelly

• Been a while...
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • The Jokell
Re: 50" plasma TV considerations
« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2008, 07:26:31 PM »
Forgot to add I haven't really considered projectors, since at first glance projectors in my price range either don't offer high enough contrast or aren't bright enough (it's a quite bright room).  Not to mention I don't seem to have a sufficient budget for projector + screen + ceiling mount + (maybe) new window treatments.

My next home theater purchase will be a projector.  100" screen?  Awesome. ;D
Sennheiser MKH8040st > SD 702
XBL/PSN/Steam ID: thejokell

Offline neumannkid

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • Shows Ive taped on the archive
« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2008, 08:01:03 PM »
I have the 50" Panasonic and couldnt be more satisfied. A lot of the past problems with plasmas have been fixed or improved with the newer versions.

Online Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (15)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #17 on: December 13, 2008, 12:30:10 AM »
Heh.
A friend of mine and I DIY'd an old LCD monitor screen and ex-highschool AV department overhead projector to project onto the exterior garage wall.  The contrast sucks and the thing is covered in bits of cardboard boxes to block the light leaks but it makes for a fun yard party.  I've considered building a 'good' one with a quality lens and high wattage halide light.. but that's a good ways down the project list.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline sparkey

• Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #18 on: December 15, 2008, 10:28:22 AM »
I got my Sony HW15 for $1050 shipped to my door and made the screen by stretching blackout material from Joann Fabric over a frame to 100" (87"x49.5").  My buddy who has a 50" Mitsubishi flipped when he saw it, told me it looked better than his TV.  You just gotta be able to control your light...looks fuckin sick at 720P...I'm tellin ya....

Josh

Forgot to add I haven't really considered projectors, since at first glance projectors in my price range either don't offer high enough contrast or aren't bright enough (it's a quite bright room).  Not to mention I don't seem to have a sufficient budget for projector + screen + ceiling mount + (maybe) new window treatments.

My next home theater purchase will be a projector.  100" screen?  Awesome. ;D
#Generalstrike for president in 2024

Offline pjdavep

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #19 on: December 16, 2008, 02:04:41 PM »

Brian,

I'd urge you to call Invision Displays before you purchase.  Last year I ordered my Pioneer plasma from them and they had the lowest price by far, coupled with no tax and very fair shipping/freight prices.  The price was so good that I sprung for an additional 4 year extended warranty.
http://www.invisiondisplays.com/index.php

They carry Pioneer, Panasonic, and Samsung.  You may be able to afford a Pioneer and if so, that would be my vote.  Next best is Panasonic IMO.  Although Pioneer will start buying panels from Panasonic, their electronics behind the panel are superior.   

Later,
  pjdavep

Recording: DPA 4061s > DPA MMA-6000 > R-09

Playback office: Denon 2200 > Grace 901 > Sennheiser 650's (all Cardas cabling)
            home: Onkyo SP-800 > Denon 887 > Odyssey HT-3 SE > Von Schweikert VR-2  (Kimber Select IC's and Bifocal XL spkr cables)

Offline Brian E.

• Trade Count: (2)
  • is chicago.... is not chicago....
« Reply #20 on: September 23, 2009, 10:05:05 AM »
What'd you end up with?  I bought a 50" Pioneer in spring 08. It's just tops. Literally, best you could buy, probably still is. But you'll have trouble finding them now. Pio has dropped out of the plasma business.
my tapes:  The Archive | Dime | Etree

Recorder - Sony PCM A-10 | Cans - Shure SE535 | Mics - CA-14 Cards | Canon EOS 5D Mark II 17-40L f4 50 f1.4 70-200L f2.8 IS II 430EX II

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #21 on: September 23, 2009, 03:09:28 PM »
What'd you end up with?

I had a major kitchen plumbing crisis, added a few extras while we were at it, and ended up with:  all new kitchen plumbing, faucet, sink, disposal, and granite countertops.  Not all for $1k, of course...but that's where the $ went.  Thrilled with the new kitchen space, but still wish I had a 50"-er, especially now that my 37" LCD just died.  Hmph.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.245 seconds with 37 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com