Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Zoom R16 8 track recorder.....  (Read 20165 times)

Offline Nick's Picks

• Trade Count: (33)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • I thought I heard.......
Zoom R16 8 track recorder.....
« on: December 04, 2009, 08:43:59 AM »
picked on up from B&H photo last week ($399 shipped).

first impressions..., as I have not used it much.

- not nearly as intuitive.  I actually need to refer to the manual, A LOT.
- decently built.  plastic, but thick plastic.
- 5v 1amp DC input, or 6xAA batteries...or USB power (limited in the boards use when powered by USB, its not full featured).
- on board omni's sound fine as "room mics" to mix w/the rest of the inputs.
- preamps on chan 5/6 where the only 48v phantom option exists are not as terrible as I expected.  Not dead quiet, but very usable.  On par w/the stock preamps on any of the decks we use normally, I'd say.
- Definitely not a "field deck" that I'd want in a pile w/other gear.   In certain situations where you can lay it on a table and "do it right", it would kick ass.  But dont think something like this is going to be a suitable replacement for any 4 or 8 channel field recorder.

I have a lot more goofin' to do with this.  I purchased it for the band so that we could multi-track our rehearsals...start getting good w/this board and then produce our own demo...as nicely as we can.  So far, so good.  We'll get it rockin next week once we plug everything into it.

Offline Walstib62

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (32)
Re: Zoom R16 8 track recorder.....
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2009, 09:33:50 AM »
Thanks for the info. Nick. Keep us posted on this. I have been thinking of picking one up and am interested in your experience with it.
Take Care

Offline Ozpeter

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2009, 08:45:48 PM »
Lots of discussion on that device at http://www.2090.org/zoom/bbs/viewforum.php?f=17

kirk97132

« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2009, 08:56:42 PM »
Nick,  Thanx for review.  Have you tried running outboard preamps with it yet?  Am I reading this right that only channel 5 & 6 have phantom 48?  Keep post results, I've been eyeballing this for awhile and am very interested in how it performs and what a taper thinks about it!  Thanx again, Kirk

Offline Ozpeter

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2009, 07:26:28 PM »
Having only two phantom powered mic preamps is probably the chief limitation of this device, but at the price that's hardly surprising.

Offline Nick's Picks

« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2009, 08:59:13 AM »
but its not really a limitation...
you have to think about the market that this was created for, and basement hobbyists are not running U47 vocal mics.  they are running dynamics...and those plug in just fine with the other 6 channels.  Also, running instruments directly....., which does not require phantom as you know.
so when you think about a good little $400 device to record a 4 piece band with, micing everything you can and trying to get it all with one take..., it works out just fine.  the only condensers used would be a pair in front of the drum kit any way, and even that can be done just fine with dynamic mics.

Live, shit.., its great.  a pair of room mics, and then direct feeds from the instruments + kick and snare.  its the tits.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2009, 09:00:52 AM by Nick's Picks »

Offline Nick's Picks

« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2009, 09:10:48 AM »
fwiw.., its stock preamps sound like this:
LSD2 blumlein in the center of the room, w/the band in a wide U shape around it.  the mic was centered on the drum kit.  bass was off to the left, guitar on the right.., my amp was also on the left, but picked up by the right out of phase channel of that F-o-8 ..so it sounds more on the right but OOP.
any way, this is what the preamps sound like.  this was done at 24/44.1.  this file is just a short clip for downloading ease.
http://www.nippinthenub.com/mp3/track05.flac

kirk97132

« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2009, 02:13:22 PM »
fwiw.., its stock preamps sound like this:
LSD2 blumlein in the center of the room, w/the band in a wide U shape around it.  the mic was centered on the drum kit.  bass was off to the left, guitar on the right.., my amp was also on the left, but picked up by the right out of phase channel of that F-o-8 ..so it sounds more on the right but OOP.
any way, this is what the preamps sound like.  this was done at 24/44.1.  this file is just a short clip for downloading ease.
http://www.nippinthenub.com/mp3/track05.flac

Nick how about an opinion of what the stock pre's sound like compared to R-44, HD-P2, R-09, MTx.  I'd actually like to hear what you think.  It looks like you've run enough different gear to give some good feedback.  I guess what I'm leading up to is.....I've been looking at this (r-16) for awhile.  ANd I was thinking I could sell my R-44 and with the cash buy a Big Box 4 channel pre and the R-16 to end up with 8 channels of recording.  I already have a SD MP_2 and a BMP2+ UA-5 so I'd end up with 8 good pre amps.  In your opinion and I know it's just an opinion will this compare to the R-44?

Offline Nick's Picks

« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2009, 03:52:33 PM »
i dont know..., they are all so close to each other.  it doesn't sound all too far off from the stock channels of my r44.  maybe a little brighter..., not sure.
I wouldn't use this as a field recorder in a tapers section.  no hold button, no way to protect the vast array of buttons , knobs, faders..etc.

kirk97132

« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2009, 04:03:28 PM »
Ah, well I can see that and agree.  For me it is so rare that I do that type of recording anymore.  I just keep getting pulled in by 8 tracks of sync'ed recording.  And if the stock pre amps are run at unity with decent preamps in front of it......well you see where I'm going.  Thanks for feedback so far.  keep us posted on the pros/cons that you run across.  As far as I have seen you are one of the first tapers with one of these. 

Offline illconditioned

• Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2009, 04:11:01 PM »
i dont know..., they are all so close to each other.  it doesn't sound all too far off from the stock channels of my r44.  maybe a little brighter..., not sure.
I wouldn't use this as a field recorder in a tapers section.  no hold button, no way to protect the vast array of buttons , knobs, faders..etc.

I'd like to know:
1. Powering options (wall adapter, yes, but what is the spec, in particuar, AC or DC.  AC is a trick to get a split supply inside, but makes it harder to power in the field.)

2. A picture of the *guts*.  I'd like to know what opamps/ADC converters are used, and
if it would be possible to mod the thing!!!

Anyway, thanks for trying it out.  Nice to hear new gear...

Richard
Please DO NOT mail me with tech questions.  I will try to answer in the forums when I get a chance.  Thanks.

Sample recordings at: http://www.soundmann.com.

kirk97132

« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2009, 04:25:05 PM »
From Same Day Music site:
Battery operation for remote recording

USB power for studio operation

and if I remember correctly Gear Slutz discussion talked about DC field power.  And with a USB power couldn't an adaptor be used?  I can't remember what voltage it takes.

Offline illconditioned

• Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2009, 05:01:02 PM »
From Same Day Music site:
Battery operation for remote recording

USB power for studio operation

and if I remember correctly Gear Slutz discussion talked about DC field power.  And with a USB power couldn't an adaptor be used?  I can't remember what voltage it takes.
If it is entirely USB powered, then that is great.  5V @ either 0.5 or 1.0A maximum (not sure which).  There are lots of battery options to power a USB device.

Richard
Please DO NOT mail me with tech questions.  I will try to answer in the forums when I get a chance.  Thanks.

Sample recordings at: http://www.soundmann.com.

Offline Nick's Picks

« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2009, 05:10:36 PM »
it can run via USB, but it only powers certain functions of the board, and "needs" a computer and software to run it that way.
Otherwise, its 5v 1amp DC input...or 6xAA.

next time I have it at home I'll pop the hood and snap some pics.

Offline Walstib62

• Site Supporter
« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2009, 06:15:45 PM »
Any updates on this, Nick?
Thanks

Offline Nick's Picks

« Reply #15 on: December 20, 2009, 10:34:51 AM »
nothing yet.  We've been workin' it hard at our practices.  Here is the last multi-track we did last week.
instruments (bass/guitar) were run direct.  vocals were run from a sub group output from our main board.  Drums were mic'd w/the LSD in XY in front of the kit (about 1' in front), and upside down to capture some kick and shy away from the cymbals.  My leslie and keyboard amp were miced together w/one SM58 (best we could do w/8chan...ideally, I'd need 5 just for my keyboards to do it "the right way").  So corners were cut...

a little tweaking in post..., pan here, amplify there...
and here are the results:    http://nippinthenub.com/mp3/practice-12-17-09/

I'll be writing a more formal review on nickspicks sometime this week.   I wont be measuring noise or any of that..., as I dont really care what the specs on paper are, just what the finished product sounds like.

kirk97132

« Reply #16 on: December 29, 2009, 05:33:23 PM »
Nick, I took a quick listen.  Like you guys sound.  I just grabbed track 6 Groovin.  but I have a question.  The noise right before the music starts, is that just amp noise?  I'm hoping that isn't what the noise floor sounds like on this recorder.  Thanks, Kirk

Offline Nick's Picks

« Reply #17 on: December 31, 2009, 08:05:28 AM »
yea, thats just noise from Leslie I believe.  she's "acting up" a bit.

this is from last night, its just channels 5/6, the ones w/phantom.
LSD2, XY in the room.
http://nippinthenub.com/mp3/12-29-09/2009-12-29track13.mp3

"john the mullet"

« Last Edit: December 31, 2009, 08:10:07 AM by Nick's Picks »

kirk97132

« Reply #18 on: December 31, 2009, 06:43:01 PM »
ah well it wouldn't be a true Leslie if it wasn't making some kinda noise now would it?  The mic sample is pretty darn quiet with out any music playing and I'm not familiar with the LSD2 sound.  It does sound like you ran the levels a little soft.    I am still thinking about selling my R-44 to get one of these.    So since you've been using it are you still liking it?  Just the thought of 8 synced tracks keeps hovering like a moth to a candle.....I'm just not positive enough yet to let go of the R-44 I like that deck a lot. 

Offline Walstib62

• Site Supporter
« Reply #19 on: December 31, 2009, 07:27:29 PM »
Kirk,
As inexpensive as this unit is, I would hang onto the R-4. This does seem like a good price for an 8 ch. unit. The fact that Nick has been using it a lot and it still powers up is encouraging! I have a local venue that will allow me to do multitrack. I'm also looking at the Korg D3200, which will do 12 tracks simultaneous.

http://www.korg.com/product.aspx?&pd=223

kirk97132

« Reply #20 on: December 31, 2009, 08:32:53 PM »
It's the R-44 not an R-4, slightly different.  But even though the price is cheap I'm not in a position to spend even the $400 that this unit cost unless I sell something to fund it.  I could sell my R-44 and buy this and a 4 channel Preamp( Niaant Big Box in particular) and not have to spend any money.  The Korg unit you linked to goes for $1200 and there is no way that is in the budget.   It is just appealing that I can get 8 tracks and a pre without spending money.  The other think is that I rarely go to any arena type shows, 1 a year if that, so the layout of the R-16 is a non issue for me.   

Offline Nick's Picks

« Reply #21 on: January 02, 2010, 09:07:43 AM »
truth be told....,
If you can really use the 8 chans, in a controlled environment (not concert taping), the R16 is untouchable in its features, value and price.
If you want to record concerts too...stick with your Edirol.  I miss mine. 

kirk97132

« Reply #22 on: January 02, 2010, 03:52:00 PM »
Damn Nick you're killing me here!  Reading everything.....all wavy gravy and then you throw in the....."I miss mine" line in..... Shit shit shit, now I'm back to absolute indecision.  I wish someone I knew had one so I could test drive it a time or two.   

Offline bugg100

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #23 on: January 02, 2010, 04:19:12 PM »
Really want one for live taping also, but shouldn't have two recorders at once.... Just one or two more channels are all I want, and don't need phantom for direct board feeds ( tape out direct pre-fader...)

Offline Nick's Picks

« Reply #24 on: January 03, 2010, 09:39:19 AM »
I miss my Edirol solely for the "all in one HQ recording box" that ran on 4xAAs for hours..and fit in my field bag.
the Zoom..., its not a field deck ...in how we would use it for concert taping.  sure, it can be done, but its not quite as easy.

you dont just turn it on and hit "record" ..for example.
you have to create a project, all of its parameters..., etc..., then record.  and everything is a single mono channel that you have to mix in post.., even if its just two channels from a pair of mics.

If I was using mine for concert taping only, it would be sold by now as a matter of inconvenience.  But for what I bought it for..., I love it.

Offline Chris K

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Bound to cover just a little more ground
« Reply #25 on: January 03, 2010, 10:42:30 AM »
i have played around with the Zoom HD16CD. I liked the layout and the metering on the unit. It looks similar to the R16, but it is aluminum cast housing. I think it can also act as DAW controller but don't quote me on that. I would not consider this a field recorder either, as it is the footprint of a small format mixing console.

In the short time I used the HD16CD I could not figure how to transfer all the tracks to my DAW's for mixdown on my CPU. And I didn't care for the steps required to burn a rough mix CD.

For the price these Zoom units seem like a good value. 

So much so that I was thinking of getting the new(er) Zoom H4N to record rehearsals of my band as the new H4N has 4 channel recording which is unusual for a handheld. Set up the H4N in the room with the built in stereo mics (X/Y 90* or 120* spread) AND run a line into the combo xlr/trs inputs from the PA which only provides vocals during rehearsals. At the price point the H4N seems like a nice unit.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2010, 10:58:20 AM by Chris K »
My gear: JK Labs AKG DVC > M10
              AKG 460 ck61/ck62/ck63 > DR-70D

A live concert to me is exciting because of all the electricity that is generated in the crowd and on stage. It's my favorite part of the business, live concerts.
-Elvis Presley

Offline Nick's Picks

« Reply #26 on: January 04, 2010, 07:08:33 AM »
thats what I was doing previously w/my R44.  room mics and a stereo SBD feed.  But it was hard..., very little control over those 4 channels.

Offline Walstib62

• Site Supporter
« Reply #27 on: January 04, 2010, 08:03:08 AM »
i have played around with the Zoom HD16CD. I liked the layout and the metering on the unit. It looks similar to the R16, but it is aluminum cast housing. I think it can also act as DAW controller but don't quote me on that. I would not consider this a field recorder either, as it is the footprint of a small format mixing console.

In the short time I used the HD16CD I could not figure how to transfer all the tracks to my DAW's for mixdown on my CPU. And I didn't care for the steps required to burn a rough mix CD.

For the price these Zoom units seem like a good value. 

So much so that I was thinking of getting the new(er) Zoom H4N to record rehearsals of my band as the new H4N has 4 channel recording which is unusual for a handheld. Set up the H4N in the room with the built in stereo mics (X/Y 90* or 120* spread) AND run a line into the combo xlr/trs inputs from the PA which only provides vocals during rehearsals. At the price point the H4N seems like a nice unit.
I have the H4n and it is a very good feature set for the money. It has it's drawbacks, which can be worked around.

Offline Walstib62

• Site Supporter
« Reply #28 on: January 04, 2010, 08:04:09 AM »
thats what I was doing previously w/my R44.  room mics and a stereo SBD feed.  But it was hard..., very little control over those 4 channels.
Little control in what way?

Offline Nick's Picks

« Reply #29 on: January 04, 2010, 08:25:06 AM »
when you dont have a FOH guy dialing you in perfectly, you sort of get this raw mix where certain things are too loud, or too soft...and you can't do anything about it (as it comes via RCA stereo output from any given mixer).  That's a lot of channels, all control over them lost once it is summed to stereo (like the RCA outputs, main outs..etc).
especially difficult when the PA is only being used as reinforcement for certain instruments (like kick drum, for example), and vocals.
Thats hard to get a good mix from w/o being there to tweak and monitor with headphones.  Hard to do when you're on stage tearin' up the Hammond.
:)

With the zoom, I have 6 tracks of SBD to play with and two "room mic" channels if I want.  Now I have control over all of them and can mix and adjust accordingly.

Offline Walstib62

• Site Supporter
« Reply #30 on: January 04, 2010, 10:27:19 AM »
Gotcha!

Offline Chris K

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Bound to cover just a little more ground
« Reply #31 on: January 04, 2010, 12:17:04 PM »
when you dont have a FOH guy dialing you in perfectly, you sort of get this raw mix where certain things are too loud, or too soft...and you can't do anything about it (as it comes via RCA stereo output from any given mixer). 

yeah, but I was only talking about recording rehearsals with the H4N. I don't think I would use it to record an actual performance.
My gear: JK Labs AKG DVC > M10
              AKG 460 ck61/ck62/ck63 > DR-70D

A live concert to me is exciting because of all the electricity that is generated in the crowd and on stage. It's my favorite part of the business, live concerts.
-Elvis Presley

Offline cybergaloot

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Poohbah!
« Reply #32 on: January 04, 2010, 08:04:55 PM »
It's the R-44 not an R-4, slightly different.  But even though the price is cheap I'm not in a position to spend even the $400 that this unit cost unless I sell something to fund it.  I could sell my R-44 and buy this and a 4 channel Preamp( Niaant Big Box in particular) and not have to spend any money. 

I know you don't want to spend any money but don't forget that you can use the R-44 to power 4 condensor mics and then use the line outs to send those channels to the R16. You wouldn't have to buy the Big Box unless you just like its preamps better.
--
Walter

Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects. Will Rogers

this>that>the other

Offline Walstib62

• Site Supporter
« Reply #33 on: January 04, 2010, 09:09:28 PM »
AND it becomes a "safety recording"

Offline cybergaloot

• Poohbah!
« Reply #34 on: January 05, 2010, 10:27:38 AM »
I don't see where I'll be doing a lot of multi-track recording but I am interested in the R16 for the times it crops up and I had thought of using the R-44 in the way I described so I could use 6 phantom powered mics. That'll leave two channels for the soundboard.
--
Walter

this>that>the other

Offline Nick's Picks

« Reply #35 on: January 06, 2010, 07:35:57 AM »
the R16 only provides phantom to 2 of its 8 channels....so flush that notion.

Offline cybergaloot

• Poohbah!
« Reply #36 on: January 06, 2010, 08:31:32 AM »

You're not following what I was saying, by using the R-44 in conjunction with the R16 you get six phantom powered channels. Feed the line outs of the R-44 into the R16.
--
Walter

this>that>the other

Offline Walstib62

• Site Supporter
« Reply #37 on: January 06, 2010, 10:22:38 AM »
You could also use the R-44 as a stand alone, and record separately 8 channels on the R 16. You can then matrix the tracks from the 2 machines in post. 12 tracks total.

Offline cybergaloot

• Poohbah!
« Reply #38 on: January 06, 2010, 12:28:00 PM »
Yep but you might have to work to get the tracks in synch, the clocks could be off. But it is an option.
--
Walter

this>that>the other

Offline Walstib62

• Site Supporter
« Reply #39 on: January 06, 2010, 02:06:23 PM »
It is very easy to do in Audacity.

Offline cybergaloot

• Poohbah!
« Reply #40 on: January 06, 2010, 02:12:43 PM »
Synch'ing two recordings that have the same clock is easy enough but stretching one that has a shorter clock cycle to match the other is more of a problem. I'm pretty sure it can be done in Audacity, its just a bunch more work.
--
Walter

this>that>the other

Offline Walstib62

• Site Supporter
« Reply #41 on: January 06, 2010, 02:23:46 PM »
No, it's easy. You line up the waveforms at the start. You then locate identical points near the end. You divide the shorter total time by the longer total time, which gives you a value less than 1. Multiply by 100 to get % correction. Then plug that number into the speed correction tool and it's perfect.

Offline cybergaloot

• Poohbah!
« Reply #42 on: January 06, 2010, 02:37:11 PM »
Thanks, I'll have to try it that way.
--
Walter

this>that>the other

kirk97132

« Reply #43 on: January 06, 2010, 05:19:58 PM »
It's the R-44 not an R-4, slightly different.  But even though the price is cheap I'm not in a position to spend even the $400 that this unit cost unless I sell something to fund it.  I could sell my R-44 and buy this and a 4 channel Preamp( Niaant Big Box in particular) and not have to spend any money. 

I know you don't want to spend any money but don't forget that you can use the R-44 to power 4 condensor mics and then use the line outs to send those channels to the R16. You wouldn't have to buy the Big Box unless you just like its preamps better.

Only way to fund the R-16 would be to sell the R-44.  I already have two preamps so buying the big box would give me a total of 8 channels of preamps if I wanted it. 

Offline Nick's Picks

« Reply #44 on: January 07, 2010, 07:01:34 AM »
aaah, now I follow.
I know you can link two r44s, and you can do it w/two zoom boxes..., but I've never tried, nor do I know if there is even a time code I/O on the zoom.

one could always just get a phantom power source.  I think rolls makes a cheap one that does 4 or 6 channels.

Offline Walstib62

• Site Supporter
« Reply #45 on: January 07, 2010, 07:54:59 AM »

Only way to fund the R-16 would be to sell the R-44.  I already have two preamps so buying the big box would give me a total of 8 channels of preamps if I wanted it.
You'd still be using running an analog signal to the Zoom preamps, though, right? That seems like more gear/batteries to deal with.

Offline Walstib62

• Site Supporter
« Reply #46 on: January 07, 2010, 07:56:04 AM »
aaah, now I follow.
I know you can link two r44s, and you can do it w/two zoom boxes..., but I've never tried, nor do I know if there is even a time code I/O on the zoom.

one could always just get a phantom power source.  I think rolls makes a cheap one that does 4 or 6 channels.

I don't quite follow you. What are you saying?

Offline Nick's Picks

« Reply #47 on: January 07, 2010, 08:20:39 AM »
you're goal was phantom power on more than two channels, right ?
outboard phantom box..., provides that for the other 6 channels if you want.

Offline Walstib62

• Site Supporter
« Reply #48 on: January 07, 2010, 03:17:26 PM »
Actually, that was Kirk. But now I understand what you meant.

Offline cybergaloot

• Poohbah!
« Reply #49 on: January 07, 2010, 03:30:54 PM »
I was worried that it would be a worthless Tonka toy of a recorder. I'll take Nick's word that it works well. It wont replace our typical field recorders and it wont replace a real studio full of high end gear, but it looks like it can do an acceptable job of multi-track recording for those of us who don't want to sink a ton of money into that end of things. We'll see what the IRS gives me back on my taxes and I may buy one.
--
Walter

this>that>the other

Offline Walstib62

• Site Supporter
« Reply #50 on: January 07, 2010, 07:45:56 PM »
I want to do more multitrack stuff because I have many opportunities to do so. However, there are other units out there, that cost a little more, that  in some cases offer a lot more. I'd recommend looking around some more before committing to this one.

kirk97132

« Reply #51 on: January 07, 2010, 08:02:11 PM »
That is why I am so interested in this.  I have the opportunity to do multitracks with a lot of stuff I see.  And I agree that there are other units out there but they are about three times the price point.  Even with the R-44 which I have you cannot use two together since the clocks cannot be locked together.  I think for the ability to pull a live multitrack( well 8 tracks ) that it's going to be hard to beat this unit.  Of course I'd love to have something like the SD 8 track or the Tascam 8 track or hell even a stack of HD=P2's all synced, but until I hit the powerball numbers it ain't happening.  For me lugging the extra pre's and batteries is not a big deal.  I can pull off 10 tracks if I really want to now but it involves four decks and a shit load of syncing in post.  I'd like to not have to sync things and just mix it down.   I wish you lived close Nick so I could come over and play with it. 

kirk97132

« Reply #52 on: January 07, 2010, 08:05:03 PM »
you're goal was phantom power on more than two channels, right ?
outboard phantom box..., provides that for the other 6 channels if you want.

Well yes basically, but I'd like to use a little higher quality pre in front of it and run the R-16 at unity. 

Offline Nick's Picks

« Reply #53 on: January 07, 2010, 11:57:13 PM »
T  I wish you lived close Nick so I could come over and play with it. 

...if I had a nickel for every time I heard that.....: (insert follow up slam)

kirk97132

« Reply #54 on: January 08, 2010, 04:37:54 PM »
Well I guess if I'm going to load the gun AND point it the least you can do is pull the trigger >:D

I downloaded the manual.  Sorta weak looking manual.  But after reading through it I am leaning a little more towards keeping the R-44.  I still want one of the R-16's but I don't feel a confidence in it yet.

Offline Nick's Picks

« Reply #55 on: January 09, 2010, 09:41:22 AM »

You're not following what I was saying, by using the R-44 in conjunction with the R16 you get six phantom powered channels. Feed the line outs of the R-44 into the R16.

does the H4 have 4 analog outputs ?
or just a stereo output ?   
if just stereo, then that idea of 4 extra channels doesn't work.  you end up w/4 chans that will be summed and "unmixable" as a two chan stereo signal

Offline cybergaloot

• Poohbah!
« Reply #56 on: January 09, 2010, 01:09:26 PM »

does the H4 have 4 analog outputs ?
or just a stereo output ?   
if just stereo, then that idea of 4 extra channels doesn't work.  you end up w/4 chans that will be summed and "unmixable" as a two chan stereo signal

H4? I was talking about an R-44 which does have four line outs which can either set to output each channel individually or be set to sum the four inputs into just two of the outputs.

That's a great feature I've used a few times. I can set the R-44 to a sum stereo output and make a quick recording into my Zoom H2 for the band or have a patch for them if they have a recorder. And I have used the two channel outputs that come from the board to give another taper board access. That worked great at bear Creek where the other taper only had cables with RCA jacks when the board needed XLR's.
--
Walter

this>that>the other

Offline Nick's Picks

« Reply #57 on: January 10, 2010, 07:58:26 AM »
i'm having dual conversations between you and Kirkd (with the H4N).
I khow your cool w'the R44 and its output.

Offline cybergaloot

• Poohbah!
« Reply #58 on: January 10, 2010, 03:22:14 PM »

You had quoted me, hence the confusion.
--
Walter

this>that>the other

kirk97132

« Reply #59 on: January 10, 2010, 04:25:22 PM »
Actually I own an R-44 not the H4N ;D

Offline Nick's Picks

« Reply #60 on: January 11, 2010, 07:34:54 AM »
ok, chalk it up to me being stupid ?
:)  I can live w/that.

Offline cybergaloot

• Poohbah!
« Reply #61 on: January 11, 2010, 09:01:23 AM »
Nah, you just got a little turned around in the discussion. I appreciate your comments, didn't you start this topic to begin with? Since I'm interested in this unit, I'm glad to hear back from somebody who has used one.

I know that it will be missing some of the features a higher priced unit will have. I don't expect it to replace studio gear or anything like that. I'm just after six or eight tracks of reasonable/listenable quality. The R16 sounds like it will do that if you are willing to work with its limitations. For as little as I'll use it, its probably the best deal for me.
--
Walter

this>that>the other

Offline Nick's Picks

« Reply #62 on: January 11, 2010, 09:08:31 AM »
I have  not really found any limitations to the deck that have come into play with how we use it in the band.
sub group out from the main mixer (8 chans is what our board can put out from its 32chan), and those 8 go right into the Zoom.  we dont need phantom power in our studio as we use all dynamic mics for everything and run the instruments direct into the board when possible.

Offline Nick's Picks

« Reply #63 on: January 12, 2010, 09:41:02 AM »
From last Thurs:
http://nickspicks.com/mp3/mullet-kings.mp3
two songs, segue from one to the next.

a little distorted w/the kick drum (too hot), and I didn't mix the vocals as high as I wanted..but this is what I have for a rough mix.  Still enjoying this deck for our multi-tracking of practices.  Will be using it live next Sat. for the first time.  Private party ...., our first gig w/the new bass player.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2010, 09:42:45 AM by Nick's Picks »

kirk97132

« Reply #64 on: January 12, 2010, 01:28:53 PM »
Stupid.NAH.  A little confused, well maybe but then again I get confused easily in my old age 8)

Offline cybergaloot

• Poohbah!
« Reply #65 on: January 12, 2010, 02:47:58 PM »
Stupid.NAH.  A little confused, well maybe but then again I get confused easily in my old age 8)

Don't feel lonely about that!
--
Walter

this>that>the other

kirk97132

« Reply #66 on: January 12, 2010, 03:46:12 PM »

Don't feel lonely about that!
Lonely about what ::)

kirk97132

« Reply #67 on: January 12, 2010, 03:58:51 PM »
I have  not really found any limitations to the deck that have come into play with how we use it in the band.
sub group out from the main mixer (8 chans is what our board can put out from its 32chan), and those 8 go right into the Zoom.  we dont need phantom power in our studio as we use all dynamic mics for everything and run the instruments direct into the board when possible.

Really do appreciate all the feedback you've given Nick.  Even though it seems I won't be able to give up my R-44 I am still very interested in this.  It is just so hard to dismiss the 8 track recording ability at this price. 

Offline Nick's Picks

« Reply #68 on: January 13, 2010, 07:40:16 AM »
we had some good takes last night.  when I'm finished mixing I"ll post another sample.  we are still ironing out this unit, and every time we use it the product gets better.  we just need isolation w/the vocals and we're in business.  we need a headphone distribution box to really do things right.  private monitors to sing with..etc.

Offline Nick's Picks

« Reply #69 on: January 16, 2010, 09:31:23 AM »
http://nippinthenub.com/mp3/2010-01-14-PRACTICE/

take your pic.  they're all very decent.
props to "John the Mullet" / Peacock / The Scoundrel / Kings Displeasure / Maggies Farm / Groovin' ....
fun stuff.   my isolation tricks worked well.   within a month, we'll have this deck mastered and will start using the sub-bank of 8 more channels to record on top of 8 previous (it is a 16 track recorder, but limited to 8 per session).

we are buying a headphone distribution amp and 4 pans of cans ....and then we will be producing our own demo / album.
F' da man and his high priced studio time.  they dont know they are dealing with TS.com !
:)

Offline Walstib62

• Site Supporter
« Reply #70 on: January 16, 2010, 11:33:34 AM »
You go boy!!!

kirk97132

« Reply #71 on: January 16, 2010, 05:53:45 PM »
Keep the reviews coming Nick.   Especially with Tascam's new 8 track recorder @ $1K I am getting so very very confused. 

Question Nick....I know you said you thought the pre's might be a little "brighter" than the R-44's.  Is that a little of a high end bump?  Have you tried runnin any condensers into it, or more specifically have you run any mics with an external preamp into?  What I'm wondering is what the pres sound like at unity.  We'll actually I'm hoping at unity they don't color the sound.   Thanks again, Kirk

Offline Nick's Picks

« Reply #72 on: January 16, 2010, 11:00:02 PM »
i think the units stock preamps are decent.  Excellent, no.  but you get what you pay for.
they sound better than a stock UA5.   I like it better than many stock preamps in the decks we use.
I run several condensers into it.  Usually for drum overheads and spot mics.   And in this regard, when you're using one, or two (different mics at that), its hard to determine coloration in the sound based on our use.  Overall, I'd say they are relatively clean, but with a higher than you'd want to see on paper noise floor.  Which could be an issue in a really controlled environment, but I"m suspecting not an issue for us (thus far) as our studio is less than "isolated" as we would want it in a real pro setting.  IN a booth, you can run a preamp very, very quiet.  To the point where "noise" isn't an issue, even with a less than quality preamp.  Its about eliminating the noise floor, which allows you to run a preamp very softly.

You tell me.  When you listen to this stuff, does it sound colored?
this last mix I posted is clean of all effects, compression...etc.  All the common tricks of the trade when it comes to getting that pro sounding mix.
I have not had an instance of need to run outboard preamps and run it at line level input.  The stock ones are fine for what we do, and I can only use condensers on two chan's any way.., which is two preamps at my disposal should I need them.

the "line level" inputs are coming off of the main board, so those are going through the preamps (though with dynamics) on that board...which are decent.  Its Berringers top of the line Europower 32chan board.  Passive.   The preamps are the best Berringer has, but certainly not A&H quality.  Again, you get what you pay for.  The Zoom has no trouble w/any signal fed to it.  No such thing as "too hot".  And there is a hi/low Z selection on one channel for plugging instruments direct if needed.  Again, we run direct into the big board, and sub groups out from there to the Zoom.

Since i've been recording our practices..., these pulls w/the stock zoom have been far superior to anything else down there.., which previously would have been the R44 with two stock channels getting an unmixable RCA stereo feed from the main mixer, and two Cmod channels to run either my LSD2/Pulsars or Scheops when I had them.   We made great pulls w/that, but not nearly as flexible as what the zoom offers, and it does not sound bad.

As you listen to the samples, anything offensive you hear is far more likely to be caused by pilot error in mixing/mastering.   
Learning curve...Like I said.
for example..., those 8 inputs need to be QUITE..., peaking at maybe -12 in 24bit.  Maybe.  And even then, I still often find myself dropping the overall gain by 5-10db on top of the low level inputs that were recorded.
Because..., after you adjust their individual gain (like a virtual mixer..think of it as the fader), and pan instruments where I want them..., add a little compression to the drum kit..., if I mix and render them even after all that reduction in signal db, the resulting two tracks are always HOT.  And most times I have to go back and reduce the gain again by a few db until the end result comes out looking like a good 16bit file should look (with averages of -4 to -2db and an occasional peak of +2...., the deck is very forgiving when it comes to clipping.  You've got to really have it pegged to fuck it up.

My biggest complaint thus far is that the menu sucks.  I still need to consult the manual every time we want to try something different.

Tell you what though, Im learning all sorts of great instrument micing techniques.  Reading some, making up others.
for example.  we use one channel of my LSD2 as an over head.  We tried it in omni.  sounded very real..but too much bleed from the other instruments.  Tried it in card mode, much better...but it was still 3+ feet over the toms/cymbals.
Thursday, I rested the mic horizontally w/the top cap right between the two rack mounted toms.  I used a figure 8 on that one channel, w/the in phase lobe pointing left (snare, HH, left tom, left cymbals) and the left lobe , out of phase..picked up the right side of the kit from that 2nd tom, ride cymbals, blocks/bells and floor tom.  Separate condenser (pulsar II) on the kick.  Its the best sounding pull from the drum kit yet.
all about experimenting.  we learn  a lot every week about this deck.  And there is a lot to learn.  This thing is night and day compared to any of our usual suspect concert taping decks where the manual never gets opened as the decks are so intuitive.  But...the Zoom has a zillion more features as its a recorder secondly, and a mixer first and foremost.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2010, 11:08:59 PM by Nick's Picks »

Offline yug du nord

• ...til things never seen seem familiar…
  • Trade Count: (56)
  • made with natural flavor
« Reply #73 on: January 17, 2010, 12:36:52 AM »
^^^good stuff!
.....got a blank space where my mind should be.....

kirk97132

« Reply #74 on: January 17, 2010, 04:53:10 PM »
Thanks a lot Nick.  That was some really good stuff! and thanks a lot for letting me ask you the stupid questions and pick your brain.  As an outside observer to this, it looks like this is going to be a hard unit to beat for the price.   Even with other 8track recorders hitting the market this thing is 1/3 the price of it's competitors.  That will keep it an attractive alternative for a long time.

Offline cybergaloot

• Poohbah!
« Reply #75 on: February 21, 2010, 01:25:07 PM »
OK, I got mine and I'm still trying to learn how to use it. I've run a couple of recordings so far, mainly tests of some mics. One thing I've run into is what appears to be a 2GB file limit. I don't know for sure until I dig into it deeper but I was testing some cheap mics I have to see if they would be suitable for a project and the recorder did shut down sometime during a 2 hour set. This could be my own ignorance or just the way the recorder works. I did have four channels set as two stereo pairs. It may have run longer if I left them as mono files.
--
Walter

this>that>the other

Offline Nick's Picks

« Reply #76 on: February 21, 2010, 04:29:23 PM »
I've not run any two channel recordings with it to exceed any limit yet.  but then again, I'm doing 8 tracks mostly, and a 3 hour session comes in at about 5gb worth of files ( divided by 8).

Not exactly a turn key intuitive deck like the Edirols eh ?
Its taken me a while to learn how to use 70% of it.  We are just getting to the point now where we are utilizing tracks 9-16, laying down on top of 1-8 and doing all the mixing on the board itself.  Headphones for each band member, and a mixing station with near-field monitors ( I hate mixing on headphones)
« Last Edit: February 21, 2010, 04:50:46 PM by Nick's Picks »

Offline cybergaloot

• Poohbah!
« Reply #77 on: February 21, 2010, 04:47:30 PM »
Since it wasn't really designed to be a field recorder I wouldn't be surprised that file size was a low priority. It also did not start writing a new file either.

The first time I ran it I didn't run into this but then I had it writing mono files and the set didn't go so long.

A couple of samples:
CA-1 (omni)>battery box>R16
http://yodaslai.ipower.com/bradfordvilleblues/media/CA-1.wav
CA-11 (omni)>CA-9000 pre>R16
http://yodaslai.ipower.com/bradfordvilleblues/media/CA-11.wav
--
Walter

this>that>the other

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.373 seconds with 106 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com