Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Edirol R-09HR - Part TWO  (Read 113971 times)

Offline jonbo

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
Re: Edirol R-09HR - Part TWO
« Reply #120 on: July 14, 2008, 10:49:32 AM »
This looks like it will be a nice upgrade over the h120.
AT853 > 3-wire BB > H120

Offline digifish_music

• Taperssection All-Star
    • digifish music
« Reply #121 on: July 15, 2008, 08:02:13 AM »
In the field...  ;D

- What's this knob do?

Offline flintstone

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #122 on: July 15, 2008, 09:32:49 AM »
"The Kookaburra sits in the old gum tree..."

Offline digifish_music

• Taperssection All-Star
    • digifish music
« Reply #123 on: July 15, 2008, 07:46:59 PM »
"The Kookaburra sits in the old gum tree..."

:)

He sat anywhere he wanted really...

BTW: I have now done some considerable experimentation with the internal mics of the HR for rainforest bird sounds, will post examples shortly.

digifish
« Last Edit: July 15, 2008, 07:48:50 PM by digifish_music »
- What's this knob do?

Offline bmr

• Taperssection Regular
    • Pearl Jam Bit Torrents
« Reply #124 on: July 15, 2008, 08:36:45 PM »
I have a pair of AT943s (SP-CMC-8s) and a SP-SPSB-1 battery box (with the bass roll off option)...

Simple question, if I'm looking to carry as little gear as possible, while still properly powering my mics for indie/rock concerts in anywhere from 200-person capacity clubs to arenas, do I have any chance of getting away with NOT using the battery box with the R-09HR? Or does the lack of power the R-09HR transmits to the mics completely prevent me from that sort of thing?

I guess I'm just curious as to what my options are as far as reducing my gear for low-pro jobs, and the settings I'll need to use on the R-09HR with those respective options.

It's been a long time since I've taped, largely because I didn't like the amount of gear I had to get into venues, though looking at the R-09 and realizing I could end up swapping out my UA-5 & JB3 for a battery box and the R-09 has got me itching to get back into the game. Thanks so much for any advice!

Offline Dede2002

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #125 on: July 15, 2008, 09:04:08 PM »
I have a pair of AT943s (SP-CMC-8s) and a SP-SPSB-1 battery box (with the bass roll off option)...

Simple question, if I'm looking to carry as little gear as possible, while still properly powering my mics for indie/rock concerts in anywhere from 200-person capacity clubs to arenas, do I have any chance of getting away with NOT using the battery box with the R-09HR? Or does the lack of power the R-09HR transmits to the mics completely prevent me from that sort of thing?

I guess I'm just curious as to what my options are as far as reducing my gear for low-pro jobs, and the settings I'll need to use on the R-09HR with those respective options.

It's been a long time since I've taped, largely because I didn't like the amount of gear I had to get into venues, though looking at the R-09 and realizing I could end up swapping out my UA-5 & JB3 for a battery box and the R-09 has got me itching to get back into the game. Thanks so much for any advice!

Hi,

I would bring the bb. I like my mics to be properly powered.
Take care ;)
Mics..........................SP-CMC-8, HLSC-1 and HLSO-MICRO
BB and Preamps........MM Micro bb / MM Custom Elite bb / Church 9100

Recorders...................Tascam DR-100MKIII, Marantz PMD 620 MKII, Edirol R-09

Offline bmr

• Taperssection Regular
    • Pearl Jam Bit Torrents
« Reply #126 on: July 15, 2008, 11:06:09 PM »

Hi,

Take care ;)

Well, right...

But are you saying that because of the actual necessity given the equipment specified? Or just as a general rule? Because I certainly agree with the latter, hence my question...though that doesn't dismiss the former :)

Offline war throat

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #127 on: July 15, 2008, 11:17:20 PM »

A couple weeks ago I ran my CA STC-11s into the mic in on my R-09HR, low gain, plug-in power on, and recorded a set of a doomish metal band in a small bar/club. It was pretty damn loud, even with earplugs, and the recording turned out just fine (It actually sounded better than the Dragonforce show I taped earlier in the night at a 1000-1500 person theater,line-in with a battery box. I accidentally had the low cut on, so that recording sounded a bit thin.) The levels were peaking above -6db and, as I recall, I was running the input at around 70. So I think in a pinch you get by without a battery box as long your mics can handle bass well.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2008, 11:52:09 PM by war throat »

Offline Falconidave

• Trade Count: (35)
  • Taperssection Member
  • "I went to too many concerts" said no one ever!
« Reply #128 on: July 15, 2008, 11:53:33 PM »
Can anybody guess whether the Edirol R-09HR can be detected by metal detectors or not? Because we have those in our biggest concert venue :( They didn't react to my cheap (mostly plastic) camera that I had hidden in my pants so I'm somehow hoping the detectors detect only bigger metal items such as the Olympus LS-10 :)

Don't know about the HR, but the R-09 reportedly doesn't set off most metal detectors or wands, probably b/c it's 95% plastic.  8)  HR doesn't look much different.  Anyone know for sure?

I took my 09HR to work today and ran a test with a standard Garrett Wand and it failed at every location, even crotched.  Don't count on getting through just because of the high plastic content...

David
Mics: Schoeps MK41; AT853(3-wire)(c,o); AT943(3-wire)(c,o); AT933(3-wire)(c,o); Shure 185(c); Sony ECM-166BMP (o); Sony ECM-166BC (c).
Interconnects: NBob Actives
Preamps: BabyNbox v2
Recorders: Sony PCM-A10(2); Sony PCM-M10; Edirol R-09HR; Sony MZ-RH1
Video: Panasonic HDC-TM700 HD; Panasonic Lumix GX85; Panasonic Lumix DMC ZS100; Canon PowerShot SX50 HD; Sony DSC-HX50V

Offline Dede2002

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #129 on: July 16, 2008, 09:50:10 AM »

Hi,

Take care ;)

Well, right...

But are you saying that because of the actual necessity given the equipment specified? Or just as a general rule? Because I certainly agree with the latter, hence my question...though that doesn't dismiss the former :)

Hello,
As far as I'm concerned, there's no such thing as a general rule in this hobby ;). Yes. your mics will work with plug in power. But with the regular 9v bb power, you (sort of) eliminate the chances of brickwalling in a realy loud show :P. Plus, with a bb, you can run Line In, which is usually cleaner sounding than Mic In. A bb is not really a problem in my case: I use a very, very, very small unit (size of a Zippo lighter).
Hope that helps.Take care.  ;)
Mics..........................SP-CMC-8, HLSC-1 and HLSO-MICRO
BB and Preamps........MM Micro bb / MM Custom Elite bb / Church 9100

Recorders...................Tascam DR-100MKIII, Marantz PMD 620 MKII, Edirol R-09

Offline prof_peabody

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Team Houston
« Reply #130 on: July 16, 2008, 11:12:16 AM »
Can anybody guess whether the Edirol R-09HR can be detected by metal detectors or not? Because we have those in our biggest concert venue :( They didn't react to my cheap (mostly plastic) camera that I had hidden in my pants so I'm somehow hoping the detectors detect only bigger metal items such as the Olympus LS-10 :)

Don't know about the HR, but the R-09 reportedly doesn't set off most metal detectors or wands, probably b/c it's 95% plastic.  8)  HR doesn't look much different.  Anyone know for sure?

I took my 09HR to work today and ran a test with a standard Garrett Wand and it failed at every location, even crotched.  Don't count on getting through just because of the high plastic content...

David

Most brands of wands have a sensitivity setting (quite a few of the Garrett models).  If you set the sensitivity to high, it will be set off by a dime in your pocket, or sometimes even a metal fly zipper.  Most venues do not leave their wands set to high, because it would go off at almost anything.  My experience has been that the R-09 does not set off wands, unless they are set to high sensitivity. 

I'm still not sure why you care about setting off wands.  Even if it does set it off it's not hard to get it in.  Be creative, be assertive.

Offline gewwang

« Reply #131 on: July 16, 2008, 11:23:26 AM »

David

Most brands of wands have a sensitivity setting (quite a few of the Garrett models).  If you set the sensitivity to high, it will be set off by a dime in your pocket, or sometimes even a metal fly zipper.  Most venues do not leave their wands set to high, because it would go off at almost anything.  My experience has been that the R-09 does not set off wands, unless they are set to high sensitivity. 

I'm still not sure why you care about setting off wands.  Even if it does set it off it's not hard to get it in.  Be creative, be assertive.

If I can get the 722 into 3 different venues that used wands with nothing going off or questions from security, the r09hr won't be a problem.

Offline prof_peabody

• Team Houston
« Reply #132 on: July 16, 2008, 11:28:04 AM »

If I can get the 722 into 3 different venues that used wands with nothing going off or questions from security, the r09hr won't be a problem.

George - what goes on between you and the security guards in the back room is your own business.   :-X

j/k  :laugh:

Personally, I don't worry about setting off metal detectors, happens quite a bit, never had a problem getting in.

Offline rastasean

• in paradise
  • Trade Count: (23)
« Reply #133 on: July 16, 2008, 01:09:56 PM »
Well since its your recording, you should try it both ways.  ::)

Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it’s worth.

Offline Mr.Scully

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Regular
    • Queen Concerts
« Reply #134 on: July 16, 2008, 02:15:10 PM »

Yes, I know how to hide the recorder that even if it sets off the alarm, they won't find it (because it's hidden... you know where ;-)) But I still prefer not to draw the attention of the security to me. Even if nobody in this country has any weapons, we still have very strict rules about taking photos or recording anything in our biggest arena (built only recently). The security is really tight for some unknown reason.

Anyway, I think I have decided and I'll buy the Edirol R-09HR.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.153 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com