Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Edirol R-09HR - Part TWO  (Read 114191 times)

Offline Dede2002

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Re: Edirol R-09HR - Part TWO
« Reply #225 on: August 06, 2008, 05:02:39 PM »
I'm getting ready to tape my second show ever, and I've got a question about setting levels. Since I'm using a R-09HR, I thought I'd ask it here to get gear specific answers. Hope that's OK.

Rest of gear:
mics: SP-CMC-22 (cardioids)
batt box: SP-SPSB-9 (with an in-line level control)

What I'm concerned about is this: when testing, I can't seem to do anything to get the thing to peak. My understanding is that I want to get things set just under peak and use that. Now maybe, with home audio equipment, as opposed to live concert, it won't ever be loud enough, but that's why I'm asking. Here's what I've tried:

1) the one show I recorded was an opera. I was in the first row, 10 feet from orchestra. With batt box line in at max and recorder at max, the level indicators were going up to about the 40 mark (is that -40dB?)

2)Testing at home, playing Keb Mo on my computer, with Bose speakers turned to their max volume, mics about 3 ft away, batt box level at max, same with edirol:

a) batt box, mic in: levels reach about 30-25
b) batt box, line in: levels reach about 35-30
c) no batt box, mic in, plug-in power on: levels reach about 12

Listening back with headphones on the edirol, the last one sounded the best.

So my question is this: is this normal? It seems odd to me that I'd need to set the Edirol at max (80) to basically recorder anything that is of sort of normal volume. Since I bought it to record loud shows and since boosting is always possible, I'm not terribly concerned. But I do want to understand my equipment and process, and, especially, find out if there's something I'm doing wrong.

Oh, all the back of the recorder buttons were off, except when I used the plug-in power mentioned above.

Thanks for any insights, advice, etc. Don't know how I'd function without this place.

Stay cool. A live concert will always be much, much, much louder than you home stereo.
Your opera recording is the one that really makes me think. With everything at max volume ( bb and recorder) you should be able to reach peaking levels easily. Are you using fresh batteries on your bb? I've had serious problems with bad batteries. No, it's not normal to use your R-09HR at maximum recording levels, unless you're taping a bunch of ants chatting.  ;D
BTW, never leave you plug in power buttom ON when you're not running Mic In. It takes like 6 db from your recorder levels ( so I'm told)
Another thing. If you run 24 bit/48 or 88 or 96, you don't need to set things just under peak, to use your words. What for? The only thing you can have doing so is clipping due no unexpected loud sounds.
That's the beauty of 24 bit recording: set you levels to peak at -12db to -6db and you're golden. There will be enough headroom, so no surprises, no clipping. All you have to do is add gain using your favorite software back home.
Hope that helps. Good luck and good recording.
Mics..........................SP-CMC-8, HLSC-1 and HLSO-MICRO
BB and Preamps........MM Micro bb / MM Custom Elite bb / Church 9100

Recorders...................Tascam DR-100MKIII, Marantz PMD 620 MKII, Edirol R-09

Offline boolz

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #226 on: August 06, 2008, 05:17:37 PM »
Stay cool. A live concert will always be much, much, much louder than you home stereo.
Your opera recording is the one that really makes me think. With everything at max volume ( bb and recorder) you should be able to reach peaking levels easily. Are you using fresh batteries on your bb? I've had serious problems with bad batteries. No, it's not normal to use your R-09HR at maximum recording levels, unless you're taping a bunch of ants chatting.  ;D

I used a fresh battery for the opera, but have that same battery in the batt box now. But I am suspicious of the batt box. I've had times when it didn't work at all. Still worried about the need to have the Ed set so high, but I'll take your advice and stay cool, at least until I've done a loud show. Don't know what this one tonight will be like in that regard.

BTW, never leave you plug in power buttom ON when you're not running Mic In. It takes like 6 db from your recorder levels ( so I'm told)
Another thing. If you run 24 bit/48 or 88 or 96, you don't need to set things just under peak, to use your words.

Feel free to correct my jargon. Learning the lingo here is half the battle sometimes. And thanks for the help!

Offline Arni99

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #227 on: August 06, 2008, 05:23:51 PM »
Is the level-control-cable removable?
Try to replace the level-control-cable with a usual 1/8" to 1/8" and check the levels one more time.
Those level-control-cables generally attenuate the signal.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2008, 05:28:05 PM by Arni99 »
1st: SONY PCM-M10 + DPA 4060's + DPA MPS 6030 power supply (microdot)
2nd: iPhone 5 + "Rode iXY" microphone/"Zoom IQ5" microphone

Offline Dede2002

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #228 on: August 06, 2008, 05:25:05 PM »

I used a fresh battery for the opera, but have that same battery in the batt box now. But I am suspicious of the batt box. I've had times when it didn't work at all. Still worried about the need to have the Ed set so high, but I'll take your advice and stay cool, at least until I've done a loud show. Don't know what this one tonight will be like in that regard.

Another thing. If you run 24 bit/48 or 88 or 96, you don't need to set things just under peak, to use your words.

Feel free to correct my jargon. Learning the lingo here is half the battle sometimes. And thanks for the help!

;D Excuse me? I can't correct you, my friend. I don't even write in decent English ( not my primary language) Your words are perfect and I just used the very same words because I didn't know how to write it better  :yack: :yack: :yack:
Take care

Recorders...................Tascam DR-100MKIII, Marantz PMD 620 MKII, Edirol R-09

Offline boolz

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #229 on: August 06, 2008, 05:30:49 PM »
Is the level-control-cable removable?
Try to replace the level-control-cable with a usual 1/8" to 1/8" and check the levels one more time.

It is removable, but I don't have a plain cable to check with. It sounds like great advice, though, so I'll pick one up.

(I did wonder if the direction of the cable made a difference, because I wasn't sure if I had it in the original direction, but that doesn't seem to effect anything, as far as I can tell by switching it around)

Offline a-dub

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #230 on: August 07, 2008, 12:37:39 PM »
One quick moment of thanks to everyone for sharing their thoughts and experiences with the R-09HR. I'm finally going to pull the trigger on one now. YIPPEEEEEE!
Shhh, silence is golden.

Offline Dede2002

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #231 on: August 07, 2008, 12:57:13 PM »
One quick moment of thanks to everyone for sharing their thoughts and experiences with the R-09HR. I'm finally going to pull the trigger on one now. YIPPEEEEEE!

Go for it  ;D

Offline nottingham

• Trade Count: (18)
  • Taperssection Member
  • There's wisemen hiding in the mountains
« Reply #232 on: August 07, 2008, 04:35:11 PM »
I'm finally going to pull the trigger on one now.

;D
Schoeps MK4-MK41>cmc6/Nbob actives/Naiant LB/Naiant TB > Sony M10/PMD620

Offline JD

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #233 on: August 09, 2008, 12:08:01 AM »
Well it looks like some of my 4 month old rechargeable Sanyo AA batteries are no longer good  :angry2:. Being the batteries are under warranty, I really don't want to buy new ones at this point. Problem is I have a 3 1/2 day festival coming up next week and I will need to fill in the gaps between charges with alkaline AAs.

Does anyone know how long the R09hr will go on a set of alkaline AAs?
Mics: DPA 4022, 4060; Nevaton MC51, MCE400; Gefell sms2000, m20, m21, m27
Pres: DPA MMA6000; Grace V2; Portico 5012; Sonosax SX-M2
Recorders: Edirol R09hr, Sound Devices 722

Offline Olychild

• Taperssection Member
  • Recovering Luddite
« Reply #234 on: August 09, 2008, 08:42:49 PM »
Well it looks like some of my 4 month old rechargeable Sanyo AA batteries are no longer good  :angry2:. Being the batteries are under warranty, I really don't want to buy new ones at this point. Problem is I have a 3 1/2 day festival coming up next week and I will need to fill in the gaps between charges with alkaline AAs.

Does anyone know how long the R09hr will go on a set of alkaline AAs?
I used some at Pickathon & they crapped out at about 3 hours.
Recording: CA-14 > CA-9100 > R09HR
Playback: 70's solid state thrift scores
Riding: Vespa LX-150, Firestone Speed Cruiser II, Burley Runabout

Offline JD

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #235 on: August 10, 2008, 02:16:46 AM »
I used some at Pickathon & they crapped out at about 3 hours.

That's what I was afraid of, guess I'll need a bunch. Thanks  +

Offline Arni99

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #236 on: August 10, 2008, 02:43:05 AM »
4h-4h30min with 2 x 1,2V rechargeables.
I wouldn´t dare taping more than 4 hours (2 or 3 bands) with 1 set of rechargeables.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2008, 06:31:52 AM by Arni99 »
1st: SONY PCM-M10 + DPA 4060's + DPA MPS 6030 power supply (microdot)
2nd: iPhone 5 + "Rode iXY" microphone/"Zoom IQ5" microphone

Offline JD

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #237 on: August 10, 2008, 03:26:20 AM »
4h-4h30min with 2x1,5V rechargeables.
I wouldn´t dare taping more than 4 hours (2 or 3 bands) with 1 set of rechargeables.

I am getting about 7 hours with my sanyo 2700 rechargeables.
Was just curious about times with non rechargeable alkaline batteries being I don't have enough rechargeables for 3+ days of recording.

Offline Carlos E. Martinez

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #238 on: August 10, 2008, 06:18:42 AM »
4h-4h30min with 2x1,5V rechargeables.

What AA 1.5v rechargeables are you talking about? AFAIK all rechargeable AAs are 1.2v and NiMH types.

What I do know are about a new NiMH type, which is low discharge and might be interesting.

Offline Becks Dark

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #239 on: August 11, 2008, 04:23:53 AM »
Well my Edirol HR failed me with the mic jack problem common to the previous model. I had static and 2-3 second dropouts. It depressed me after all the work involved, not to mention a recording that is almost impossible to fix. I'm going to have to send it in for repair which will take 3 weeks. When I get it back I'm going to use the hot glue method that was mentioned earlier. I wish they would beef up the jacks to be able to take normal wear and tear.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.094 seconds with 44 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com