Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Edirol R-09HR - Part TWO  (Read 114181 times)

Offline Arni99

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
Re: Edirol R-09HR - Part TWO
« Reply #285 on: August 19, 2008, 01:41:29 AM »
checking in (for the record)....I taped the other night for the first time with my compact rig - DPA 4061's > SP Batt.Box > R-09HR (line-in) with great results at about 25ft. from the stage taping three bands with levels from 65-72, so I guess with no preamp in front (except for the R-09's pre) and the 4061's you should get as close to the sound source as possible to get the best recording if your in the very far back 50ft. or more from stage you'll probably have to run the levels around max (80). This was rockabilly, indie rock, and bluegrass amplified.
I always run mic-in with battery box on the r09 with dpa4061 and get great results and 20db less gain needed from the internal preamp.
Mic-in is about 20db more sensitive than line-in.
1st: SONY PCM-M10 + DPA 4060's + DPA MPS 6030 power supply (microdot)
2nd: iPhone 5 + "Rode iXY" microphone/"Zoom IQ5" microphone

Online Craig T

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • LMA
« Reply #286 on: August 20, 2008, 09:42:32 AM »
surprisingly good recording I did over the weekend using just the r09hr's internal mics (low gain, no HPF, no limiter).  quite an impressive little box. 
http://taperssection.com/index.php/topic,108922.0.html
Schoeps cmc6/4v / Beyer mc950 / Line Audio CM3, OM1 / ADK A51 / Church Audio CA-14
Naiant Tinybox v2.2 / NBox(P) / Church Audio ST9200 / CA-UGLY
Sony PCM-M10 / Zoom F3 / Zoom F6

Offline gmm6797

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Schoeps MK4 > nBoxPlat > Sony A10/SDMixPre6/SD 722
    • Homepage
« Reply #287 on: August 20, 2008, 03:08:27 PM »
FWIW, I have taped 3 shows already this week with the R09hr at different levels, and I do not see or hear any side effects of the deck itself.

When changing from the unity gain of 8 on the plain R09, I see see and hear differences.

Anyone else getting the same results as me?

Offline Dede2002

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #288 on: August 20, 2008, 03:40:28 PM »
FWIW, I have taped 3 shows already this week with the R09hr at different levels, and I do not see or hear any side effects of the deck itself.

When changing from the unity gain of 8 on the plain R09, I see see and hear differences.

Same thing here. I've taped at (very) different levels. Also I've been using my R-09HR with my CA-9100 at different levels, from 35 to 50. To my ears, no difference.
Mics..........................SP-CMC-8, HLSC-1 and HLSO-MICRO
BB and Preamps........MM Micro bb / MM Custom Elite bb / Church 9100

Recorders...................Tascam DR-100MKIII, Marantz PMD 620 MKII, Edirol R-09

Offline jmz93

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #289 on: August 20, 2008, 04:53:48 PM »

Same thing here. I've taped at (very) different levels. Also I've been using my R-09HR with my CA-9100 at different levels, from 35 to 50. To my ears, no difference.

Do we know where unity gain is on the R9HR line in yet?  I know, it keeps coming up, but some of us are lazy and don't want to do our own measurements/guesses.  :) Is it just wherever the unit sets itself by default when new?

Getting my HR tomorrow... can't wait!

DPA 4061's, CA9100 preamp, R9HR!

Offline Dede2002

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #290 on: August 20, 2008, 05:02:05 PM »

Do we know where unity gain is on the R9HR line in yet?  I know, it keeps coming up, but some of us are lazy and don't want to do our own measurements/guesses.  :) Is it just wherever the unit sets itself by default when new?

Getting my HR tomorrow... can't wait!

DPA 4061's, CA9100 preamp, R9HR!

Almost the same gear I own. Better mics though.
Well, the old unity discussion. Last word says something around 50 to 56. I've used the default (40) and even less (35). Great sounding no matter what. ;)
Mics..........................SP-CMC-8, HLSC-1 and HLSO-MICRO
BB and Preamps........MM Micro bb / MM Custom Elite bb / Church 9100

Recorders...................Tascam DR-100MKIII, Marantz PMD 620 MKII, Edirol R-09

Offline jobseek2001

• Taperssection Newbie
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #291 on: August 21, 2008, 12:41:11 AM »
Do we know where unity gain is on the R9HR line in yet? 
This has been discussed int his thread, a few pages back. No measurements needed, just reading.

Offline Falconidave

• Trade Count: (35)
  • Taperssection Member
  • "I went to too many concerts" said no one ever!
« Reply #292 on: August 23, 2008, 01:53:15 AM »

Same here, last 3 shows using the CA Ugly maxed at +20db.  The latest one, Steely Dan last night at Nokia in Texas.  Had the HR line-in input level at near 70, and sounds sweet!!  Check it out here: http://www.thetradersden.org/forums/showthread.php?t=63213

David
Mics: Schoeps MK41; AT853(3-wire)(c,o); AT943(3-wire)(c,o); AT933(3-wire)(c,o); Shure 185(c); Sony ECM-166BMP (o); Sony ECM-166BC (c).
Interconnects: NBob Actives
Preamps: BabyNbox v2
Recorders: Sony PCM-A10(2); Sony PCM-M10; Edirol R-09HR; Sony MZ-RH1
Video: Panasonic HDC-TM700 HD; Panasonic Lumix GX85; Panasonic Lumix DMC ZS100; Canon PowerShot SX50 HD; Sony DSC-HX50V

Offline digifish_music

• Taperssection All-Star
    • digifish music
« Reply #293 on: August 23, 2008, 02:07:25 AM »
Just linking in a comparison of the R44, R09HR and R09 internal mic preamps with external mics...

http://taperssection.com/index.php/topic,109081.msg1456339.html#msg1456339
- What's this knob do?

Offline jmz93

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #294 on: August 23, 2008, 03:44:21 AM »
Hi folks.

First, thanks David for that Steely Dan recording! Are there many showing up from this tour?

Well, my R9HR arrived. Like others here, I'm impressed with the lower noise and the more solid construction.  GREAT!

As a musician, I'll actually be using the internal mics plus AGC to do quick and dirty recordings of things like guitar lessons, practice sessions etc. where quality isn't an issue. So, I'm glad to see they got rid of that weird ziiip noise whenever the AGC adjusts the levels.

I'm not impressed with the variable speed playback, however.  I routinely slow parts of songs down, to figure out what notes are being played. Presumably, this feature was added for musicians like me.  Anyway, slowing things down echoes severely, making it practically unusable.  A plugin I have for Winamp does a better job, along with just about any application on the PC for slowing music down. 

Maybe there isn't enough processing power in the unit to accomplish this task properly ... any thoughts?

Taping some acoustic jazz up close on Sunday; small room, DPA's, CA preamp, probably 24 bit/88.2K.  Can't wait to hear the results!

Offline digifish_music

• Taperssection All-Star
    • digifish music
« Reply #295 on: August 23, 2008, 04:08:12 AM »

I'm not impressed with the variable speed playback, however.  I routinely slow parts of songs down, to figure out what notes are being played. Presumably, this feature was added for musicians like me.  Anyway, slowing things down echoes severely, making it practically unusable. 

Agreed. The slow feature is useless :(

digifish
- What's this knob do?

Offline Arni99

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #296 on: August 23, 2008, 04:23:19 AM »
The R09HR AGC and LIMITER do NOT prevent clipping as supposed to.
Test it by clapping your hands and you´ll see what I mean.
;)

Offline digifish_music

• Taperssection All-Star
    • digifish music
« Reply #297 on: August 23, 2008, 05:05:05 AM »
;)

No real-time limiter on a recording device can predict the future, so some transients will get through :)

I am sure the second clap will be OK

digifish
- What's this knob do?

Offline Arni99

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #298 on: August 23, 2008, 05:18:08 AM »
;)

No real-time limiter on a recording device can predict the future, so some transients will get through :)

I am sure the second clap will be OK

digifish
No, following claps also clipping, but IF used in a live concert setting, this might not be a problem as the overall level is lots higher with less dynamic-range and not just like at home in a silent room(where much gain is needed for the ambient sound and suddenly a clapping hand kicks in HAHA!).
I´ll definitely test AGC for a live concert which isn´t important for me.....next saturday.
3 bands playing at an outdoor show. Will tape the 3rd band with manual gain and the first 2 bands with AGC (won´t use the limiter as it produces evil-noise when changing levels while the limiter is ON).
;)

Offline Carlos E. Martinez

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #299 on: August 23, 2008, 07:50:51 AM »

If the gain chain is similar to the R44's, the limiter seems to be AFTER the input stage, which I don't think is where it should be.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.086 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com