Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Edirol R-09HR - Part TWO  (Read 114198 times)

Offline gmm6797

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Schoeps MK4 > nBoxPlat > Sony A10/SDMixPre6/SD 722
    • Homepage
Re: Edirol R-09HR - Part TWO
« Reply #300 on: August 24, 2008, 11:30:46 PM »
FWIW... using 2500 mah and 2700 mah batteries, when the power starts going down, watch the deck closely, as the meter will show about 1/2 and 1 song later (may be 3-4 minutes) it was off and dead

Unknown to me, my charger was acting up... the cause of the situation. The deck seems to be fine

When the deck died, the files did not close correctly.

The files will open in CDWav (confirm the pop-up messages about errors) and then save the opened file and all is good.

Offline Arni99

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #301 on: August 25, 2008, 04:26:06 AM »
FWIW... using 2500 mah and 2700 mah batteries, when the power starts going down, watch the deck closely, as the meter will show about 1/2 and 1 song later (may be 3-4 minutes) it was off and dead

Unknown to me, my charger was acting up... the cause of the situation. The deck seems to be fine

The files will open in CDWav (confirm the pop-up messages about errors) and then save the opened file and all is good.
When my r09hr´s batteries died, the recorded file was NOT saved at all, only 1 second of the file.
No issue for me as I know that 4h to 4h30 are the maximum with Sanyo 2700 rechargables.
I always change the rechargeables after 4 hours now.
;)
1st: SONY PCM-M10 + DPA 4060's + DPA MPS 6030 power supply (microdot)
2nd: iPhone 5 + "Rode iXY" microphone/"Zoom IQ5" microphone

Offline jmz93

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #302 on: August 25, 2008, 05:29:16 PM »
For those who want to hear the R9HR, line in level 52, with Church Audio ST9100 pre and DPA 4061's, look for the show I just posted over at Dime.  It's just my straight 24 bit 96KHZ .flac's, no compression or EQ.  As a first taping experience with the HR, it went great! I have tons of confidence in this recorder!

And, like the original R9, although some of the drum hits peak out at 0.0DB when I get the wave files onto the PC, I cannot for the life of me detect any audible clipping. So, it seems the HR does not clip easily. One possible clip in the recording is just guitar amp clipping, and not as harsh as the digital variety.

http://www.dimeadozen.org/torrents-details.php?id=211516

Offline Dede2002

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #303 on: August 25, 2008, 05:39:59 PM »
For those who want to hear the R9HR, line in level 52, with Church Audio ST9100 pre and DPA 4061's, look for the show I just posted over at Dime.  It's just my straight 24 bit 96KHZ .flac's, no compression or EQ.  As a first taping experience with the HR, it went great! I have tons of confidence in this recorder!

And, like the original R9, although some of the drum hits peak out at 0.0DB when I get the wave files onto the PC, I cannot for the life of me detect any audible clipping. So, it seems the HR does not clip easily. One possible clip in the recording is just guitar amp clipping, and not as harsh as the digital variety.

http://www.dimeadozen.org/torrents-details.php?id=211516

Thanks for sharing  ;)
+T
Mics..........................SP-CMC-8, HLSC-1 and HLSO-MICRO
BB and Preamps........MM Micro bb / MM Custom Elite bb / Church 9100

Recorders...................Tascam DR-100MKIII, Marantz PMD 620 MKII, Edirol R-09

Offline jmz93

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #304 on: August 25, 2008, 09:17:19 PM »
So... anybody using 16 or 32GB cards with the R9HR yet? Any issues to report, cards to recommend etc.? I rarely record more than one or two shows at a time, before dumping to PC, but the idea of having that much space available in something the size of a postage stamp is intoxicating.  Heck, you could get almost 14 hours (just a guess) of 24/96 waves on a 32GB card ... could be good for festivals!

(remembering 128K of memory and no hard drive in the mid-80's) Thems were the days...

Offline Olychild

• Taperssection Member
  • Recovering Luddite
« Reply #305 on: August 25, 2008, 09:42:56 PM »
So... anybody using 16 or 32GB cards with the R9HR yet? Any issues to report, cards to recommend etc.? I rarely record more than one or two shows at a time, before dumping to PC, but the idea of having that much space available in something the size of a postage stamp is intoxicating.  Heck, you could get almost 14 hours (just a guess) of 24/96 waves on a 32GB card ... could be good for festivals!

(remembering 128K of memory and no hard drive in the mid-80's) Thems were the days...

I've been using an A-data 16gb card with no problems.
Recording: CA-14 > CA-9100 > R09HR
Playback: 70's solid state thrift scores
Riding: Vespa LX-150, Firestone Speed Cruiser II, Burley Runabout

Offline gmm6797

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Schoeps MK4 > nBoxPlat > Sony A10/SDMixPre6/SD 722
    • Homepage
« Reply #306 on: August 25, 2008, 10:05:50 PM »
When my r09hr´s batteries died, the recorded file was NOT saved at all, only 1 second of the file.
No issue for me as I know that 4h to 4h30 are the maximum with Sanyo 2700 rechargables.

Sorry, you are correct, the 1st file was OK, but the 2nd file (2 times) was not.

My Thomas Distributing 2700mAh give me well over 6 hours of record time in the field... and 1 time over 7 hours when testing.

So... anybody using 16 or 32GB cards with the R9HR yet? Any issues to report, cards to recommend etc.?

I use a 16gb A-data class 6 card or 16gb and 8gb Kingston class 4 cards... also tried a 4gb transcend (from back in my R09 days) with success as well

Offline Dede2002

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #307 on: August 25, 2008, 11:02:05 PM »

Kingston SD cards. Way to go. ;)
Mics..........................SP-CMC-8, HLSC-1 and HLSO-MICRO
BB and Preamps........MM Micro bb / MM Custom Elite bb / Church 9100

Recorders...................Tascam DR-100MKIII, Marantz PMD 620 MKII, Edirol R-09

Offline pgadams

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #308 on: August 26, 2008, 01:39:32 AM »

I've recorded several shows at 24/96 using Transcend 16 GB with no problems.
Mics.................CSBinary, CSCardioid, CA Cardioids
BB ...................CS bb
D/A Converter....Mic 2496
Preamps............CA 9100                           
Recorder...........Axim X50v / Edirol R-09HR

Offline jeffbr

• Taperssection Newbie
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #309 on: August 26, 2008, 12:41:20 PM »

;)

My r09hr's batteries died on Saturday night. First time taping with it, about 4 1/2 hours on. Went from 1/4 battery to dead in the blink of an eye. The r09hr showed the file to be 1 second long, but 1.5 gb in size. So I ran that fixwav utility that a board member posted last year, and the wav file headers were cleaned up and everything looked good. I will be swapping batteries at the 4 hour mark from now on as well.
Mics: Church Audio CA-11, SP-CMC-8 (AT933), SP-CMC-2 (AT831), SP-CMC-20
Pre/Power: PS/2, AD-20, SP-SPSB-2, SP-PREAMP, SP-SPSB-6
Recorder: Edirol R-09HR, Zoom H4, Nomad JB3, Sony MD

Offline javertim

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #310 on: August 26, 2008, 02:52:47 PM »
My r09hr's batteries died on Saturday night. First time taping with it, about 4 1/2 hours on. Went from 1/4 battery to dead in the blink of an eye. The r09hr showed the file to be 1 second long, but 1.5 gb in size. So I ran that fixwav utility that a board member posted last year, and the wav file headers were cleaned up and everything looked good. I will be swapping batteries at the 4 hour mark from now on as well.

What bits/kHz were you recording at?

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • We create auditory illusions, not reproductions
« Reply #311 on: August 26, 2008, 03:17:38 PM »

;)

I have older R-09s not HR's, but the built-in wave repair function that appeared in the 2nd or 3rd firmware update for the R-09 and has been there ever since works great for correcting file header problems.  Is a file repair utility included in the current R09HR firmware?  You have to scroll down on the R-09 menu to see it after selecting the file (beneath select, details, delete, rename, & whatnot).
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline jeffbr

• Taperssection Newbie
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #312 on: August 26, 2008, 06:43:22 PM »

What bits/kHz were you recording at?

I was recording at 24/48

Offline jeffbr

• Taperssection Newbie
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #313 on: August 26, 2008, 06:45:48 PM »

;)

I have older R-09s not HR's, but the built-in wave repair function that appeared in the 2nd or 3rd firmware update for the R-09 and has been there ever since works great for correcting file header problems.  Is a file repair utility included in the current R09HR firmware?  You have to scroll down on the R-09 menu to see it after selecting the file (beneath select, details, delete, rename, & whatnot).

I have no idea! Wow, that would have taken some panic out of my day. :) I'll check when I get home. Thanks for the tip.

EDIT: Got home, checked out the recorder. Sure enough, "Repair" is an option. I selected the option and the file was repaired in about 1 second. It appears to be just fine. Thanks again for the tip!
« Last Edit: August 26, 2008, 09:49:58 PM by jeffbr »

Offline flintstone

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #314 on: August 26, 2008, 07:01:06 PM »
"When my r09hr´s batteries died, the recorded file was NOT saved"

"My r09hr's batteries died on Saturday night...I ran that fixwav utility, and the wav file headers were cleaned up and everything looked good..."

I'd like to hear from other R09HR owners about what happens when the power runs out.  It will be useful to know if the R09HR routinely loses the file or corrupts the file a the point when the battery quits.  Or maybe the R-09HR can't tell the power left in a rechargeable AA as well as it can an alkaline AA?

Flintstone

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.083 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com