Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Edirol R-09HR - Part TWO  (Read 114195 times)

Offline Carlos E. Martinez

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
Re: Edirol R-09HR - Part TWO
« Reply #315 on: August 26, 2008, 07:58:11 PM »
I'd like to hear from other R09HR owners about what happens when the power runs out.  It will be useful to know if the R09HR routinely loses the file or corrupts the file a the point when the battery quits.  Or maybe the R-09HR can't tell the power left in a rechargeable AA as well as it can an alkaline AA?

I am not sure how the R-09HR does it, but electronics are not as smart to guess what battery type you are using. They read voltage and current, and respond to that. In fact you have to be careful in choosing rechargeable batteries and seeing when it reaches 1v/cell, or the battery may be damaged.

The reason why alkalines last longer is because they are 1.5v and rechargeables are 1.2v. I am not sure what is the amperage of an AA alkaline, but rechargeables are 2700mA at most. You can guess what consumption your unit has by timing how long a 2700mA rechargeable will last. If it lasts 8 hours, then it drains approximately 337.5mA.

When the batteries are used inside the unit is fine, and it's unlikely the battery will be damaged. But be careful if you use external battery supplies, as they have a lower voltage limit which shouldn't be exceeded.

Offline gmm6797

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Schoeps MK4 > nBoxPlat > Sony A10/SDMixPre6/SD 722
    • Homepage
« Reply #316 on: August 26, 2008, 11:27:06 PM »
... So I ran that fixwav utility that a board member posted last year, and the wav file headers were cleaned up and everything looked good....

This app wont even open my file, but I can get CDWav to open and fix it.... hummmmm

Offline pgadams

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #317 on: August 27, 2008, 01:07:14 AM »
"When my r09hr´s batteries died, the recorded file was NOT saved"

"My r09hr's batteries died on Saturday night...I ran that fixwav utility, and the wav file headers were cleaned up and everything looked good..."

I'd like to hear from other R09HR owners about what happens when the power runs out.  It will be useful to know if the R09HR routinely loses the file or corrupts the file a the point when the battery quits.  Or maybe the R-09HR can't tell the power left in a rechargeable AA as well as it can an alkaline AA?

Flintstone
I recorded Southside Johnny two nights in a row Monday night and tonight using CSB mics, CSBB, mic in, and my R09HR at 24/96. Limiter off, plug in power off, mic gain low, low cut off, max file size 2 GB. I was using Duracell Ultra Digital AA and after the first night (approximately 2 hrs 45 min) the batteries still indicated full charge on the Edirol. Tonight I used the same batteries and they went dead after another 2 hrs and 12 minutes. I copied the files to my laptop and even the 12 minute cut-off file played fine without needing repairs. I have new PowerEdge rechargeables that I will be using in the future and of course will not try to record almost 6 hours on the same batteries again. BTW, the recordings sound much better than my previous PDAudio setup.
Mics.................CSBinary, CSCardioid, CA Cardioids
BB ...................CS bb
D/A Converter....Mic 2496
Preamps............CA 9100                           
Recorder...........Axim X50v / Edirol R-09HR

Offline kcmoejoe

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Team Kansasouri
« Reply #318 on: August 28, 2008, 10:56:30 AM »
I was running AKG 460 > Warm mod+ UA-5 > R-09HR (line-in) 24/48 and after approx. 3 hrs. my batts suddenly died...I chalked it up to old rechargeables - 2100 Monster brand.

The file size looked good but the file would not play, but I was able to use the repair from this link:  http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=72936.0  and it fixed it.

My rechargeable batteries had also been sitting unused for about 3 months. but they were at least 3-4 years old as well.
Open: JW Mod AKG 460 (ck61/63) > Sound Devices MP-2 > R-09HR / D8
Stealth: AT853 w/ 4.7k Mod (Card,Sub-Card,Hypers) / DPA 4061 > Batt. Box > R-09HR

Audio trade list: http://db.etree.org/kcmoejoe  (outdated)
DVD trade list: http://db.etree.org/kcmjdvd  (outdated)
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000146308101
shows on LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/kcmoejoe
Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/user/kcmoejoe

Offline Dede2002

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #319 on: August 28, 2008, 11:27:45 AM »
I was running AKG 460 > Warm mod+ UA-5 > R-09HR (line-in) 24/48 and after approx. 3 hrs. my batts suddenly died...I chalked it up to old rechargeables - 2100 Monster brand.

The file size looked good but the file would not play, but I was able to use the repair from this link:  http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=72936.0  and it fixed it.

My rechargeable batteries had also been sitting unused for about 3 months. but they were at least 3-4 years old as well.

Based on what I've been reading, rechargeables are not something to be trusted yet.
Mics..........................SP-CMC-8, HLSC-1 and HLSO-MICRO
BB and Preamps........MM Micro bb / MM Custom Elite bb / Church 9100

Recorders...................Tascam DR-100MKIII, Marantz PMD 620 MKII, Edirol R-09

Offline bgalizio

• Trade Count: (3)
    • http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/spyboychoir
« Reply #320 on: August 28, 2008, 11:28:34 AM »
Is everyone using rechargeables making sure they have the proper battery setting in the R-09HR menu?

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • We create auditory illusions, not reproductions
« Reply #321 on: August 28, 2008, 12:00:42 PM »

Most standard NiMH loose approx 1% charge per day. After 3 months they'd be nearly dead.  If you power cycle them a few times (discharge/recharge) they may be OK.  The new Low Self Discharge versions have less total capacity but supposedly hold 80-90% of their charge for a year.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline Arni99

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #322 on: August 28, 2008, 12:01:56 PM »
Is everyone using rechargeables making sure they have the proper battery setting in the R-09HR menu?
Yes, yesterday my Sanyo 2700 recorded 7h15min with recording breaks in between. The other pair of Sany 2007 died after 4h15 or 4h30 as expected ;).
Anyway, a change after 4 hours and all will be fine.
1st: SONY PCM-M10 + DPA 4060's + DPA MPS 6030 power supply (microdot)
2nd: iPhone 5 + "Rode iXY" microphone/"Zoom IQ5" microphone

Offline Arni99

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #323 on: August 28, 2008, 12:05:31 PM »

Based on what I've been reading, rechargeables are not something to be trusted yet.
There is absolutely no problem using 2700mAh rechargeables by Sanyo.
4h 24bit/44.1kHz recording 100% no worries ;).

If you recharge them 1 day before the show, there´s absolutely no reason for NOT using rechargeables ;).

I NEVER had issues with the r09 or the r09hr using rechargeables ;).

http://www.amazon.com/Hitech-iC-34LCD-Charger-Rechargeable-Batteries/dp/B00179BBDS/ref=sr_1_13?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1219939622&sr=8-13
« Last Edit: August 28, 2008, 12:07:40 PM by Arni99 »
1st: SONY PCM-M10 + DPA 4060's + DPA MPS 6030 power supply (microdot)
2nd: iPhone 5 + "Rode iXY" microphone/"Zoom IQ5" microphone

Offline Josephine

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #324 on: August 28, 2008, 12:17:48 PM »
I NEVER had issues with the r09 or the r09hr using rechargeables.

I have -- just recently -- and won't use them again.
Schoeps MK4 / MK4v / MK41 > actives > NBox+ > R-09HR

~   On Dime   ~
~   My Recordings   ~
~   Live Music Archive   ~

Offline rastasean

• in paradise
  • Trade Count: (23)
« Reply #325 on: August 28, 2008, 12:42:21 PM »

Whats the/your issue using rechargeable batteries?
Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it’s worth.

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #326 on: August 28, 2008, 12:58:17 PM »

I used cheap NiHM rechargeables for a year or so in the R-09 with the included cheapo timer charger and never had a problem, but I passed them on to family for less critical stuff before they got very old because I was concerned about them failing. 

I've been using disposable Alkalines ever since, buying the big discounted 18-20 packs.  I go through alot of them and my conscience has been niggling me so I ordered and just received today a bunch of Maha Imedion 2100mAhr Low Self Discharge batts.  I chose the lower mAh Low Self Discharge versions since I figure 4-5 hours is enough and I'd rather have power consistency than ultimate runtime.  I also got the new better Maha charger that supposedly helps eliminate the need to power cycle them and any memory effect over time developed from limited discharge cycles. They're charging now so I can test them later, but I'm still running the Alkalies for recording tonight.  ;)
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline Josephine

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #327 on: August 28, 2008, 01:00:47 PM »

I have found that rechargeables lack consistency.  Even the best of them lose their power over time.  The only way I'd feel confident using them is if I were to purchase new ones every few months or so. 

Last time I used them, they crapped out on me about three hours into the evening.  Fortunately, I was there to record the opening band, so it wasn't a big deal.  I did come home with an incomplete recording, however . . . which would not have happened had I utilized regular batteries.

I go to shows to enjoy myself - not to worry and wonder whether my batteries are going to have enough juice to make it through the evening.

EDIT:  My recent failure involved PowerEx 2700mAh AA Rechargeable NiMh batteries which were approximately a year old.  They'd been freshly charged the evening before the show with the recommended charger.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2008, 01:07:18 PM by Josephine »
Schoeps MK4 / MK4v / MK41 > actives > NBox+ > R-09HR

~   On Dime   ~
~   My Recordings   ~
~   Live Music Archive   ~

Offline rastasean

• in paradise
  • Trade Count: (23)
« Reply #328 on: August 28, 2008, 01:07:45 PM »

I have found that rechargeables lack consistency.  Even the best of them lose their power over time.  The only way I'd feel confident using them is if I were to purchase new ones every few months or so. 

Last time I used them, they crapped out on me about three hours into the evening.  Fortunately, I was there to record the opening band, so it wasn't a big deal.  I did come home with an incomplete recording, however . . . which would not have happened had I utilized regular batteries.

I go to shows to enjoy myself - not to worry and wonder whether my batteries are going to have enough juice to make it through the evening.

I can totally understand the consistency issue. I have six rechargeable batteries I use with a digital camera and they certainly don't hold their charge like they used to.
Why bother spending $20+ on rechargeable batteries when you can spend that much on giant packs of double a batteries. and you will have to buy more rechargeable ones later on.
Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it’s worth.

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #329 on: August 28, 2008, 01:12:10 PM »

That is exactly why I went back to using disposables.  The cost and inconvenience was less important than peace of mind and the recording.  I'm hoping these new technology batteries and charger will eliminate the problem, but I worry that I'm just pushing the inevitable failure farther down the road.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.155 seconds with 44 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com