Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: new marantz PMD 661  (Read 104699 times)

Offline gswaim

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
    • Digital Literacy Project
Re: new marantz PMD 661
« Reply #105 on: December 23, 2008, 08:09:18 AM »
I've been watching the Marantz site (http://www.d-mpro.com) for more information on the PMD-661 but I haven't been able to access the site for days. I can't imagine a company like Marantz going days with a site down.

Is anybody else experiencing this? If so..

Yo Marantz.... Your Site is Down!

Offline rowjimmy

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • rowjimmy.com
    • Row Knows
« Reply #106 on: December 23, 2008, 08:41:18 AM »
I've been wanting a new deck and the 660 was a candidate. Now, however, I may hit up this new-fangled 661.

Anyone got one in hand yet?
Bandcamp | Host of The Brokedown Podcast
mic > wires > recorder

Offline gswaim

• Taperssection Newbie
    • Digital Literacy Project
« Reply #107 on: December 26, 2008, 01:01:31 AM »
Looks like review units are making it out in the wild. Here is a review I came across: http://www.wingfieldaudio.com/marantz-pmd661-review.html.

I am looking forward to hearing some member reviews.

Offline Will_S

• Trade Count: (15)
« Reply #108 on: December 26, 2008, 11:09:06 AM »
Looks like review units are making it out in the wild. Here is a review I came across: http://www.wingfieldaudio.com/marantz-pmd661-review.html.

"We achieved clear and clean results with every phantom-powered condenser microphone we tried (AKG C414, Rode NT1A, Rode NTG-2, Rode NT-4). Unfortunately, we acheived fairly noisy results with every dynamic mic we tried (Samson Q7, Heil Handi Mic Pro, Heil PR-20, Heil PR-35, Sennheiser MD421II)."

:hmmm:  I wonder how their qualitative description of PMD660 performance compare, can't seem to find any reviews they did on it.

Offline flintstone

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #109 on: December 26, 2008, 01:52:17 PM »
See the PMD661 on Youtube, described by Marantz sales director:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mt4EcncKGlQ

Offline ironbut

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #110 on: December 27, 2008, 04:14:47 PM »
Thanks for that youtube link. That wide angle lens sure makes it look bigger. But when you compare his hands size with his head, the proportions become a little clearer. I'd love to see some size comparison photos to the D50 and 09hr before I buy.
Definitely the flash recorder to keep an eye on for me!

stevetoney

« Reply #111 on: December 27, 2008, 05:02:26 PM »
^ The size of the unit has been published.  If you check the history of this thread there was a link provided that compared the size of the 661 side by side with the R-09 I think. 

Offline nak700s

• Taperssection Member
Normal: Nakamichi CM-700's >> SD 744T (or) Sony PCM-M10
Normal: Crown CM-700's >> SD 302 >> SD 744T
Fun times: 3 Crown CM-700's >> SD 302 >> SD744T + 2 Nakamichi CM-700's >> SD744T
Stealth: CA-14c >> CA 9200 >> Edirol R-09HR
Ultra stealth: AudioReality >> AudioReality battery box >> Edirol R-09HR
Simple & Sweet!

Offline carpa

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #113 on: December 29, 2008, 07:55:55 AM »
As I've asked in another post (but maybe it's a little off-topic) I was wondering how the dynamic range specs  (65 db mic input) of this new Marantz compare to other pocket recorders. In particular I didn't find any specification in edirol r09hr datasheet, or in the SOny pcm d-50, ehich id indicated by a lot of people as having between the best mic preamps in pocket recorders.
Do any of you know anything about it?
thank you
c

Offline rsimms3

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #114 on: December 29, 2008, 09:31:20 AM »
That's a good point, but I am in the Ron Popeil school of thought...."Set it and forget it".

Did he invent Popeil's Pocket Fisherman by chance?   :P

Yes, yes he did.  He is Ronco.

For a list of all of his great inventions, check it out:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ron_Popeil
FOR SALE - Check HERE

Offline flintstone

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #115 on: December 29, 2008, 09:48:36 AM »
It's difficult to compare published specifications like dynamic range and noise floor between manufacturers because you can get different numbers under different test conditions, and, frankly, the manufacturers lie about their products.  Let me re-phrase that:  Most manufacturers like to describe their products in the most favorable way possible, even though the results can't be duplicated in the real world.

I think it's possible to compare the PMD661 with other Marantz products, since it's likely they use the same test procedure across the product line.  I did that in an earlier post in this thread.  It looks to me like the PMD661 specs are closer to the PMD671 than to the PMD660, which would be a good thing.

That said, and despite Marantz claims that the preamps are greatly improved, I'm still not expecting miracles.  Marantz's primary markets for these devices is ENG and recording voice for transcription (court depositions and the like).  The level of quality required for these applications is not as demanding as recording music or nature. 

Also, if the PMD661 performance were truly stellar, it would cut into the sales of the PMD671.  Better to make a "semi-pro" box to sell at this lower price point.

We'll know the answer to the "how good does the PMD661 sound?" question in a couple of weeks.

Flintstone

Offline DSatz

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (35)
« Reply #116 on: December 29, 2008, 05:19:05 PM »
What flintstone said. Also, mike preamps vary greatly in how strong a signal they can take from a microphone before their input circuits overload. Furthermore, any one mike preamp will generally get very different noise figures at different gain settings. Spec sheets generally list only the best single figure that the preamp is capable of getting, which is often at a higher gain setting than most of us would probably use.

Finally, just knowing the raw level of noise in a preamp doesn't tell you how likely that noise is to be audible, since audibility depends not only on the level but also on the frequency spectrum (distribution) of the noise and its properties in the time domain (is it mainly steady noise, or is it full of impulses? The latter can be heard at much lower average levels).

All in all, most specification sheets for mike preamps just don't tell you very much of what you'd most likely want to know. The spec sheets for mixers and recorders that contain mike preamps are worse yet, since the mike preamps are only a fraction of what the manufacturer is trying to sell you.

I'm interested in this recorder, but if it's going to be anything more than a bit bucket, I'll need to know more about its mike preamps. The sensitivity figure given in the spec sheet for its mike inputs is rather high--it seems as if this unit was designed to be suitable for use with dynamic microphones or low-output, consumer-type electret condensers rather than the professional condenser microphones that I and a lot of other people here use. But if the preamps also have high input headroom (if they can handle, say, half a Volt or thereabouts without distorting), then they could be very useful. I guess we'll see.

--best regards
« Last Edit: December 29, 2008, 09:45:37 PM by DSatz »
music > microphones > a recorder of some sort

Offline sunjan

• Taping since 1988, 28 years of fine recordings...
    • Just a handful of stuff I put on etree
« Reply #117 on: December 29, 2008, 06:20:35 PM »
I've been watching the Marantz site (http://www.d-mpro.com) for more information on the PMD-661 but I haven't been able to access the site for days. I can't imagine a company like Marantz going days with a site down.

Crazy, is this intermittent? Otherwise it's been down for a week now! Christmas break?
Mics: A-51s LE, CK 930, Line Audo CM3, AT853Rx (hc,c,sc),  ECM 121, ECM 909A
Pres: Tinybox, CA-9100, UA5 wmod
Recorders: M10, H116 (CF mod), H340, NJB3
Gearbag: High Sierra Corkscrew
MD transfers: MZ-RH1. Tape transfers: Nak DR-1
Photo rig: Nikon D70, 18-70mm/3.5-4.5, SB-800

Offline rastasean

• in paradise
  • Trade Count: (23)
« Reply #118 on: December 29, 2008, 06:28:41 PM »
odd. Pinging it works just fine.

www.thewebsiteisdown.com
Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it’s worth.

Offline Javier Cinakowski

• !! Downhill From Here !!
  • Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #119 on: December 29, 2008, 06:29:34 PM »
« Last Edit: December 29, 2008, 06:32:32 PM by Javier Cinakowski »
Neumann KM185mp OR DPA ST2015-> Grace Design Lunatec V2-> Tascam DR-100mkIII

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.084 seconds with 38 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com