Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Mics under shirt collar  (Read 7078 times)

Offline acidjack

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (37)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Mics under shirt collar
« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2011, 06:07:26 PM »
On topic, some guidelines I can offer:

Your top end will drop if someone's standing in front of you, but the shirt itself will *generally* not impede your results. Also, your bass response should be a little more accentuated, but again not due to the shirt.

Biggest issue is clothing noise. What you trade in freedom of your head, you pay in ability to move your body. Work on practicing this at home and changing options (e.g. windscreens for no screen and different types of clothing) before you do it in the field to see what you get for noise.

I gave up stealth taping because of shirt worn mics (among other reasons, such as that most stealth recordings sound terrible). The hassle just wasn't worth it to me unless I needed some serious camo against security and *really* wanted a copy of the show.

FTFY  ::)  I'm not advocating for or against stealth taping - I do it when I (rarely) have to and I appreciate that folks outside the U.S. are forced to.  My only point is really, if you're stealthing, you're already adding tons of variables that are likely to make your recording bad (less than ideal placement, people talking, etc.)  Personally, I would suggest at least trying to avoid at least one thing you can control, which is the additional nastiness you can get when you clip to a collar or really anywhere below your head.  Even if you're tall like me, having the mics lower will only add to the phasing and other issues that are already problems with stealth taping.  Having tried just about everything myself to "just get it taped" I realize in VERY rare cases there may be reason for such paranoia that you don't want to mount mics up higher, but honestly, in this day and age, I think there aren't many of those, whether you're in the U.S. or Europe or Asia.  I'm pretty confident that everyone in Europe and Asia is taking all kinds of cell phone videos at concerts, too, so I have to think that whether they allow "open" taping or not, it's not much of a priority at most (but not all) shows.

Just my $0.02.
Mics: Schoeps MK4V, MK41V, MK5, MK22> CMC6, KCY 250/5, KC5, NBob; MBHO MBP603/KA200N, AT 3031, DPA 4061 w/ d:vice, Naiant X-X, AT 853c, shotgun, Nak300
Pres/Power: Aerco MP2, tinybox v2  [KCY], CA-UBB
Decks: Sound Devices MixPre 6, Zoom F8, M10, D50

My recordings on nyctaper.com: http://www.nyctaper.com/?tag=acidjack | LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/acidjack | twitter: http://www.twitter.com/acidjacknyc | Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/acidjacknyc

Offline Belexes

• Trade Count: (10)
« Reply #16 on: September 20, 2011, 09:02:11 PM »
PM Sent.
Busman Audio BSC1-K1/K2/K3/K4 > HiHo Silver XLR's > Deck TBD

CA-14 (c,o)/MM-HLSC-1 (4.7k mod)/AT853(4.7k mod)(c,o,h,sc)/CAFS (o)/CA-1 (o) > CA-9100 (V. 4.1)/CA-9200/CA-UBB > Sony PCM-D50/Sony PCM-M10

Offline it-goes-to-eleven

• Trade Count: (58)
« Reply #17 on: September 20, 2011, 09:15:04 PM »
The croakies work great but I have to be careful about head movement.

It is an off-label use, but Botox injections to the base of the neck and skull provide a steadiness that must be experienced to be believed.

Offline tim in jersey

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #18 on: September 21, 2011, 12:26:59 PM »
Why no hat rig? Security that tight?

EDIT: Ooops. Didn't read initial thread.  :facepalm:
« Last Edit: September 21, 2011, 12:28:41 PM by tim in jersey »

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.036 seconds with 27 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com