Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: New discreet stereo mic from kmf audio!!!!  (Read 5201 times)

Offline srb

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Re: New discreet stereo mic from kmf audio!!!!
« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2009, 09:16:30 PM »
Yes, it's ungainly. Sure, you'd expect the box to cause some nasty reflections. But have you guys actually heard one of these things? I have, and they sound good. Really, really good.

Due to their appearance, I doubt I'd find a way to use one in a live concert setting, which is basically what this list is about, but as a studio item, this one's a keeper. I wouldn't use a Ford Focus to pull my camper either!

Offline illconditioned

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: New discreet stereo mic from kmf audio!!!!
« Reply #16 on: September 29, 2009, 10:09:35 PM »
Yes, it's ungainly. Sure, you'd expect the box to cause some nasty reflections. But have you guys actually heard one of these things? I have, and they sound good. Really, really good.

Due to their appearance, I doubt I'd find a way to use one in a live concert setting, which is basically what this list is about, but as a studio item, this one's a keeper. I wouldn't use a Ford Focus to pull my camper either!

I think it is marketing.  None of those artists has probably heard a great "spaced omni" ambient recording, obviously.  The sound is unique too, because if lacks the directionality of cardioids or baffled omnis.  It is probably this "other worldly" feel that has some listeners hooked.

Also, if you take something like a Countryman B3 or Nevaton MCE400 and get up close, the sound is truly amazing.  Better than any other mic I've heard, including all the Scheops, DPA, or whatever.  It is hard to quantify, but there must be some distortion going on in a lot of omni mics, including top rated stuff like DPA406x or Sanken COS11, IMO.  I think the only thing better is the measurement mics (stainless or nickel diaphragm, not the Earthworks).

Richard
Please DO NOT mail me with tech questions.  I will try to answer in the forums when I get a chance.  Thanks.

Sample recordings at: http://www.soundmann.com.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.031 seconds with 25 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com