Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: iRiver Transfer Stopping  (Read 5129 times)

Offline deadhoarse

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
Re: iRiver Transfer Stopping
« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2010, 01:51:33 PM »
Try this too http://www.jfilerecovery.com/

It will copy the file for you, and when it comes across the bad part of the file, it will skip it, but will continue copying the file. At most, you would hear a small skip during the damaged part.

Did you try this? It worked for me with a similar iriver problem.

All I can get this program to do is run a scan on my system.  It doesn't give me an option to open an individual file. Any incite?

Ah, you might have clicked on the advertisement on the page. Try this direct link:

http://www.jfilerecovery.com/JFileRecovery.jnlp

When it launches, you select the source file, and the destination.

Offline DMBprez

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Focused
« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2010, 04:38:09 PM »
Yeah, that program keeps freezing up when it gets to that error.  :-\

Offline anonymous_user

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #17 on: March 30, 2010, 07:59:15 PM »
There are several easy things I would suggest.

Maybe you used Jfilerecovery for this already, but there are definitely other programs that will copy & save the file up to the point with the error, where it will then probably stall, but you'll have a good portion of the file sitting on your hard drive without it disappearing like it would from a Windows file-copy. You can then just cancel or exit out of the transfer once it stalls and the copied portion will stay in tact.

Then you at least have a lossless digital copy of the first half of the file, which is one step that's covered if you can't retrieve the rest of it.

The next thing I would do is try playing the file on the iRiver itself first, and see what happens when it gets to that point. Then I would also see if the iRiver allows skipping around the file, and maybe you could skip past the error and be able to play the file from after the error point until the end. Then you could at least get an analog copy of most of the 2nd half of the show.

If that didn't work, I would hook up the iRiver to the PC via USB etc, and try playing the file within Windows via your usual software... Media Player Classic, VLC, Winamp etc, and see what happens. It will probably stop or error-out when it gets to the problem spot, but those programs can usually let you skip past the error if you're careful enough to skip completely past it, and then you'll still be able to play the rest of the show. Then you could do a real-time recording within Windows of the remaining set and you might only lose 1-2 songs (or less) due to the error.

Then I would attempt other options of fixing the overall problems. My first priority would be to secure as much of the recording as possible first and/or make sufficient copies before you attempt something that could possibly change/damage that area of the HDD further. That's what I would do first, no question.

Lastly, when that's done you may also want to bring your iRiver to a friend's house with a Mac or Linux system. Someone talked about Linux already, but even Mac's seem to work differently when copying corrupted files. They won't error-out, it will just copy the file even if some portions are damaged. If the entire file was damaged (which we know it's not), then the copied file might just be a garbled mess, but in the case of one error spot, the beginning should be completely fine and maybe all the portions after the error would be fine too. Do that and then skip around the file to see if there's just a slight skip during the part with the error. One problem is you don't know yet how big the error portion is, but all of these things will help answer that.

I've had experience doing all of these things to various extents to help recover files, so I hope it helps.

Offline rhinowing

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • SPLRA - Smashing Pumpkins Live Recording Association
« Reply #18 on: March 30, 2010, 08:07:32 PM »
I tried the analog to analog thing cause nothing else worked.  It recorded all the way up to a point and the tape cuts off.

Except when I open the tape in Foobar (from the player), it has the full tape there.

Any other ideas?
you can't play it back all the way through from your iriver, right?
Please contact me if you've ever taped the Smashing Pumpkins or a related group!

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.035 seconds with 27 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com