Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Olympus LS-10 (Help)  (Read 9475 times)

Offline dallman

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (33)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • Clifford Morse
Re: Olympus LS-10 (Help)
« Reply #15 on: July 06, 2010, 10:58:58 AM »
While I do not doubt Chris's experience with the deck, I have made some fine recordings with it. I have done most every possibility  of line in with a preamp, with internal mics, with mic in, and maybe it is the loud rock n roll I have done, but I also did some chamber music and 2 weddings and was very pleased. So no need to be discouraged, just go out and have fun.

I use 24/48 for the flexibility and my car will play 24/48 on CD or DVD so I can listen right away, but I eventually dither to 16/44.1.
I never use any filters or limiters, but that is more personal preference.

Thanks for giving me some hope haha.
How were the internal mic's? Do you have a sample uploaded anywhere that I can listen to?

I do not think I uploaded anythging with internal mics. I also usually do not upload low pro shows, but I'll rumage through my hard drive and see what I come up with. I do think you will be pleasantly surprised at what you can do with the deck. The external mics I have used do sound better, (At 853 and Church CA 11), but the internals have done a great job when needed. I left it on a table during a wedding to record piano music, and later plugged in external mics for a jazz combo, and the music was so appreciated, it made it onto the wedding DVD.
Support Live Music: Tape A Show Today!
Deck>possibly something here> Mics

Offline RetroDude83

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #16 on: July 14, 2010, 04:09:01 AM »
Not sure why everyone is so anti LS-10, but I have made some really good sounding recordings with it. I have heard worse sounding stuff/shows recorded with "better" recorders and high-end mics, so I assume after all it's all up to you how your recording sounds. you either can tape or not, you just need some decent mics and a recorder and a bit of knowledge on what to do with the shit and your tape will sound fine. after all, all you do is tape, and audience recordings will never sound like pro-mixed sound desk captures, so fuck it. dont give a shit on what all those haters say about the LS-10, it is just a recorder and has little impact on the final outcome.

I agree on the built-ins though, unfortunately they really suck when it comes to recording a live show.

Offline fmaderjr

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #17 on: July 14, 2010, 07:07:17 AM »
dont give a shit on what all those haters say about the LS-10, it is just a recorder and has little impact on the final outcome.

I agree on the built-ins though, unfortunately they really suck when it comes to recording a live show.

There's really no hating going on in this thread-just criticism of the internal mics, which you agree with. Some have criticised the mic in due to the undefeatable roll off, but there's no reason recordings by the LS-10 shouldn't sound as good as those made by recorders more popular here when you go line in with a battery box (or preamp for quiet stuff) or even mic in when you are in a venue where the roll off could be beneficial.

However for someone who is trying to decide which recorder to buy, I would strongly advise against the LS-10 because it costs too much compared to the M10 & HR10 which have features I like better.
AT853's (all caps)/CM-300 Franken Naks (CP-1,2,3)/JBMod Nak 700's (CP-701,702) > Tascam DR-680
Or Sonic Studios DSM-6 > M10

Offline shadowfax1007

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
    • BNELive
« Reply #18 on: August 14, 2010, 08:41:28 PM »
Does anyone know how much power the PIP on the Mic In for this unit puts out?
Got some CA-1's I want to run at a gig soon, but won't have a BB in time.

Figure the built in roll off wont be much of a problem, since the CA-1 range is 100 - 20 anyway, plus I can just correct the roll off with EQ matching the graphic in post.

EDIT: Found it. 2.9v. Not ideal at all haha
« Last Edit: August 14, 2010, 08:54:27 PM by shadowfax1007 »
www.bnelive.net

Mics:
SP-CMC-2 (Cardioid & Sub-Cardioid caps)
SP-BMC-12 (Omni)
SP-BMC-1 (Omni)

Power:
SP-SPSB-10

Recorders:
Olympus LS-10
Olympus LS-12
Sony PCM-A10

Offline Church-Audio

• Trade Count: (44)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #19 on: August 14, 2010, 10:36:15 PM »

Figure the built in roll off wont be much of a problem, since the CA-1 range is 100 - 20 anyway, plus I can just correct the roll off with EQ matching the graphic in post.

Better to start with a flat recorder then one you have to "correct" after the fact.
for warranty returns email me at
EMAIL Sales@church-audio.com

Offline shadowfax1007

• Taperssection Regular
    • BNELive
« Reply #20 on: August 14, 2010, 11:46:55 PM »

Better to start with a flat recorder then one you have to "correct" after the fact.

I realise, but sadly the LS-10 is all I have for the moment. What do you think that max spl at 3v will be for CA-1's?
www.bnelive.net

Mics:
SP-BMC-12 (Omni)
SP-BMC-1 (Omni)

Power:
SP-SPSB-10

Recorders:
Olympus LS-10
Olympus LS-12
Sony PCM-A10

Offline Church-Audio

• Trade Count: (44)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #21 on: August 15, 2010, 11:54:11 AM »

I realise, but sadly the LS-10 is all I have for the moment. What do you think that max spl at 3v will be for CA-1's?

I recommend a full 9 v for the ca-1. Plug in power is never a good idea for any of the mics I make simply because they have all been designed around 9 volts. I will do a test of voltage vs distortion in the next month or so.
for warranty returns email me at
EMAIL Sales@church-audio.com

Offline shadowfax1007

• Taperssection Regular
    • BNELive
« Reply #22 on: September 03, 2010, 07:45:08 AM »
Completed my first recording last night, using my LS-10 and some CA-1's with a BB.
Im over the moon with the results. Incredible (minus a few drunk bitches talking)

Thanks for all the help!
www.bnelive.net

Mics:
SP-BMC-12 (Omni)
SP-BMC-1 (Omni)

Power:
SP-SPSB-10

Recorders:
Olympus LS-10
Olympus LS-12
Sony PCM-A10

Offline rjp

• Taperssection Member
  • You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
« Reply #23 on: September 06, 2010, 12:39:37 AM »
I took a listen to the sample - quite nice! The chatter wasn't as bad as I was expecting.

Were you running mic-in or line-in?
Mics: AKG Perception 170, Naiant X-X, Sound Professionals SP-TFB-2
Preamps: Naiant Littlebox
Recorders: Olympus LS-10
Interfaces: Focusrite Saffire Pro 14, Focusrite Scarlett 2i2

Offline shadowfax1007

• Taperssection Regular
    • BNELive
« Reply #24 on: September 06, 2010, 04:20:50 AM »
I think I ran Mic-In from memory. Wasn't get a strong enough signal on the line in.
www.bnelive.net

Mics:
SP-BMC-12 (Omni)
SP-BMC-1 (Omni)

Power:
SP-SPSB-10

Recorders:
Olympus LS-10
Olympus LS-12
Sony PCM-A10

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.075 seconds with 33 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com