Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Completely new to recording  (Read 5233 times)

Offline ryansee

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Re: Completely new to recording
« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2010, 05:56:30 AM »

I see, thanks for the info on the mic placement, I'll be sure not to store my mic in a bag when I record. Also, I do tend to try to get right up front for the rock shows I go to, it's pretty rare that I don't.

I ended up recording that first show, not seriously, just as a souvenir and to see what it felt like. I didn't have time to buy a mic so I just put the iriver on a table right in front of the stage, with my sweater slightly covering it. So now I know from experience why I need an external mic, the bass was really bad and every 25-30 seconds the iriver makes a booting sound, possibly a fan? The acoustic songs and parts of songs are pretty listenable to me, but I don't have a trained ear. I'm gonna spend a little time looking up omni mics and cardioids.

If you really can't afford more than about 100 bucks heres a comp between the CA-1 (~$100) and DPA 4060 (~$450):  http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=137619.0 (long story short though, theres not much difference).

If you're DYING to get a set of mics to get into the field, see what you can find with the CA-1 or CAFS though if its a quite show you'll probably need at the very least a battery box (on the cheap side) but preferably a pre amp (more expensive but well worth it).

Those DPAs you refer to are actually $450 EACH. http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/282482-REG/DPA_Microphones_4060_BM_4060_Omnidirectional_Miniature_High_Sensitivity.html

Not that that comp was the most telling in terms of the dynamics of the recording (recording a jazz trio with a lot of electric guitar is one thing; recording loud rock or an orchestra is quite another), the CA mics did a fantastic job.  I was considering getting some to use as a 'backup pair' myself...

A couple other questions/comments:

1. To the OP: Even at a seated acoustic show where you're in the front, I would not recommend placing the mics in a bag on the floor.  You really need to wear the mics to get the good results (including proper stereo separation).  Even if the players are on an equal vertical plane to you (ie seated directly in front of you without a stage), that means their mouths (and the PA, if any) are going to be about in line with your head.  There are some exceptions to this, but generally, you really need to headwear (or chest-wear, maybe for an occasion like you described) the mics.

2. Is everyone steering the OP toward omni mics because of cost?  It is true that at the cheapest prices omni mics tend to be better performers than cardiods as they're easier to "make well."  And the CA-1 is the cheapest thing one can buy new at the moment.  But for the CA-11 cardiods, or other mics used, are also quite inexpensive and are likely to be more useful unless the OP gets way upfront at every show (I don't know if the one you described is typical of what you go to see).  Just a thought.

Offline ryansee

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Re: Completely new to recording
« Reply #16 on: July 31, 2010, 06:00:07 AM »
also, my iriver is rockboxed, it came that way when I bought it last week. It has frozen a couple of times when I've used it, but not when I tried to record earlier this week. I am still trying to learn how to control the levels and figure out what is best.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.05 seconds with 25 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com