Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: MG m300's got wet in the rain  (Read 6127 times)

Offline Church-Audio

• Trade Count: (44)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: MG m300's got wet in the rain
« Reply #15 on: July 28, 2010, 11:10:23 PM »
The most importaint thing to remember with mics is this.

1- Unscrew the capsule from the body if possible.
2- If the mics are omni capsules put them on a few layers of paper towel face down meaning the front of the capsule towards the paper towel.

3- For mics like DPA or my mics * omni * place them so that they hang from the cable and the front of the mic is pointing towards the ground. And let air dry.

4- For Cardioid mics we need to see if water has got behind the capsule near the contact pin. If it has you must put them on paper towel with the threads of the capsule facing towards the paper towel and leave it for a few hours then flip the capsule so that the face is facing down towards the paper towel. Flipping them every few hours.

Direct sun exposure is not recommended and the capsule should not get hotter than 100 degrees F..

5- For the preamp its best to drain the water  out by placing them in a mic stand and having the XLR facing towards the ground. You do not want to drain it towards the Center pin of the mic body.

6- For large diaphragm condenser mics.. Air dry only by placing the mic upside down with the capsule facing towards the floor in a stand. If however the body is full of water you want to get that out first by placing them XLR down first.

I would let all mics dry out for no less then 4 days.

Chris
for warranty returns email me at
EMAIL Sales@church-audio.com

Offline disco

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Regular
  • learning as I go
« Reply #16 on: August 02, 2010, 12:42:54 PM »
i had chris's ca-14 omni's get drenched, I followed his instructions for drying and had no residual issues. I also noticed during the rain that despite getting hit fairly hard it was almost impossible to notice the effect of the rain sonically on the recording.
CA-14 (c,o)->9100, Littlebox->M10 or DR-07

Offline JD

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #17 on: August 02, 2010, 12:50:51 PM »
Direct sun exposure is not recommended and the capsule should not get hotter than 100 degrees F..

Really? I would think most any mic flying at a festival in the summer sun is likely to see temps of more than 100 degrees, especially when colored black.  ???
Mics: DPA 4022, 4060; Nevaton MC51, MCE400; Gefell sms2000, m20, m21, m27
Pres: DPA MMA6000; Grace V2; Portico 5012; Sonosax SX-M2
Recorders: Edirol R09hr, Sound Devices 722

Offline mgtaper

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #18 on: August 02, 2010, 03:33:27 PM »
From the Microtech Gefell site:

"The mic’s capsule, designated “M3,” employs a 16mm Mylar diaphragm, coated with gold. The housing is ceramic rather than the more-typical metal; the advantage, derived from the company’s work on test and measurement mics, is that ceramics have less susceptibility to change due to temperature."

This was one of the reasons why I chose m300's.

Mics: Microtech Gefell m310's, DPA 4023's, DPA 4661's, Line Audio CM4's, AKG 460's w/CK61 caps, Busman bsc-1 k1,k2,k3 & k4, Busman modded nak 300's, stock nak 300's cp1, cp2 & cp4, Rode nt5's w/MJE -384k Roadster caps 
Cables: Kind Kables, Gak Cables and DarkTrain Silvers
Pres: Sound Devices MixPre 10 II, Sound Devices MixPre 3 II, Zoom F6, PMD 661, Apogee Mini-me,  Edirol UA-5 BM2P+ mod, Mic2496
Bit Buckets:  HP IPAQ 2795H,  MicroTrack II(x2),  PMD 661

Offline Church-Audio

• Trade Count: (44)
« Reply #19 on: August 02, 2010, 11:36:16 PM »

Really? I would think most any mic flying at a festival in the summer sun is likely to see temps of more than 100 degrees, especially when colored black.  ???

100F is just a suggestion.. You can run mics hotter than that but you have to be careful because condenser mics can be damaged by direct sunlight and high temps. Windscreens do help with this issue.
for warranty returns email me at
EMAIL Sales@church-audio.com

Offline it-goes-to-eleven

• Trade Count: (58)
« Reply #20 on: August 03, 2010, 01:11:40 AM »
That's a good reason to opt for silver mics, when there is a choice... Or to wrap your mics in aluminized mylar and then cover them with heat shrink, or umbrella..  At least for the festival tapers.

I'm sure some of those sun baked mics get reaallyyy hot... I wonder what impact that has on sound quality at the time the recording is made?

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.062 seconds with 29 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com