Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Schoeps Tubes ... Opinions on Pics Showing Guts  (Read 5099 times)

Offline scb

• Eli Manning should die of gonorrhea and rot in hell. Would you like a cookie, son?
  • Trade Count: (11)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Schoeps Tubes ... Opinions on Pics Showing Guts
« Reply #15 on: November 18, 2010, 10:41:35 AM »
It's a glass bulb, what harm could you possibly do by touching it?

oils:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exploding_light_bulb

stevetoney

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #16 on: November 18, 2010, 12:27:13 PM »
It's a glass bulb, what harm could you possibly do by touching it? Interesting that those threads all relate to instrument amps. I don't read those boards anymore, just hi-fi boards, so maybe that's why I've never seen this issue before.

Yeah, I know.  I've wondered what the big deal was too because I've never really heard someone say, well the tube was handled and that's what led to a failure (it's not to say that it doesn't happen...I've just never heard it but admittedly it's not a subject that I've researched.).  If I were to bet, I'd be willing to bet that the issue is an urban legend brought forward from a time long ago when perhaps it mattered on some brands of tubes. 

Nevertheless, I think the issue is that the tubes get really hot and the residual oils left from handling (the same residue that leaves a fingerprint on the glass) bakes on the exterior surface of the glass and for some tubes that can be a failure mechanism. 
« Last Edit: November 18, 2010, 12:29:52 PM by tonedeaf »

Offline H₂O

• Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #17 on: November 18, 2010, 12:36:19 PM »
I sleep with my tubes under my pillow  :P
Music can at the least least explain you and at the most expand you
LMA Recordings

List

Offline Tim

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #18 on: November 18, 2010, 03:42:30 PM »
thanks for the links Scott and Steve

could be too that hi-fi guys rotate out tubes more often that guitar players so tube life/longevity is less of an issue. I have a few sets around the house for use depending on what mood I'm in. I don't think guitar players do that much swapping out.
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.07 seconds with 32 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com