Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Poll

Tascam DR-2d or two Sony PCM-M10's

Tascam DR-2D
9 (47.4%)
TWO Sony PCM-M10's
9 (47.4%)
Other
1 (5.3%)

Total Members Voted: 18

Author Topic: Tascam DR-2d or two Sony PCM-M10's?  (Read 6971 times)

Offline daspyknows

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Don't ask, don't tell, don't get get caught
Re: Tascam DR-2d or two Sony PCM-M10's?
« Reply #15 on: December 22, 2010, 08:06:45 PM »
I used to deal with drift syncing up my FR2LE and R09.  as you allude to, the stretching sometimes didn't quite sound absolutely right - not horribly off, but I'm definitely happier with my matrices now.  And sooo much easier and faster.

Can't tell you which way to go, but the above echos my experience.   FWIW, I'm using that Energizer battery pack with the DR2d, works great & runs for days.  Still need to keep charged AA's in the recorder as back-up.

Battery life is fine using Energizer Lithiums with the DR2D.  I may be partial but if you use a pair of Schoeps MK4s I think you will be fine with the low end response.

Offline morst

• I think I found an error on the internet; #UnionStrong
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #16 on: December 27, 2010, 05:30:16 PM »
I'm just going to add my .02 for the all-in-one box option.  Much easier.  Stretch, etc. can work, but I don't think it's as easy or perfect as it's being made out to be, especially the longer a show gets.

Also, *generally* I tend to think having two decks in two different places is a bad idea unless you have people in both places to watch the decks.  For one, you can't check levels - which will vary a ton more with a board feed or onstage mics than, say, mics in the audience.  And two, well, things like people, beer, etc. tend to have an adverse effect on unattended portable electronic devices.
Both valid points, for certain. But to play devils advocate, just having both stereo pairs on the same clock doesn't solve everything. What do you do when the mic pair moves during the music? Granted it's still easier on a single clock than the "two M10" solution.  . . But I have had good results sync'ing two clocks once, and using the ratio to do the rest of the material from the gig.

If the SBD area is in danger of beer, there are bigger problems than a sony M10. That's the unattended one. The microphone pair is the same game as if you didn't have a board feed. Yeah, sometimes it's way easier to set up near the board, and that's when a good 4-channel unit is great. But the Tascam DR-2D ain't it. I've gotta have two sets of line ins. But I'm a guy with a good pair of mics and a preamp, so that's my world.

Just checking in now that I have pulled the trigger on my second PCM-M10 (black.) Full Compass has it for $202.30 but I'm in 'sconnie so I'd have to pay sales tax if I drove over there. Sweetwater got me $210 delivered and I don't have to drive across town. Bam. I don't think I can still get a weird little sony case like I got from the first one, but I'll check if they're still givin' em out.
https://toad.social/@morst spoutible.com/morst post.news/@acffhmorst

Offline spyder9

• Trade Count: (82)
  • "Are you Zman?"
    • My Archived shows
« Reply #17 on: December 27, 2010, 07:50:01 PM »
Hi i am interested in this comparison. Is the Sony a sonically superior recorder?

Cheers

Dom

M10 is at its best in front of a warm preamplifier.  Really clean, fast ADC, does not add any color to the sound.  Very low noise.  Goes perfectly with transformer based preamps, IMO.  That's why have the M10.  I have an Aerco and a Littlebox pimped out with Jensons. 

On the other hand, Tascam sounds wonderful going straight in, no preamp at all.  Nice warm sound.  When I had the 2d's predecessor, the DR-1, I recorded two shows using strictly a Denecke PS-2 phantom power module in the chain...........and was stunned with the positive results.  This unit's sound will make those on a budget very happy. 

Bottom line:  You can't go wrong with either.  Its up to you to find the actual sound you enjoy and want to share.  With today's technology, its getting down to not what's the better equipment, what's the best sound for me.  Happiness is in the ear of the beholder.    8)         

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • We create auditory illusions, not reproductions
« Reply #18 on: December 27, 2010, 08:28:59 PM »
If manual sync'ing isn't an issue for you, you might consider one M10 and one DR2d.  Cost is about the same, and doing that that gives you two seperate recorders wth a total of 6 channels, 4 sync'ed..  plus the slightly different sonic flavors mentioned to play with.  Drawback is the different operating methods and run-times of the different decks- there is certainly something to be said for identical gear when running complex multi-channel rigs.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.04 seconds with 30 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com