Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Need advice/info on choosing new recorder  (Read 7186 times)

Offline Om_Audio

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Re: Need advice/info on choosing new recorder
« Reply #15 on: December 30, 2011, 10:45:18 PM »
just curious but what's the big need for sequential file naming?
Also, are you not planning on using external mics/preamp at this point unless it's for binaural mics?

My recorder actually does more duty as a musical idea catcher- I grab it and record ideas and sort them later. With prev unit I could copy all files off recorder to PC and file naming would continue where it left off on the recorder. This proves essential when going back over/through the recordings as many will be related/variations and will stay grouped based on file name. The Zoom H1 I got has created a huge mess for me as I don't really have time to name or organize all the recordings at first (it starts naming from 1 if you clear the card or from whatever number is left on the card). I have resorted to letting windows append duplicate file names so I have "01" "02" etc. at end of file names- then when I went to use Bulk Renamer to give them a sequence I discovered it does not make a date created, only a date modified which leaves me in a pinch as the files are "modified" when they are copied to the PC!
long winded but hope that makes sense- basically it is a way to keep track of everything with some sort of linear foundation that does not change and can be used for reference.

As for preamp for binaurals I never did use one- almost got a battery box but they sounded fine on the M-Audio Microtrack. I use the Zoom H1 built in mics mostly these days and have not recorded a concert in awhile (kicking myself hard for not recording Richard Stekol the other night- melted my face off it was such a good show) I find myself very distracted when minding recording and have abstained as of late to just enjoy fully in the moment. I do have some gems though that I am so grateful to have recorded (binaurals taped to shoulders under shirt works so great!)
« Last Edit: December 30, 2011, 10:47:27 PM by Om_Audio »

Offline TimeBandit

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #16 on: December 31, 2011, 06:55:18 AM »
Or whisper into your mics "set 1" and "set 2" and so on and so on :P ;D

usually i do that on festivals recording much bands, starting recording early enough - saying the band name and date into the mics. so i can sort out the recordings later much easier at home.

the mictrotrakc er has also 5V PIP afair so your mics sounded good with em.

For your neeeds most records have a settings feature, that they start with zero when inserted a fresh card, or continue counting the file naming.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2011, 06:58:05 AM by TimeBandit »
2015 rig: CA-11 -> CA-9100 -> PCM-M10
2016 rig: Sony PCM-M10 + SP-SPSB-4 microphone plug-in power supply +  SP-CMC8 with Low Sens mod
[backup: CA-9100 - Tascam DR-05 Firmware 2.0 + Yamaha Pocketrak W24]
video 2016: Casio EX-100 HS (same as Olympus Stylus1 - but much smaller - japan import not availiable in EU)

Offline aaronji

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #17 on: December 31, 2011, 07:29:53 AM »

1-
sequential naming with created date in header is a MUST and also sequential naming to continue after card/memory is erased- PCM-M10 still not clear on these points- date created in header is less important if file naming continues after erasing.

You may have a problem with this.  I think most recorders (at least the ones I have used) will reset the file number when the card is erased/switched.  On the M10, I am pretty sure that if you record to two cards on the same day, you'll end up with two files with the same name.  You could number the cards, though.

2-Marantz PMD620 is out- this Amazon review comment mirrors experience with my M-Audio (2 diff units and diff CF cards) and is maddening "Here's the problem: it fails to properly record once every 40 or 50 files. It doesn't record header info for the files which renders them useless. "

I'm surprised to hear that.  I have been using one (actually two) for four years and never had an issue.  There were some other people here that also used one, and I don't recall ever hearing about such a problem from one of them either...Personally, I still think it is a pretty nice recorder, but, if you don't need the 5V PIP, there are better options these days.

Offline Om_Audio

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #18 on: January 01, 2012, 04:21:42 AM »
You may have a problem with this.  I think most recorders (at least the ones I have used) will reset the file number when the card is erased/switched.  On the M10, I am pretty sure that if you record to two cards on the same day, you'll end up with two files with the same name.  You could number the cards, though.

Well I got really used to this with the Microtrack. If I cant find a recorder that does this I might just take a look at the specs and user feedback on the Microtrack 2 and see if it applies. Or wait- maybe I could just never delete very last file off card- bah- I would still lose track. Hmm.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2012, 05:22:41 AM by Om_Audio »

Offline rastasean

• in paradise
  • Trade Count: (23)
« Reply #19 on: January 01, 2012, 10:18:58 AM »
While the way you have setup for your organization is good, I don't think you will have a hard time learning a new way. Plus, when you plug the recorder into your computer, you can rename the files as you wish as you move them into the correct directories. I know this is not ideal but i think the m10 is a recorder that deserves a hard look even with this negative point.

For binaural mic recordings, take a look at countryman b3. I have a pair of omni mics that could be used in a binaural fashion and don't require a pre-amp.While they are more expensive than binaural mics on soundprofessionals, I think the quality is also better.
Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it’s worth.

Offline aaronji

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #20 on: January 01, 2012, 07:26:30 PM »

Well I got really used to this with the Microtrack. If I cant find a recorder that does this I might just take a look at the specs and user feedback on the Microtrack 2 and see if it applies. Or wait- maybe I could just never delete very last file off card- bah- I would still lose track. Hmm.

On the M10, the file names are given as a date plus a number (like "120101_01.wav").  For the first 99 files, the number will range from 01 to 99 (not sure what happens after that).  If you don't need to go past 99 files per day, the file naming won't be a problem...I think other some of the other recorders are similar (although many of the ones I am familiar with don't include the date).

As for the Microtrack 2, I don't have any experience with it, but judging from the comments on this site, I would be hesitant to go that route...

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #21 on: January 01, 2012, 09:24:12 PM »
You wont have any naming problems with the M10, trust me. Like the others have said, the file naming for the M10 has the date and THEN the number for that particular file ;) Once you use it a few times you'll have a good system down for renaming them anyway ;)
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline Will_S

• Trade Count: (15)
« Reply #22 on: January 02, 2012, 10:07:54 AM »
DR-2D has sequential file naming, even if you erase or change cards.

Offline Om_Audio

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #23 on: January 02, 2012, 04:02:54 PM »
So the naming method used by the M10 and the DR-2D both seem like they would work. I think the M10 method is more foolproof as you just need to make sure the date is set correctly and i could use Bulk Renamer to truncate the numbering. The DR-2D is cheaper, etc. and naming could possibly be reset by dead battery? (Will_S can you clarify?) I will look at these 2 models more closely. I think if I really want to do a good rec with my binaurals I could buy or build a power supply for them. thanks so much for all the info!

BTW- Bulk Renamer is one of the best programs EVER- http://www.bulkrenameutility.co.uk/Main_Intro.php

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.066 seconds with 32 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com