Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: New SONY PCM-A10  (Read 2883 times)

Offline jerryfreak

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • I'm a llama! (taboot)
Re: New SONY PCM-A10
« Reply #45 on: November 11, 2018, 11:59:36 PM »
A completely discharged battery takes approximately 90 minutes to charge (via the USB ports on a 2014 MacBook Pro).

good to know a quick 15 minutes with a portable charger at setbreak seems like more than enough to carry you thru a second set

Offline nulldogmas

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #46 on: November 12, 2018, 12:27:38 AM »
Thanks, Sebastian, for the detailed report! This all sounds very promising, especially that long battery life.

Offline Ozpeter

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #47 on: November 12, 2018, 06:53:40 AM »
Excellent comparative review - thanks!

I know that most participants here regard use of built in mics with horror, but it might none the less be interesting if you were able to somehow compare the three in that respect.  As is well known here, my opinion of the M10 mics is that the sound is good but the stereo image is useless.  The Roland I think has the same mic design as the M10 (I am open to correction!).  The A10 has cardioid mics that have a fighting chance of producing a stereo image - but maybe they sound crap for all that.  Any comments?

Offline nulldogmas

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #48 on: November 12, 2018, 08:44:47 AM »
I'd also be curious to hear a side-by-side comparison of the M10 and A10, with similar inputs. Does the new device have the same built-in preamp quality, despite being only a single jack for both mic and line in?

Offline Sebastian

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #49 on: November 12, 2018, 10:05:07 AM »
I'd also be curious to hear a side-by-side comparison of the M10 and A10, with similar inputs. Does the new device have the same built-in preamp quality, despite being only a single jack for both mic and line in?

I'm planning on doing that comp next. I don't think the single jack vs. multiple jacks thing has anything to do with the quality. To put it another way: We do not know that the M10 had separate preamps on the two separate inputs. And we don't know that the A10's input goes to a single preamp. Since it is switchable between Mic and Line input, it could theoretically also route to two separate preamps (although I highly doubt that).
Schoeps { MK6 | MK41V | MK4 } > NBob actives > {Naiant Tinybox v2.0 | Naiant IPA | Naiant PFAs} > {Zoom F8 | Sony PCM-M10 | Tascam DR-2d | Olympus LS-P1}

Recordings:
Live Music Archive | DaD Torrents | TTD Torrents | Etree Torrents

Offline nulldogmas

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #50 on: November 12, 2018, 12:33:08 PM »

I'm planning on doing that comp next. I don't think the single jack vs. multiple jacks thing has anything to do with the quality. To put it another way: We do not know that the M10 had separate preamps on the two separate inputs. And we don't know that the A10's input goes to a single preamp. Since it is switchable between Mic and Line input, it could theoretically also route to two separate preamps (although I highly doubt that).

All very likely, but I'm still eager to hear how your next comp comes out.

I am getting tempted to sell one of my M10s and buy an A10 so I can do some side-by-side tests myself...

Offline Sevoflurane

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #51 on: November 12, 2018, 02:10:05 PM »
Thanks for the detailed report, Sebastian! Looking forward to hearing an M10/A10 comparison! But this looks like a great option for stealthing to move on from the M10.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.171 seconds with 35 queries.
© 2002-2018 Taperssection.com