Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Protecting Soundboard from Phantom  (Read 5571 times)

Offline eman

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Return of the Shredi
Re: Protecting Soundboard from Phantom
« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2013, 03:01:44 PM »
Patchbay, one end, Bantam TT, to XLR male, to 1/4" female adapter, 1/4" male adapters on RCA to 1/8" mini plug > M10. Perhaps too many adapters but the only cable I found was TT to XLR. I'll admit I know nothing about what comes out of the patchbay but it was suggested by my friend that the patchbay will/may be used to get what signals we need, and it is very convenient to the area where we currently set our decks for patching out.
Theologically speaking, the two parties have divided the Seven Deadly Sins as follows: Republicans oppose lust, sloth and envy; Democrats scorn gluttony, greed, wrath and pride. Little progress is reported. -Gene Lyons

kirk97132

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2013, 05:51:24 PM »
Patchbay, one end, Bantam TT, to XLR male, to 1/4" female adapter, 1/4" male adapters on RCA to 1/8" mini plug > M10. Perhaps too many adapters but the only cable I found was TT to XLR. I'll admit I know nothing about what comes out of the patchbay but it was suggested by my friend that the patchbay will/may be used to get what signals we need, and it is very convenient to the area where we currently set our decks for patching out.
ok sounds lie you are reinventing the wheel...way too much work (I think) for this.  Sooooooo......lets go back to square one.  What do you want to record from the SBD? 
1.)two channels? 
2.) "SBD" feed?   
 a.)SBD option A: what is being sent to the the house(most common type of SBD feed)
 b.)SBD option B: O custom mix done by SBD operator mixed just for you( Least common type of feed and requires extra work for sbd guy)
3.) mics run through sbd preamps and sent to your recording deck?(not common but can be done, requires a little work for sbd guy)
4.) Multitrack feed? IE: something like an alesis HD-24 that allows 24 seperate mono tracks of recording( maybe a Tascam DR-680 with 8 tracks)

Bottom line what are you looking to get from the set up you are discussing.  In 20 years of recording I have never needed a patchbay  until I wanted to do multitrack recording and even then it was not necessary just a convience item for me.  Let us knowwhat you are trying to accomplish and then we can make some recomendation for you to check out..

kirk97132

« Reply #17 on: March 07, 2013, 04:28:32 PM »
And most patchbays are NOT TT(3/16") they are 1/4".  The TT application is used more in studio routing of equipment.

Offline eman

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Return of the Shredi
« Reply #18 on: March 07, 2013, 06:51:17 PM »
They are TT and they are very accessible, which is nice when you have a dark enclosure all around the back of the board.
As I said, I am primarily concerned with a stereo main mix, but multi track with FOH help is also possible.
Theologically speaking, the two parties have divided the Seven Deadly Sins as follows: Republicans oppose lust, sloth and envy; Democrats scorn gluttony, greed, wrath and pride. Little progress is reported. -Gene Lyons

kirk97132

« Reply #19 on: March 08, 2013, 11:01:19 AM »
They are TT and they are very accessible, which is nice when you have a dark enclosure all around the back of the board.
As I said, I am primarily concerned with a stereo main mix, but multi track with FOH help is also possible.
so I take it from your post that the venue already has a TT patch bay. Next you need to find out exactly what is run through the patch bay.    All of the TT style patch bays I have used were set up to allow the top row of jacks to be routed to the bottom row of jacks in order simplify hooking up equipment that lived in a rack elsewhere.  BUT they do no have to hooked up that way.  Other than getting into a conversation about normaled and half nprmaled etc.  I will assume that the FOH guy will tell you where to plug in.  For a "normal" SBDlike a taper gets most of the time.  You will get whatever is being sent to the main PA.  SO you will want either a feed that mirrors the main out, or a stereo matrix out(this has nothing to do with what tapers call a matrix recording) or some consoles have a rec out.  That will give you your stereo SBD feed.  Hopefully one of those are already in the patchbay.  Remember just cause there is a patchbay does not mean that ever option from the SBD is hooked up to it.   ALL THIS ASSUMES that by inserting into the patch bay you are NOT breaking any internal connections.  something that is an easy to do in a patch bay.   at this point I'd stick to that.  And if you are seriously gonna consider multitracking then start reading up on how to run a sbd, how to hook up patchbays and any other info that you can lay your hands on before you attempt it.  Knowledge is power.  Get your stereo recordings down pat first.  In reading between the linbes it also seems the sbd guy is telling you things assuming that you'll understand what he is talking about.  rather than just coming here for answers, don't be afraind to tell him, I have no idea what you are talking about.  Maybe you have a few minutes to educate me.  Enlisting his help after admoiting you are lost is WAY WAY better than coming here or an answer only to talk to him later as he realizes you have no idea whats going on all while you are attempting to appear that you understand him.  It's not a put down to you but an observation from someone who works in sound and lighting for a living, Kirk

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.186 seconds with 33 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com