Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Need direction on picking a mic  (Read 5953 times)

Marshall7

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Need direction on picking a mic
« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2013, 10:55:30 PM »
I'll throw in another vote for the AT853's.  Just got them recently (cards and omnis) and I've been very happy with the results and sound.

Offline spankee02

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #16 on: December 07, 2013, 07:57:30 AM »
i've been doing this on and off since the gd taper section in '94. i've used mostly audio tech n rhode mics, n found that in evry situation i've been in, my sound design mp-2 pre amp  made evrything WAY better. even when it's real loud with of sound pressure. althuogh i'ts a dinosaur, I still use it.- my 2cents

Offline emcdos

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #17 on: December 07, 2013, 08:44:09 AM »

AT853 and CA14 both are great... but an used pair of Soundman OKMIIR would be another nice alternative for omni recordings....

Offline Church-Audio

• Trade Count: (44)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #18 on: December 07, 2013, 09:23:24 AM »
your strategy for picking mics should take into account your anticipated location for recording shows (i.e. OTS or FOB) and your tollerance for audience noise.

generally speaking...

- if you're going to be back by the soundboard or in the rear of the venue you'll want a more directional mic (i.e. hyper-cardioid or super-cardioid)
- if you're close to the stage/sound source you can go with a less directional mic (i.e. omni, cardioid or sub-cardioid)
- if you have a high tolerance for audience chatter stick with the onmi, sub-cardioid or cardioid patterns
- if audience chatter drives you crazy then stay away from the omni and the sub-cardioid patterns
Thats really good advice.
for warranty returns email me at
EMAIL Sales@church-audio.com

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.035 seconds with 27 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com