Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Tascam DR-70D - modification discussion  (Read 27565 times)

Offline illconditioned

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Tascam DR-70D - modification discussion
« Reply #135 on: February 02, 2018, 06:06:47 PM »
LOL.
That would be me a few years ago.

Since then I've reduced my hacking.
Have not reduced gear acquisition though ...

Please DO NOT mail me with tech questions.  I will try to answer in the forums when I get a chance.  Thanks.

Sample recordings at: http://www.soundmann.com.

Offline malow

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
  • Tascam DR-70D W/mods
« Reply #136 on: February 03, 2018, 01:33:40 AM »
Since then I've reduced my hacking.

WHAT?? And, like, use equipment the way they came out of the box? That's INCONCEIVABLE!!!  ;D ;D ;D

Hacking is love. Hacking is life.  :headphones:

Offline malow

• Taperssection Newbie
  • Tascam DR-70D W/mods
« Reply #137 on: February 03, 2018, 09:19:52 PM »
Did a quick test, 4 channels recording (all xlr/trs and one channel with phantom power). lcd light always on.

filled a 32gb card (15 hours and 23 minutes, 48khz/24bit) and still have some battery left   :o :o

so, that's a win in my book  :cheers:

Offline morst

• Archivist: Camper Van Beethoven & Cracker
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Get in touch if you wanna record Cracker or CVB!
    • Soundscape Preservation Society
« Reply #138 on: February 03, 2018, 11:43:47 PM »
Malow, looks like you replaced the Remote connector with a power charging adaptor maybe?

And removed the "camera in" jack to make space for the second RCA?
Teams: Neumann, Bay Area Tapers, Multitrack, Pioneertown Tapers, Mac Geeks, Cassette Masters, Poster Collectors, Alumni of teams St Louis, Upper Midwest & Milwaukee / Southern Wisco

Offline malow

• Taperssection Newbie
  • Tascam DR-70D W/mods
« Reply #139 on: February 03, 2018, 11:50:44 PM »
Malow, looks like you replaced the Remote connector with a power charging adaptor maybe?

yes, replaced the "remote" with a connector to charge internal li-ion batteries.

and removed "line out" and "camera in" to RCA line out only ("camera in" is not needed for me)

changing the subject, after a few power measurements, I discovered that the recorder does not "shut off" power to the preamps when a channel is set not to record

What this mean is, the channels set NOT TO RECORD still have power delivered to them

So, If you set to record only channel 1 and 2, and the 3 and 4 are set to xlr/trs, it will consume 20% more power from the batteries than if you set 3 and 4 to MIC

Same thing if you set to record 3 and 4 to MIC and disable 1 and 2. If you set 1 and 2 to xlr/trs, it will consume 20% more power than if you set to ext_stereo

so, you can get 20% more battery for free depending on how you use ;)
« Last Edit: February 04, 2018, 01:59:11 AM by malow »

Offline morst

« Reply #140 on: February 05, 2018, 12:20:31 AM »
changing the subject, after a few power measurements, I discovered that the recorder does not "shut off" power to the preamps when a channel is set not to record

What this mean is, the channels set NOT TO RECORD still have power delivered to them

So, If you set to record only channel 1 and 2, and the 3 and 4 are set to xlr/trs, it will consume 20% more power from the batteries than if you set 3 and 4 to MIC

Same thing if you set to record 3 and 4 to MIC and disable 1 and 2. If you set 1 and 2 to xlr/trs, it will consume 20% more power than if you set to ext_stereo

WOW! Great discovery!  :D
I assume this would apply to power use off a USB connection if that's where power was coming from? So not just a battery savings, but longer run times on the USB power as well?

Teams: Neumann, Bay Area Tapers, Multitrack, Pioneertown Tapers, Mac Geeks, Cassette Masters, Poster Collectors, Alumni of teams St Louis, Upper Midwest & Milwaukee / Southern Wisco

Offline malow

• Taperssection Newbie
  • Tascam DR-70D W/mods
« Reply #141 on: February 05, 2018, 05:59:24 AM »
My tests where with internal batteries, not USB. But I believe the working principle is the same independent of source power. So, the same applies to USB power. Less consumption, longer run-times :)
« Last Edit: February 05, 2018, 07:16:01 AM by malow »

Offline morst

« Reply #142 on: February 05, 2018, 08:05:04 PM »
My tests where with internal batteries, not USB. But I believe the working principle is the same independent of source power. So, the same applies to USB power. Less consumption, longer run-times :)
That is my assumption as well. Why would choice of power source affect that?

Offline voltronic

• Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #143 on: February 06, 2018, 06:23:23 AM »

yes, replaced the "remote" with a connector to charge internal li-ion batteries.

and removed "line out" and "camera in" to RCA line out only ("camera in" is not needed for me)

Just to be clear, are you finding this is the case even if phantom power is disabled for the non-armed tracks?  (As in, set to MIC instead of MIC+PHANTOM)
DPA 4061 | Line Audio CM3 | Naiant X-Q
Naiant PFAs | Shure FP24
Tascam DR-70D JWMod | Sony PCM-M10

Tascam DR-70D FAQ
Team Line Audio
I am hitting my head against the walls, but the walls are giving way.    ///    If a composer could say what he had to say in words he would not bother trying to say it in music.
- Gustav Mahler

Offline malow

• Taperssection Newbie
  • Tascam DR-70D W/mods
« Reply #144 on: February 06, 2018, 06:50:59 AM »
Just to be clear, are you finding this is the case even if phantom power is disabled for the non-armed tracks?  (As in, set to MIC instead of MIC+PHANTOM)
yes. tested again now just to make sure.

EDIT: now with a removable backup recorder. cause, why not? ;)

(using power from dr-70 internal batteries, and i added a line-out 3.5mm plug inside the front cover)
« Last Edit: February 06, 2018, 01:06:51 PM by malow »

Offline malow

• Taperssection Newbie
  • Tascam DR-70D W/mods
« Reply #145 on: February 13, 2018, 01:51:44 AM »
After realizing that recover files from the card if any problem happens are almost impossible, i decided to put the backup recorder fixed on the DR-70D.

very happy with this device. the only thing that bugs me is that the right build-in mic is a bit louder than the left. to match them i have to set one lower than the other :(

Offline malow

• Taperssection Newbie
  • Tascam DR-70D W/mods
« Reply #146 on: February 18, 2018, 11:22:38 AM »
ok, last modification i think... added one AA battery inside for the backup recorder (instead of using li-ion from recorder), made a new front cover with connectors and a cut-out for direct SD card access. i think it's enough for now ;)

« Last Edit: February 18, 2018, 11:25:53 AM by malow »

Offline Neilyboy

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #147 on: March 17, 2018, 07:23:38 AM »
Impressive mods man!. Love the internal battery modification!
Neil
Mic's: AKG C214's, Line Audio CM3, AT4041SP, AT853 (C, SC, O), AT943 (C, H)
Pre's: Sound Devices MixPre 2
Rec's: Sony PCM-M10, Edirol R-44, Tascam DR60D MKii, Tascam DR70D x 2

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.192 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2018 Taperssection.com