Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Rycote Single Lyres vs. Duo-Lyre Stiffness / Compliance  (Read 5631 times)

Offline voltronic

• Trade Count: (34)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Rycote Single Lyres vs. Duo-Lyre Stiffness / Compliance
« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2020, 09:04:50 PM »
I'd be pretty surprised if he sees your response.

Why is that?  He was here a few weeks ago.

Last Active: March 31, 2020, 02:51:17 AM
DPA 4061 | Line Audio CM3 | Naiant X-Q | AT 853  //  Naiant PFAs | Shure FP24  //  Zoom F6 | Sony PCM-M10
MOTU M2 | KRK Rokit RP5 | Sennheiser HD 650

Team Line Audio

Offline DSatz

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (35)
« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2020, 07:03:11 AM »
Also coming back to this thread after a period of absence. I don't know, but it looks to me as if "shore hardness" might describe a material's properties, rather than those of any particular item made of that material--like density, which alone won't tell you how much a bar of iron will weigh, until you also know how much iron is in the bar.

--best regards
music > microphones > a recorder of some sort

Offline voltronic

• Trade Count: (34)
« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2020, 08:44:20 AM »
Also coming back to this thread after a period of absence. I don't know, but it looks to me as if "shore hardness" might describe a material's properties, rather than those of any particular item made of that material--like density, which alone won't tell you how much a bar of iron will weigh, until you also know how much iron is in the bar.

I have to imagine that density of the material plays a role in shore rating, though I can't say for sure:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shore_durometer

From my correspondence with Simon Davies, he makes it clear that the big difference between the stiffness of single Lyres and the increased stiffness of Duo-Lyres of the same shore rating is the thickness of the material at certain points in the suspension.  What that means is that going by shore rating alone can get you to the wrong product for your application, as it did for me.

It's no secret that I am a big fan of Rycote suspensions, but I wish they would make this clear in their literature, instead of just saying that a particular suspension is for "this one particular mic, with a windscreen fitted".  If you own mics that are not in one of their application lists, you need to do some investigating and experimentation.  I arrived at the 62-shore single Lyres for Line Audio mics because their mass is similar to the MKH 8000 mics for which those Lyres are specified, but I feel I got lucky to find something that close.

What would be far more helpful is to list suspensions by a compliance rating for a certain mass and length range.  For example: "suitable for microphone systems with a total mass (including windscreen) of 300-600 g".
DPA 4061 | Line Audio CM3 | Naiant X-Q | AT 853  //  Naiant PFAs | Shure FP24  //  Zoom F6 | Sony PCM-M10
MOTU M2 | KRK Rokit RP5 | Sennheiser HD 650

Team Line Audio

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.031 seconds with 44 queries.
© 2002-2020 Taperssection.com