Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: iZotope Rx 7  (Read 16991 times)

Offline lerond

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Regular
Re: iZotope Rx 7
« Reply #135 on: June 15, 2020, 08:40:37 PM »
Can anyone with RX7 Advanced comment about the DeRustle, DeWind, and Ambience Match tools?

I'm particularly thinking that the last one might help establish a better baseline sound when performing gain adjustments up (on band member banter) and down (on audience applause) for acoustic shows with an enthusiastic crowd: ideally, I'd like to be be able to tone down the audience and still be able to bring up banter, without either one leading to noticeable "pumping" in the ambient noise floor.

Ben, do you have suggestions for Rx7 Std tools/setting that can perform the first two functions?
ain't no party like a katydid party
jumpin' and a hoppin' and singin' them songs!

Offline Ben Turnbull

• Don't ask me about Audacity...
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • A Clark Nova ate my lunch... Don't ask, just pee
« Reply #136 on: June 15, 2020, 10:23:52 PM »
I had a 90 day run with advanced a year ago and was told that this and that might work on some tough problem recordings, music on an old train... a moving train.  :facepalm: My problem material didn't respond well at all so I don't know how to rate those niche tool sets. For my money, Spectral Repair is the workhorse instrument.

Ambience Match: Sounds like you're wanting something to automatically balance serial sections of a track, music then tween tune clap and banter then more music... I can't say that's what I'd expect it to do. I treat those "tween" bits separately with some De-Click and maybe some envelope work with the View Clip Gain line that you find on the 0 mark when activated. You can easily ramp in and out, up or down, with that method of gain control. You need to be alert for when you use it in the editing chain, however. When you treat a section with it, say you actually boost some low volume banter, and then later swing through with SpecRepair in that same area, the repair will 0 out any envelope work you've done. You'll be able to put it right again, but it's an extra bit of work.

You may have found this discussion on YTube already. It's a discussion of the Ambience matching tool used as a plug in of Pro Tools. Here's another... You'll not find a fit for what you describe as your desired affect. It seems to do a decent job when dealing with multi track projects, but a two track linear program might be problematic.

As for the  other tools, De-Rustle and De-Wind they each supposedly tackle specific faults that their names imply. The rustle of something against the mic or foam screen or the buffeting of the wind that we sometimes are blessed with.  I tried them both but I don't think they were designed to deal with festival style induced trauma on a concert pull. I think a lot of the tools RX is developed for are aimed at film and studio work, not the vulgar inclusions developed in the field.

Someone else may have more experience and have different takes on the matter, but those are mine.

Hope that helps.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2020, 10:30:55 PM by Ben Turnbull »
Not seeing any shows now (thanks Covid)... None at The Fine Line.
Read "Toward the End of Time" by Updike to know my name sake.
Official Archivist for Jazz Central Studios, MinniMN
DPA4021/SKM140/NakCM1k/AT4051a/ADK A51s/Countryman B3/ATes943/SPc4(och)/S'lux s502... >
TinyBox OT> PCM-M10/DR-680/R4/T+mod UA5 needs attention

Offline WiFiJeff

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
  • I tape therefore I am.
« Reply #137 on: June 19, 2020, 08:53:48 PM »
Thanks, both of you. I just upgraded from RX Elements with the $99 offer, so I need to find a training manual or something of the sort.

It is exactly two years ago that I began this thread, when I spotted on Amazon an announcement of a new book by Eric Kuehnl, "Audio Restoration with iZotope Rx 7," exactly the kind of manual I still (after more than a decade using various versions of Rx) would love to have, and seemingly what you would like as well.  At that time, iZotope had not yet announced the introduction of version 7, but the book announcement had a detailed table of contents, a picture of an artsy book cover, even a page count (304pp), and a publication date of January 2019.  I bought Rx 7 when it finally came out later in 2018, but the book publication kept getting delayed.  In early April I spotted a listing on Book Depository for April 15,  2020 publication and ordered it.  They charged my account, by the end of April it was listed as delayed to May 15.  Finally last week, after no communications or explanations from Book Depository, I asked for a refund.  I then wrote to publisher, Hal Leonard Books, who replied that they had sold the publication rights (along with other titles) to Rowman.  An inquiry to Rowman got a brief answer: "I'm sorry but the publication was cancelled."

So, somewhere out there, there may be a manual.  But no one seems to think it is worth selling it to us.   :bawling:

Jeff

Offline lerond

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #138 on: June 22, 2020, 03:24:11 AM »
Ben, I appreciate your suggestions ... sounds like I can stop worrying that I'm missing out without Advanced.
Need to spend more time learning how to use the tools!
ain't no party like a katydid party
jumpin' and a hoppin' and singin' them songs!

Offline jerryfreak

• Trade Count: (30)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • high desert for life
« Reply #139 on: June 22, 2020, 03:56:21 AM »

So, somewhere out there, there may be a manual.  But no one seems to think it is worth selling it to us.   :bawling:

Jeff

man that sux. do you know the name of the author?
my facemask is a windscreen

People whose posts I wont see:
capnhook, daspyknows, Melanie, morst, Rob D., Scooter123, Sloan Simpson, Walstib62

Offline WiFiJeff

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
  • I tape therefore I am.
« Reply #140 on: June 22, 2020, 10:15:19 AM »

Jeff

man that sux. do you know the name of the author?

Eric Kuehnl.  He has written other audio books.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.059 seconds with 47 queries.
© 2002-2020 Taperssection.com