Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: What are your "holy grail" mics?  (Read 1637 times)

Offline tim in jersey

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: What are your "holy grail" mics?
« Reply #30 on: August 11, 2018, 02:20:18 AM »
Well that would be my sequential s/n Km84s in a Schoeps wooden box.  ;D ;D   Bought these from a guy who needed money for car repairs. 1k for the pair in great condition.

$1000?!  Goodness, I just threw up in my mouth a little.  Right place, right time!

I bought my Schoeps MK4/41>CMC 6, shocks and ORTF bar rig for under $2.5K back around 2003/2004 from a Wall St. trader Panic taper that wanted out of the game... I've since added 4v's to the arsenal and traded the 4's for a pair of MK21's and added KC5's.

Also added a pair of AKG 480 bodies and CK98 short shotgun caps, 2 pair of AKG 568's that were sitting on top of an electronics disposal pile after a room demolition from where I worked at the time a few years back. Oh, and a few AKG Blueline bodies and card caps and articulating knuckles from the same dumpster-dive. All approved by management. And I quote: "We no longer need that 'junk'. Take it home if you want."

OK!

Offline voltronic

• Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #31 on: August 11, 2018, 03:13:33 PM »
I also don't think there is any sort of magic microphone that transforms your recordings.  There is definitely a quality difference between the high end brands and the cheap stuff, but experience and proper technique make so much more of a difference than throwing more money at the situation.

That said, here are some mics I would like to own if I could afford them.  You can tell I'm a fan of omnis.

B&K 4006 TL (discontinued; replaced with DPA 4006)
Josephson c617set
Sonodore LDM-54
Sennheiser MKH30

DPA 4061 | Line Audio CM3 | Naiant X-Q
Naiant PFAs | Shure FP24
Tascam DR-70D JWMod | Sony PCM-M10

Tascam DR-70D FAQ
Team Line Audio
I am hitting my head against the walls, but the walls are giving way.    ///    If a composer could say what he had to say in words he would not bother trying to say it in music.
- Gustav Mahler

Offline EmRR

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Regular
    • ElectroMagnetic Radiation Recorders
« Reply #32 on: August 11, 2018, 11:19:15 PM »
I also don't think there is any sort of magic microphone that transforms your recordings.  There is definitely a quality difference between the high end brands and the cheap stuff, but experience and proper technique make so much more of a difference than throwing more money at the situation.

You can tell I'm a fan of omnis.

Yeah, I'm with ya.  Just today I did an omni mic comparison with a close acoustic guitar, 4 mics, and they are all useful.  The preference even switches up depending on the playing style.  The angle of the mic makes a big difference.  In some cases any two might sound pretty much the same, in another case wildly different.  It's in figuring what to do with them, where to put them, how to treat them in post, etc. 

Offline billydee

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #33 on: August 12, 2018, 12:17:59 PM »
Nakamichi CM-700's with all of the capsules they offered.

Offline Ben Turnbull

• Don't ask me about Audacity...
  • Trade Count: (15)
  • A Clark Nova ate my lunch... Don't ask, just pee
« Reply #34 on: Yesterday at 12:19:26 AM »
Some time ago I heard samples of the Milab DC-196. Like butter.
Who came first, Dave King or Zack Galifianakis?...
-My name is Ben, and I'm an AQhaulic ranting hysterically in my dotage
Official Archivist for Jazz Central Studios, MinniMN
DPA4021/SKM140/NakCM1k/ADK A51s/Countryman B3/ATes943/SPc4/och... > TinyBox OT> PCM-M10/DR-680/R4/T+mod UA5 needs attention

Offline aaronji

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #35 on: Yesterday at 06:16:41 PM »
I'll have to listen to some DPA recordings.  Thanks for the heads up.  You're talking about the MMP-C bodies right?

Yes, the MMP-C. There is a photo of one in this post with a quarter for size reference. I thought I posted one with an AA battery, too, but I can't find it at the moment. I can take other pictures, if you'd like. These things are small enough that I almost always clip to the XLR instead of the mic body itself. Saves wear and tear on the bodies and it also allows me to set-up almost completely before taking the mics out of their cozy little Pelican home!

DPA also sells full-sized bodies and a couple of flavors of active cables (either P48 or microdot, each available with end or side cable exits). The microdot actives can be used with a d:vice (and, presumably, other low voltage supplies). Of course, there are a bunch of capsules available, including a couple of "budget" options, and a number of cool accessories.

The 4015s were my grail mics (which I would define as "mics I lust after that are either too expensive, too scarce, or both" rather than as "magical and defying the laws of physics") until I found a gently used pair at a decent price. I guess now I would love to get some 4011 caps...

Offline justink

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #36 on: Yesterday at 11:10:29 PM »
I've got my Holy Grail mics... both pair of DPA's.  my next "fill in the blank" mics for my kit are one of the active variety AKG hyper ck3 or ck93 variety.
Mics:
DPA 4028 (wide cards)
DPA 4023 (cards)
Earthworks TC25 (omnis) 

Pres and a/d's:
Oade ACM Grace Lunatec V3 (FOR SALE - Make Offer)
bm2p+ Edirol UA-5 (FOR SALE - Make Offer)

Recorders:
Sound Devices MixPre-10T
Oade CM Edirol R-44 (FOR SALE - Make Offer)
Sony PCM‑M10

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.207 seconds with 35 queries.
© 2002-2018 Taperssection.com