Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Raspberry Pi HiFiBerry: External Hard Drive USB to Stereo Receiver  (Read 23262 times)

Offline heathen

• Trade Count: (23)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: External Hard Drive USB to Stereo Receiver
« Reply #30 on: February 04, 2019, 12:00:14 PM »
Any idea if the HiFiBerry bundle comes with a power supply (as in what's pictured) or does that need to be added to the bundle ?

https://www.hifiberry.com/shop/bundles/dac-bundle/
I'm not certain.  That picture certainly makes it look like it comes with a power supply, but then scrolling down it looks like it's just the DAC board.  Probably best to contact them to make sure.
Mics: AT4050ST | AT4031 | AT853 (C/SC) | Line Audio CM3 | Sennheiser e614 | Sennheiser MKE2 | DPA 4061 Pre: CA9200 Decks: Zoom F8 | Roland R-05

Offline kindms

• Trade Count: (6)
    • The Breakfast
« Reply #31 on: February 04, 2019, 07:37:43 PM »
Raspberry Pi folks

If I have a USB DAC I am assuming all i need is the base Pi + an OS correct ?

No need to get an onboard DAC unless I want to run straight to an AMP

I know its a dumb question and Im pretty sure the answer is all I need is a Pi but before I buy one to play with figured I would confirm

Correct.  Just connect the Pi to the DAC via USB cable and you're off to the races.

do you happen to know if the frontend will support multiple Pi's on a LAN ? so i can select say pi in one room vs the other ?

That I don't know.

I was able to answer my own question. It seems at least volumio supports multi device selection with in the UI
AKG c426, AKG414 XLS/ST, AKG ck61, ck22, >nBob colettes >PFA > V3, SD MixPre >  TCM-Mod Tascam HDP2, Sony M10
Little Bear tube Pre >Outlaw Audio 2200 Monoblocks > VR-2's

Offline KenH

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #32 on: February 11, 2019, 12:34:22 PM »
My HiFi Berry arrived at the post office  :clapping:   Less than a week to arrive which is awesome considering it was shipped from Switzerland!
I'm psyched to check it out!

A couple of questions:
- Once Volumio or Rune is installed via Micro SD, use Bluetooth to connect to the unit, and configure it from there ?
- Do I need to purchase Volumio from the Apple Store, or will the app run on the iPhone once connected via Bluetooth ?
And/Or:
- Configure using a web interface, but connecting to my WiFi would require my WiFI password.  I've seen a YouTube video where the user accesses the unit via volumio.local/, but he had his unit connected via Ethernet cable.  I suppose I could do the same thing in the "office", then configure from there...

Thanks again!
retired

Offline heathen

« Reply #33 on: February 11, 2019, 12:42:08 PM »
My HiFi Berry arrived at the post office  :clapping:   Less than a week to arrive which is awesome considering it was shipped from Switzerland!
I'm psyched to check it out!

A couple of questions:
- Once Volumio or Rune is installed via Micro SD, use Bluetooth to connect to the unit, and configure it from there ?
- Do I need to purchase Volumio from the Apple Store, or will the app run on the iPhone once connected via Bluetooth ?
And/Or:
- Configure using a web interface, but connecting to my WiFi would require my WiFI password.  I've seen a YouTube video where the user accesses the unit via volumio.local/, but he had his unit connected via Ethernet cable.  I suppose I could do the same thing in the "office", then configure from there...

Thanks again!

I've always connected via my local network through my phone's web browser (with both Rune and Volumio).  No bluetooth or apps necessary.  I also always just connected via ethernet cable, but I doubt the wifi is a big deal to setup.  Do you not know your wifi password?
Mics: AT4050ST | AT4031 | AT853 (C/SC) | Line Audio CM3 | Sennheiser e614 | Sennheiser MKE2 | DPA 4061 Pre: CA9200 Decks: Zoom F8 | Roland R-05

Offline KenH

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #34 on: February 11, 2019, 02:29:09 PM »
I do know the password, of course.  I set it up :)   

To connect a device (like a phone) to WiFi, you need to enter your password.   Similarly, connecting the RPi to WiFi would also require a password, but would need to connect to the RPi first to configure it, sort of a chicken or egg scenario.

Will see what develops when it's built and if access through the phone will work sufficiently.
retired

Offline heathen

« Reply #35 on: February 11, 2019, 02:35:27 PM »
I do know the password, of course.  I set it up :)   

To connect a device (like a phone) to WiFi, you need to enter your password.   Similarly, connecting the RPi to WiFi would also require a password, but would need to connect to the RPi first to configure it, sort of a chicken or egg scenario.

Will see what develops when it's built and if access through the phone will work sufficiently.

I think Volumio/Rune don't have a password out of the box.  I don't remember having to input one, at least. 

Offline kindms

• Trade Count: (6)
    • The Breakfast
« Last Edit: February 11, 2019, 04:34:15 PM by kindms »
AKG c426, AKG414 XLS/ST, AKG ck61, ck22, >nBob colettes >PFA > V3, SD MixPre >  TCM-Mod Tascam HDP2, Sony M10
Little Bear tube Pre >Outlaw Audio 2200 Monoblocks > VR-2's

Offline KenH

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #37 on: February 12, 2019, 09:58:49 AM »
Cool, thanks!

I got the HiFiBerry DAC+ PRO - anyone else using that ?   Wondering if I should have gotten the DIGI, will see how the DAC+ sounds vs the DAC in my receiver.
retired

Offline heathen

« Reply #38 on: February 12, 2019, 10:02:31 AM »
If you end up wanting to try the digi let me know. I'm pretty sure I have one sitting around I could send you if you feel like paying a few bucks to cover postage.

If the DAC in your receiver has USB in, though, you can just use the USB port on the Pi without any hat.  I like that method, personally.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2019, 10:04:31 AM by heathen »

Offline KenH

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #39 on: February 12, 2019, 10:17:47 AM »
Receiver has no USB in...  thanks for the offer, might take you up on that...
retired

Offline KenH

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #40 on: February 14, 2019, 11:48:24 AM »
Got it set up and working...  took some time to get it going, but it works!  :D     After some brief listening, I'd say it sounds "OK", but not great.  Requires further critiacl listening...   I did read / see that adding a separate power supply to the DAC could improve things, but want to try the DIGI hat to see if that's better.

The thing is tiny and light weight, pretty cool device!

Thanks for all the advice.  :clapping:
retired

Offline heathen

« Reply #41 on: February 14, 2019, 11:58:14 AM »
Got it set up and working...  took some time to get it going, but it works!  :D     After some brief listening, I'd say it sounds "OK", but not great.  Requires further critiacl listening...   I did read / see that adding a separate power supply to the DAC could improve things, but want to try the DIGI hat to see if that's better.

The thing is tiny and light weight, pretty cool device!

Thanks for all the advice.  :clapping:

One of the things I love about going the Pi route is that even if it doesn't work out, there are about a billion other things you can do with it.  It's pretty much guaranteed to not be a waste.

Offline KenH

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #42 on: February 15, 2019, 10:20:28 AM »
Got a problem.   I have 2 devices, a USB flash drive and a USB SSD, and have used each in the R Pi w/ Volumio.  When I insert either into a PC running Windows 10, I get :

Do you want to scan and fix Great Music (G:)?   [that's what I named the SSD :)]

There might be a problem with some files on this device or disc. This can happen if you remove the device or disc before all files have been written to it.

[Scan and fix (recommended)]
[Continue without scanning]

For the thumb drive, I did the Scan and fix, and it wiped out the contents! (I do have a backup)
The contents of the drives are visible and I can navigate to folders.

But if I try to write anything to the device (before the scan/fix), I get a Copy File error:

An unexpected error is keeping you from copying the file. If you continue to receive this error, you can use the error code to search for help with this problem.
Error 0x80071AC3: The operation could not be completed because the volume is dirty.  Please run chkdsk and try again.

Any ideas ? 
Damn!
retired

Offline heathen

« Reply #43 on: February 15, 2019, 10:40:47 AM »
What file system do you use on the flash drive and SSD?

Offline KenH

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #44 on: February 15, 2019, 11:08:48 AM »
Both are exFAT.   

Also saw something about problems w/ USB drives occurring if just pulled out vs "safe removal", not required for Windows, but maybe for the Pi ?  Ie, shut down the Pi before removing the USB device ?
« Last Edit: February 15, 2019, 11:12:46 AM by KenH »
retired

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.102 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com