Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Oddball microphone technique (OMT) - part 3  (Read 17482 times)

Offline kuba e

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
Re: Oddball microphone technique (OMT) - part 3
« Reply #165 on: March 13, 2020, 08:54:17 PM »
Thank you. It is nice from you.

Offline rocksuitcase

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • RockSuitcase: stage photography
« Reply #166 on: March 18, 2020, 02:07:26 PM »
Slick!  Digging the press-in friction mounting of the antennas via deformation of the rubber "bushings".  It's innovative, simple, low-profile, and appears to be quick to setup and break down. Nice work!
Yeah kuba, very slick! I really like this approach to the wide small omnis. +T
music IS love

When you get confused, listen to the music play!

Mics:         AKG460|CK61|CK1|CK3|CK8|Beyer M 201E|DPA 4060 SK
Recorders:Marantz PMD661 OADE Concert mod; Tascam DR680 MKI

Offline heathen

• Trade Count: (23)
« Reply #167 on: April 12, 2020, 03:09:38 PM »
Question for the OMT experts.  I'm finally getting around to working on my JRAD Red Rocks recording from last summer.  I ran DPA 4061s spread as wide as I could...at least 15 feet I'd say.  Going into the show I was planning on sticking with just that but for the hell of it I took a patch from Todd R's MG M200 rig that was set up in the center of the "section" (and thus about the center of my DPAs).  I figured I could use those sweet sweet MGs to fill in the center of the DPAs if needed.

When I started mixing them together, though, the stereo image got weird at times.  It's most noticeable on a guitar solo, where it will sound like it starts to come from one side then shifts to the other side (left/right in the stereo image, that is).  I kept track of which mics were in which channel so I'm pretty confident I don't have the L/R channels mixed up.  I did try swapping the channels of one set of mics and that seriously messed things up so I don't think that's the issue.  Todd's mics were in a near-spaced configuration...I think it was approximately DIN.

Does anyone have an idea about what could be going on here?

I chickened out and only posted the DPAs.  If anyone is bored and wants to take a crack at mixing the sources just let me know and I'll get you the master files.
Recordings on LMA: https://archive.org/search.php?query=taper%3A%22Lucas+Lorenz%22
Mics: AT4050ST | AT4031 | AT853 (C/SC) | Line Audio CM3 | Sennheiser e614 | Sennheiser MKE2 | DPA 4061 | CA-14 omni Pres: CA9200 | DPA d:vice Decks: Zoom F8 | Roland R-05

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (15)
  • Gunther Theile nailed it!
« Reply #168 on: April 13, 2020, 11:13:56 AM »
^ Sounds good here straight up Lucas.  Enjoying it this morning, thx.  Currently rollin' the sweet Bird Song.

I had some fun messing around with OMT in a giant sewer pipe the last couple weekends- https://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=194159.msg2327608#msg2327608
« Last Edit: April 13, 2020, 11:25:55 AM by Gutbucket »
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<<

Offline heathen

• Trade Count: (23)
« Reply #169 on: April 13, 2020, 04:44:10 PM »
^ Sounds good here straight up Lucas.  Enjoying it this morning, thx.  Currently rollin' the sweet Bird Song.

I had some fun messing around with OMT in a giant sewer pipe the last couple weekends- https://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=194159.msg2327608#msg2327608

Thanks.  If nothing else it's interesting to switch back and forth between my recording and the official recording, because it really illustrates that "hole in the middle" effect from listening to just the wide-spaced omnis on their own.  Which is not to say that I think mine is bad, it's just a radically different presentation of the sound.

I'd love to hear some of the sewer pipe stuff!
Recordings on LMA: https://archive.org/search.php?query=taper%3A%22Lucas+Lorenz%22
Mics: AT4050ST | AT4031 | AT853 (C/SC) | Line Audio CM3 | Sennheiser e614 | Sennheiser MKE2 | DPA 4061 | CA-14 omni Pres: CA9200 | DPA d:vice Decks: Zoom F8 | Roland R-05

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (15)
  • Gunther Theile nailed it!
« Reply #170 on: April 13, 2020, 05:57:06 PM »
Was good fun playing into opposite ends of the shorter pipe length a couple days ago, mostly doing simple 2 chord jams for her to practice simple yet timely fingering changes.  I'll have to listen to see if we were able to make it through a complete segment without embarrassment!  Only brought the phone along for that session so as not to intimidate the fresh upstart talent on the other end.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<<

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.049 seconds with 47 queries.
© 2002-2020 Taperssection.com