Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: brickwalling using XLR conections. Help!  (Read 4882 times)

Offline kuba e

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
Re: brickwalling using XLR conections. Help!
« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2020, 07:04:15 AM »
Attached is a rough idea of what I used, though I used +12dB

Clipping and similar kind of distortions can occur at three different places - in microphone electronics, in recorder electronics or during post processing.

Maybe your problem has arised during post-processing. Your original sample track has headroom 8.8 dB. If you amplify this track by +12dB and you don't use limiter or compressor, you will cause clipping. Amplification above 8.8 dB cuts the highest peaks of sound waveform. You have to use limiter (or compressor). To put it simply, the limiter rounds off the cut off peaks and then it doesn't sound distracting.

« Last Edit: February 24, 2020, 07:35:35 AM by kuba e »

Offline morst

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • VOTE!
    • #twitterSUCKS
« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2020, 12:31:15 PM »
You dont hear distortion on drums? :O Especially Around 1:53
Nope. Floor tom hits are clean. Try a mastering limiter, it's already pretty compressed-sounding.

The distortion I hear is the guitar tones, but they are typical overdriven metal sounding. The growling vocals are similarly distorted from the source, where it sounds like the vocalist might be "cupping" the mic inside the palm of the hand. The guitars are louder than the vocals, but that's just because you were probably close to the stage, or the guitars were so loud that there was no escaping them.
seriously, VOTE!

Offline shpy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
    • Metal Alive
« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2020, 02:51:40 PM »
Full show: https://youtu.be/rxTMGkyz5AQ. But i posted this video before posting problem here. I haven't reduced bass. Next time :)
sE8 - sE Electronics -> Olympus LS-100

Offline beatkilla

• Trade Count: (62)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2020, 05:15:50 PM »
Full show: https://youtu.be/rxTMGkyz5AQ. But i posted this video before posting problem here. I haven't reduced bass. Next time :)

Sounds fine over here.

What camera are you using to film with?

Offline opsopcopolis

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #19 on: February 24, 2020, 05:44:33 PM »
I hear some distortion on my little apple headphones, but not on any of my bigger gear. Leads me to believe that you're probably listening on speakers that can't reproduce the sub freqs that are extremely prevalent in that source. I agree with the others that a low shelf of some sort (mess around with q, and freq) would probably help.
Generalizations ahead, so proceed with caution: Unless you're EQ-ing to listen on a system with actual subs and want to be pounded to death, I'd say it's pretty rare to need to amplify anything below 100 and definitely anything below 60
Mics: Berliner CM-33, CA-14 card, CA-11 card & omni, AT-853, Sony ECM-907
Recorders: Tascam DR-60D, Tascam DR-05, Sony Hi-MD

Offline shpy

• Taperssection Regular
    • Metal Alive
« Reply #20 on: February 25, 2020, 01:27:53 AM »

Sounds fine over here.

What camera are you using to film with?

Fuji X-T3 :)

Offline shpy

• Taperssection Regular
    • Metal Alive
« Reply #21 on: February 25, 2020, 01:29:09 AM »
I hear some distortion on my little apple headphones, but not on any of my bigger gear. Leads me to believe that you're probably listening on speakers that can't reproduce the sub freqs that are extremely prevalent in that source. I agree with the others that a low shelf of some sort (mess around with q, and freq) would probably help.
Generalizations ahead, so proceed with caution: Unless you're EQ-ing to listen on a system with actual subs and want to be pounded to death, I'd say it's pretty rare to need to amplify anything below 100 and definitely anything below 60

Im using Audio Technica ATH-M40x :)

Offline shpy

• Taperssection Regular
    • Metal Alive
« Reply #22 on: March 11, 2020, 06:40:17 AM »
Maybe now someone will hear, that sound is not right? Yesterday show WITH PAD -25dB. https://drive.google.com/open?id=1jG6zQTmBi3euiePRZGvxN4W2LyNFtfP5  I dont understand whats going on :((

Best part is that my colegue recorded same concert with https://www.soundprofessionals.com/cgi-bin/gold/item/SP-CMC-4U mics using batterybox with bass rolloff connected directly to camera and sound is way better.
https://youtu.be/es6FdDxfEq8
« Last Edit: March 11, 2020, 12:15:42 PM by shpy »

Offline kuba e

• Site Supporter
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #23 on: March 11, 2020, 02:43:47 PM »
Yes, there is a distortion. It is difficult to say where is the origin of this distortion. The waveform has a 16db headroom.

I don't own these mics. I looked at the web page you provided at the first post and there is written "Power Requirements- 48v phantom power with power converter adapter". I see that the mics are terminated to the classic xlr connectors. I am not sure that the phantom adapter is inside that connector. Did the manufacturer confirm that you can connect these mics directly to the phantom power 48 V? What exact chain of gear do you use?
« Last Edit: March 11, 2020, 02:49:12 PM by kuba e »

Offline morst

• Trade Count: (2)
  • VOTE!
    • #twitterSUCKS
« Reply #24 on: March 11, 2020, 04:46:57 PM »
Yes, there is a distortion. It is difficult to say where is the origin of this distortion.
Just listened to the start of the video and the distortion sounds like it's the keyboards, or the recorded track, since they don't appear to have a keyboardist.
seriously, VOTE!

Offline shpy

• Taperssection Regular
    • Metal Alive
« Reply #25 on: March 11, 2020, 04:55:48 PM »
Yes, there is a distortion. It is difficult to say where is the origin of this distortion. The waveform has a 16db headroom.

I don't own these mics. I looked at the web page you provided at the first post and there is written "Power Requirements- 48v phantom power with power converter adapter". I see that the mics are terminated to the classic xlr connectors. I am not sure that the phantom adapter is inside that connector. Did the manufacturer confirm that you can connect these mics directly to the phantom power 48 V? What exact chain of gear do you use?

Price i paid for xlr modification was 100$ so i think adapter is inside.. i never asked but wrote to chris that i have problem. I think something with mics not right..

Offline jerryfreak

• Trade Count: (30)
  • high desert for life
« Reply #26 on: March 11, 2020, 05:50:07 PM »
PS. Event's sound man was a Girl and it was her second attempt or maybe more.. but we all felt she don't do her task well

how is that relevant? was she using her vagina instead of her ears to monitor the sound or something?
my facemask is a windscreen

People whose posts I wont see:
capnhook, daspyknows, Melanie, morst, noahbickart, Rob D., Scooter123, Sloan Simpson, Walstib62

Offline shpy

• Taperssection Regular
    • Metal Alive
« Reply #27 on: March 12, 2020, 06:02:44 AM »

Price i paid for xlr modification was 100$ so i think adapter is inside.. i never asked but wrote to Chris that i have problem. I think something with mics not right..

Im still waiting answer form Chris about power converter. But if it turns out that there was no power converter inside then i speechless. To run these mics i should use chain:
mics-> -20dB pad -> converter ->recorder. Very Long stick out from recorder. NO portable at all and expensive.

I hope so that adapter inside.

Offline kuba e

• Site Supporter
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #28 on: March 12, 2020, 06:37:31 AM »
You are right Jerryfreak.

Shpy, the last thing that occurred to me. Make sure you have freshly charged batteries in the recorder. If possible, try another recorder to make sure there is a problem with the microphones. Maybe the girl would be kind and give you two inputs with phantom 48 V and a line output from her soundboard.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2020, 06:43:07 AM by kuba e »

Offline shpy

• Taperssection Regular
    • Metal Alive
« Reply #29 on: March 12, 2020, 08:03:46 AM »
You are right Jerryfreak.

Shpy, the last thing that occurred to me. Make sure you have freshly charged batteries in the recorder. If possible, try another recorder to make sure there is a problem with the microphones. Maybe the girl would be kind and give you two inputs with phantom 48 V and a line output from her soundboard.

forget that girl. Its another event, new recording. Its not AA batteries https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcToKp7lPtq0DfFtqXuz-xjA4LKGYdKec5Riez8rkJr2DaOM5O5Ymg&s I have three original LI-50B batteries. Sad that i don't have another recorder :(

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.093 seconds with 56 queries.
© 2002-2020 Taperssection.com