Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: New Sound Devices MixPre II-series coming?  (Read 36573 times)

Offline aaronji

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: New Sound Devices MixPre II-series coming?
« Reply #405 on: May 26, 2020, 05:10:10 PM »
So it seems to be similar to the Zoom F6....no analog gain adjustable before recording.

Only in 32-bit mode. Per my e-mails with SD, posted above, there is adjustable analog gain in 24-bit mode (unlike the F6)...

Offline jerryfreak

• Trade Count: (29)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • the data guy
Re: New Sound Devices MixPre II-series coming?
« Reply #406 on: May 26, 2020, 11:24:07 PM »
any mixpre-II owners interested in having the unit tested by an independent reviewer?

I just sent my Zoom F6 to Amir who runs the audiosciencereview website

He has done measurements and review on tons of gear with his Audio Precision analyzer, but really none in this product class

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?pages/Audio_Equipment_Reviews/

I also sent him my Tascam DR100-mkiii as a control, but a better unit to compare would be a mix-pre II, to determine the implementation of,  and extent of advantage, of multiple ADCs > 32-bit float in each device.

from my experience. practically speaking, the noisefloor is so low on modern gear, its nearly impossible to discern advantages of 24 bit vs 32 bit without professional test gear. And i have yet to see any real-world demonstrations of the practical advantage of 32-bit float

That site is somewhat playback centric, he hasnt done many ADCs, but here is an example of one review/shootout

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/review-and-measurements-of-lynx-hilo-adc-part-2.3596/

while a lot of the content on that site is over my head, its pretty well-respected, with significant contributions from industry/tech experts

I feel like we would do well to utilize their resources and contribute where appropriate
« Last Edit: May 26, 2020, 11:34:34 PM by jerryfreak »
team schoeps, dpa, benchmark, and zoom mostly... subject to change without warning

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.031 seconds with 44 queries.
© 2002-2020 Taperssection.com