Gear / Technical Help > Ask The Tapers

New Taper here !

(1/8) > >>

Schr:
Hi everyone, hope this message finds everyone well in these highly unusually and worrisome times !

Apologies if this is in the wrong section, but I couldn’t find the appropriate place to introduce myself!

I am a professional sound editor and recording enthusiast. In my early days with audio technology I did a lot of studio and live recordings of bands as the person behind the desk, and eventually ended up with a career in sound which I love. I am a sound effects editor for TV and film.

I’ve done a lot of recording for work but am now in a situation where I can’t use the microphones and equipment that my company own as I work remotely (although currently on a Covid hiatus)  and so I am starting to build up my own simple rig, mainly for adding to my sound library.

I stumbled across this forum reading discussions in my search for an affordable pre amp that would suit my new Line Audio CM3, as my homemade one (which was gifted to me and I have no idea who actually made it!) outputs A LOT of noise. I can see there is a lot of audio knowledge here and I can’t wait to tap into it to improve my understanding and make better recordings. The other mics I have on hand right now are the microphone madness bsm-07.

I always have a Sony M10 in my pocket and I also own a Tascam DR100mk2, which doesn’t get much use as I don’t particularly rate it. I think the size, onboard mics and noise level of the m10 is fantastic. (I’m interested to read further into the a10 vs m10 argument).

There you have it, look forward to delving further into the site.

Cheers. 

heathen:
Welcome.  I encourage you to check out the Yard Sale.  You may find just the preamp you're looking for there.  I think you can expect to have a much better buying experience here than somewhere like ebay or Craigslist.  As long as someone has good feedback you shouldn't hesitate to jump on a good deal.

In the "Team Boards" forum you will also find a thread dedicated to the Line Audio mics.  Lots of good knowledge there, including first-hand knowledge about preamps to use with the CM3s (Voltronic in particular is someone whose advice you should give a lot of weight when it comes to the CM3s).

Feel free to ask questions!

DavidPuddy:
I would recommend the Shure FP-24 in the Yard Sale. A ton of people here (including myself) have used them to make excellent recordings and I don't think you can do better for the price.

Dsatz is selling one in the thread linked below.

https://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=194118.0

jerryfreak:

--- Quote from: DavidPuddy on September 16, 2020, 01:04:34 PM ---I would recommend the Shure FP-24 in the Yard Sale. A ton of people here (including myself) have used them to make excellent recordings and I don't think you can do better for the price.

Dsatz is selling one in the thread linked below.

https://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=194118.0

--- End quote ---

was gonna say this after reading the OP but you beat me to it. great performance for the money

Schr:
That’s awesome ! Thank you both !

The FP24 looks great and I can see it’s very popular in this board. If my set up was a cm3 > FP24 > M10 would that be sufficient for doing decent recordings ? I have seen people with longer chains than this, but my preference would be to keep it to a minimum.

I also saw someone selling an ART phantom power supply, and I was curious if this would provide a the mic with power it needed (reviews seem to say that it provides a clear sound) for a much lower price?

Cheers all  :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version