Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Shure Uniplex cardioid lavaliers  (Read 1776 times)

Offline mountainhop

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Regular
Shure Uniplex cardioid lavaliers
« on: October 23, 2022, 11:59:00 AM »
probably not a winner for our application but thread-worthy nonetheless

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ckdu_llbE5I

https://content-files.shure.com/publications/specSheet/en/ul4-spec-sheet.pdf

max SPL looks good

-42.5dB sensitivity is 7.2 mV/Pa - about as sensitive as a 4061

response "tailored for speech" doesnt look stellar- assuming thats nearfield given the application

pattern doesnt really hold as cardiod across the frequency range - converges to omni above 4K

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
Re: Shure Uniplex cardioid lavaliers
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2022, 10:13:26 AM »
Nice find. 

May work well but hard to really tell without giving them a try  I'm not overly concerned about the pattern widening at the lowest and highest end of the frequency range, which might actually be somewhat advantageous in terms of the overall sound.  May impart something of a loudness curve on the less sensitive off-axis response for a more natural diffuse response.

Generally I consider most lav mics to require EQ, in this case a low frequency compensation boost at the least if not used along with omnis (would need to hear it and play with EQing the mids and up) and consider how well the microphone responds to those kind of manipulations to be one of the primary usefulness metrics.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline WiFiJeff

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
  • I tape therefore I am.
Re: Shure Uniplex cardioid lavaliers
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2022, 10:02:40 PM »
These are MEMS mics, interesting to see them moving outside of the cellphone area.  Zylia uses 19 of them in their surround-sound sphere, they don't sound bad but I hope improvements in the tech continue to be made.  At AES last month I saw a booth for a company developing MEMS speakers (!) mostly I think for in-ear monitoring and hearing aids, but they didn't have anything to show and though I signed up for further info I have not heard form them.

Jeff

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.056 seconds with 32 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com