Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: NEW TAPER NEEDS HELP (LOTS)  (Read 4518 times)

Offline Josephine

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Needs to get out more...
NEW TAPER NEEDS HELP (LOTS)
« on: August 12, 2004, 07:50:26 PM »
I'm brand new at this.  I "recorded" my first show last night:  Chicago / Earth, Wind & Fire at the Greek in Los Angeles.  What a wonderful first experience but for one problem.  One BIG problem -- horrible distortion.

When I say I'm brand new, let me expand.  I barely know how to push the record button . . . . I need help.  I really want to learn how to tape.  I can tell there's going to be a whole lot of trial and error in my future. :)  Please, guys, share your wealth of experience and help me learn.

First let me tell you that my recording of the musical loop the venue played (pretty loud) as the musicians took the stage as well as moments where the performers spoke and portions of the performance where the music was not that "loud" sounds great. Unfortunately, this was a very loud show, lots of bass, and the majority of my recording is very distorted. 

My location was less than ideal.  I was seated slightly left of the left stacks, probably about 30 yards away.

My deck is a Sony MZ-R900 (if I get the hang of this, I will eventually upgrade).  I was using SP-SPSB-8 caroidids running into a SP-CMC-4 battery box w/ the bass roll-off which I had set at 160 hz.  I had this plugged into the line-in jack on my deck as opposed to the mic jack.

There's a high / low sensitivity selection on my deck which I had set at "high." Could that have been my mistake?  Maybe it was my bass roll-off setting which was incorrect.  A combination of both?  All of the above?  None of the above?  Did I do anything right?  It sounds as though my recording level was way too high.  Is there a way (don't laugh now) to adjust the recording levels??

Help, guys . . . . I'm dying to get out there and try it again.
Schoeps MK4 / MK4v / MK41 > actives > NBox+ > R-09HR

~   On Dime   ~
~   My Recordings   ~
~   Live Music Archive   ~

Offline Chuck

• Trade Count: (42)
  • time between the notes...
    • My recordings on the LMA
Re: NEW TAPER NEEDS HELP (LOTS)
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2004, 08:00:48 PM »
I'm not familiar with you deck, but my quess is that that switch should be set to "Low."
It's easy enought to test... Just set up your rig and record your (or your boyfriends)  home stereo once with the switch in "low" and once with the switch in "High." This is simplistic, but that's what I would do.
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.

Microphones: AKG C 480 B comb-ULS/ CK 61/ CK 63, Sennheiser MKE 2 elements,  Audix M1290-o, Micro capsule active cables w/ Naiant PFA's, Naiant MSH-1O, Naiant AKG Active cables, Church CA-11 (cardioid), (1) Nady SCM-1000 (mod)
Pre-amps: Naiant littlebox, Naiant littlekit v2.0, BM2p+ Edirol UA-5, Church STC-9000
Recorders: Sound Devices MixPre-6, iRiver iHP-120 (Rockboxed & RTC mod)

Recordings on the LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/ChuckM
Recording website & blog: http://www.timebetweenthenotes.com

Offline Mojowill

• Educated, no. Stupid, yup.
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • YOGIS R.I.P.
    • Mojowill's Music List
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2004, 09:32:44 PM »
also maybe try using the mic in on the deck. that might give you another way to control the levels.
 Good luck and keep trying!  +T
I'm a mean machine drinkin gasoline and honey you can make my motor hum.

Offline Mojowill

• Educated, no. Stupid, yup.
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • YOGIS R.I.P.
    • Mojowill's Music List
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2004, 09:34:35 PM »
Oh yeah, I agree about the High Low switch, high is more for acoustic music and speech(quiet) while  Low is more for rock & Roll(loud)
I'm a mean machine drinkin gasoline and honey you can make my motor hum.

Offline zhianosatch

• Trade Count: (1)
  • god-damned hippies!
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2004, 10:36:31 PM »
no, no, no. she did the right thing. do not use the mic in on your MD.

Offline creekfreak

• Retired from taping
  • My Son's School Bus
    • Rochester Groove
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2004, 10:41:55 PM »
Siwitch it too low..high will lead to that.
It is company policy never to imply ownership in the event of a dildo - We have to use the indefinite article; "A" dildo, never: "YOUR" dildo.
In Tyler we Trust

And isn't sanity really just a one-trick pony anyway? I mean all you get is one trick, rational thinking, but when you're good and crazy, ooh ooh ooh, the sky is the limit!

My Current Rig:2004 Subaru WRX STI, Stage 3, 360hp, 380lb-ft

Offline creekfreak

• Retired from taping
  • My Son's School Bus
    • Rochester Groove
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2004, 10:42:23 PM »
and welcome to the board, leave your wallet at the door.  ;D
It is company policy never to imply ownership in the event of a dildo - We have to use the indefinite article; "A" dildo, never: "YOUR" dildo.
In Tyler we Trust

And isn't sanity really just a one-trick pony anyway? I mean all you get is one trick, rational thinking, but when you're good and crazy, ooh ooh ooh, the sky is the limit!

My Current Rig:2004 Subaru WRX STI, Stage 3, 360hp, 380lb-ft

Offline plover

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2004, 11:40:12 PM »
My guess is that its the mics.  I tried that same set up, except with a D8, and got nothing but distorted tapes.  I went line in on my D8 with the bass roll off at the same position and I had distortion every time.  I went through an Inbox a few times and same thing.  My advice would be to ditch those mics and the bass roll off box and upgrade.  I can't speak for other people that have used that set up, but I was pretty disapointed with those mics.  I understand you get what you pay for, but you also don't expect total distortion at a really loud show.  This is just my opinion so take it with a grain of salt.

Offline leegeddy

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2004, 11:46:53 PM »
My guess is that its the mics.  I tried that same set up, except with a D8, and got nothing but distorted tapes.  I went line in on my D8 with the bass roll off at the same position and I had distortion every time.  I went through an Inbox a few times and same thing.  My advice would be to ditch those mics and the bass roll off box and upgrade.  I can't speak for other people that have used that set up, but I was pretty disapointed with those mics.  I understand you get what you pay for, but you also don't expect total distortion at a really loud show.  This is just my opinion so take it with a grain of salt.

the cmc-8 use the at933/943 caps and they're not too shabby. plenty of folks here make some fine tapes using them.  however, the sp batteryboxes do distort in loud spl settings.  you can see many threads here about running the AT mini mics on phantom, which truly brings out their potentials for such small and inexpensive mics.

ymmv,
marc
"I'm a taper, he's a taper. Wouldn't you like to be a taper too?"
"Mics? What mics? This is my hat."

Offline jkoch

• Taperssection Member
  • groovy!
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2004, 12:48:27 AM »
never use mic in, always line in. always leave it on low instead of high just to be safe. 160 is pretty high on the bass rolloff. most people probably set it around 60-90 though i'm not sure if it really does much of anything. phantom would be a good route, but if you're going to have to stealth may not be the best idea. it could also add about $200 to things, so i'd make sure you're unhappy with what you've got or really want an improvement first.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2004, 01:27:47 AM by Jon »
Schoeps MK4s > active cables > NBox+ > Edirol R-09HR

Offline mmmatt

• taping > photography
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • ... A broken angel sings from a guitar
    • LightCraft Photography
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2004, 01:41:36 PM »
Well.
I know nothing of the equiptment you are using because I don't stealth... but I do know there aren't nearly enough lady tapers in the world, so welcome and +T!!
Matt
I do think taping is the reality of the business..it is also an impetus for artists to create studio CDs that are ART, not just another recording...    Fareed Haque  2-4-2005

Canon 24-70 f2.8L, Canon 135 f2L, Canon 70-200 f4L, Canon 50 f1.8, > Canon 5D or Canon xt (digi) and Canon 1N (film)

Offline goose

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2004, 01:48:22 PM »
I would think (like DAT) that the Hi/Low setting is only relevant when using the mic in.  Should not effect a line in recording (take a grain of salt, I do not, nor ever have, run a minidisc.)

Also, regarding the bass rolloff - those settings would work for mic in recordings, but line in (see comments on Core-Sound's website) the level must be much higher, or the rolloff is nonexistant.  You must run it at 888hz or something like that in line in to be equivalent to using 88hz rolloff on mic in.

Not sure this helps anything, but that is my understanding - good luck.

taperkat

« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2004, 10:33:29 PM »
"Also, regarding the bass rolloff - those settings would work for mic in recordings, but line in (see comments on Core-Sound's website) the level must be much higher, or the rolloff is nonexistant.  You must run it at 888hz or something like that in line in to be equivalent to using 88hz rolloff on mic in."

BIG BIG BIG TRUTH. I've run the same Battery Box now for 4 years and I eventually modded mine more effectively. I've got mine at 888 and never touch it. It's *definitely* that. (I ran Sharp MD-MS722 -> SPSB-2 -> SP-BMC-1 [but reverse that] for 3+ years.)

and never use mic in, it will distort beyond all that is good and holy.

I had your sony deck too, so if you have questions feel free to pm me and I'll try to help!

Offline Cooker

• Local Crew
« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2004, 11:18:10 PM »
Just set up your rig and record your (or your boyfriends)  home stereo once

booo on the boyfriend comment calico!

Offline Josephine

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2004, 01:26:55 AM »
First let me say thank you for all your help and kind "welcomes" to the board.   It's so great how you all are willing to help a stranger.  I am certain I will have new (and many) questions as time goes on.

Next time out, I'm going to have my deck set to "low" sensitivity, change the battery box settings to 888hz and give it a whirl.  Perhaps I will look more into phantom power for my mics.  I just looked at my battery box again (didn't remember an 888hz setting) and come to find I had the 160hz setting I thought I had used ass-backwards.  In other words, instead of flipping the 1 and 2 switch to open, I had the 3 and 4 switches open.  Can they make that print any smaller? lol  Anyway, like I said, I imagine there's going to be a whole lot of trial and error in my future. :)

I'm going to a couple of Thorogood concerts the end of this month but am not going to tape -- I'll be having way too much fun in the front row.  Right now, it looks like my next concert will be B.B. King / Dr. John in September at the Hollywood Bowl.  I'll be sitting down in the Garden section, just short of kissing the right stacks.  I welcome more advice and pointers.

This "newbie" sends her sincerest thanks to you all.

Schoeps MK4 / MK4v / MK41 > actives > NBox+ > R-09HR

~   On Dime   ~
~   My Recordings   ~
~   Live Music Archive   ~

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.078 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com