Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: so what does the 722 sound like?  (Read 50273 times)

Offline Lil Kim Jong-Il

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • large Marge sent me
Re: so what does the 722 sound like?
« Reply #150 on: March 04, 2005, 11:00:50 AM »
Impacted is a more appropriate term for the effect on the sample.  But I think it hosed the validity of the test.  Plus, I just like using the word hosed.  ;)

Read this message from that thread http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=25769.msg322641#msg322641 and he mentions conversion to 44.1k.  I think it was mentioned elsewhere, maybe in a PM, I can't recall where.

The first rule of amateur neurosurgery club is .... I forget.

Offline Kevin Straker

• The Shogun of Easley
  • Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #151 on: March 04, 2005, 11:17:49 AM »
Can someone please go ahead and say which is which. I'll be listening to the samples shortly. thanks-Kevin
People on ludes should not drive...
J. Spicoli

mk4,mk21>kc5>cmc6>V3>SD722

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #152 on: March 04, 2005, 11:20:42 AM »
Can someone please go ahead and say which is which. I'll be listening to the samples shortly. thanks-Kevin

The whole point of the comp is to listen to the samples without knowing which source is which.  I'm sure Scott will contact you about the source mapping once you provide some feedback.   :)
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) > Roland R-05

Offline Kevin Straker

• The Shogun of Easley
  • Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #153 on: March 04, 2005, 11:37:23 AM »

The whole point of the comp is to listen to the samples without knowing which source is which.  I'm sure Scott will contact you about the source mapping once you provide some feedback.   :)

Yeah, I know, but I'm still overly curious. I trust the assessment of the golden ears on this board and I'd like to know the results.  I dl'd jim pollock's garaj mahal show, but have not heard a direct comparison. To me it sounded a little grainy and veiled compared to my own mk4>V3 garaj stage tapes. Jimbo was running mk4>744t. Boswell is doing a comparison at the Robert Walter show in Asheville tonight. Should be interesting. Anyways , I'll give the samples a listen over lunch and report back.
People on ludes should not drive...
J. Spicoli

mk4,mk21>kc5>cmc6>V3>SD722

Offline wbrisette

• Trade Count: (2)
    • Homepage
« Reply #154 on: March 04, 2005, 02:42:19 PM »
Yeah, I know, but I'm still overly curious. I trust the assessment of the golden ears on this board and I'd like to know the results.

People are strange. I've NEVER heard back from a couple people that I shipped a comparison test off to. While I don't admit to having golden ears, I was amazed at how shy folks are about what they can and can't hear. Almost as if I was going to chastise them for picking the "wrong" one.

I also would say based on my the results of the comp. I sent out I'm not convinced people really can subtle differences... I think they tend to be influenced by outside factors more than the actual data. This is one of the reasons it is SO hard to do fair evaluations of audio and audio equipment. By the time you reach the higher end of the equipment spectrum the differences sometimes are so subtle that few if anybody can pick out the differences consistently in blind tests.

Now, what does this have to do with you? Don't be afraid to try it yourself first. Then pick out what you like and don't like about each one. Don't tell anybody then find out which is which. Just because you pick brand x over brand y doesn't mean you can't hear, or that your ears aren't as golden as the next person, it just means your ears are "tuned" differently and you like different stuff...

As Apple use to say... Think Different. ;-)

Wayne
Mics: Earthworks SR-77 (MP), QTC-1 (MP)

Editing: QSC RMX2450, MOTU 2408 MK3, Earthworks Sigma 6.2

Offline nic

• Big In Japan
  • Trade Count: (1)
    • half dead batteries
« Reply #155 on: March 04, 2005, 02:59:09 PM »
Just because you pick brand x over brand y doesn't mean you can't hear, or that your ears aren't as golden as the next person, it just means your ears are "tuned" differently and you like different stuff...

Wayne

exactly. I dont like the V3 because I feel the AD gives it almost a harsh/brittle sound, but most people swear by the V3...to each his/her own.

the water's clean and innocent

Offline dmonterisi

• Taper Emeritus
  • Site Supporter
  • Stomach Full of Regret
« Reply #156 on: March 04, 2005, 03:02:55 PM »

I also would say based on my the results of the comp. I sent out I'm not convinced people really can subtle differences... I think they tend to be influenced by outside factors more than the actual data. This is one of the reasons it is SO hard to do fair evaluations of audio and audio equipment. By the time you reach the higher end of the equipment spectrum the differences sometimes are so subtle that few if anybody can pick out the differences consistently in blind tests.

well, just as long as we've got you around to tell us what subtle differences we're mssing, we're all set!!!

marc0789

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #157 on: March 04, 2005, 05:36:41 PM »
Just because you pick brand x over brand y doesn't mean you can't hear, or that your ears aren't as golden as the next person, it just means your ears are "tuned" differently and you like different stuff...

Wayne

exactly. I dont like the V3 because I feel the AD gives it almost a harsh/brittle sound, but most people swear by the V3...to each his/her own.

ditto. the a/d fucks up a perfectly good v2. ;)

Offline John Kelly

• Been a while...
    • The Jokell
« Reply #158 on: March 05, 2005, 03:43:18 PM »
Btw, any possibility that these Carbon Leaf tapes will hit the archive?  ;)
Sennheiser MKH8040st > SD 702
XBL/PSN/Steam ID: thejokell

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #159 on: March 05, 2005, 04:30:25 PM »
Btw, any possibility that these Carbon Leaf tapes will hit the archive? ;)

mine will get up there in the next day or so

Offline John Kelly

• Been a while...
    • The Jokell
« Reply #160 on: March 05, 2005, 04:35:30 PM »
Btw, any possibility that these Carbon Leaf tapes will hit the archive? ;)

mine will get up there in the next day or so

Rock, thanks. :)
Sennheiser MKH8040st > SD 702
XBL/PSN/Steam ID: thejokell

Offline MattD

• Taper Emeritus
« Reply #161 on: March 05, 2005, 06:37:40 PM »
The meters on this box are a little annoying to get used to, as they're counterintuitive. I also don't like that there's more than one red. I'd love it if a firmware  upgrade were to reprogram the meters to give more resolution in the top two bits than in the -50 through -20 range.
Out of the game … for now?

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #162 on: March 06, 2005, 06:45:38 PM »
The meters on this box are a little annoying to get used to, as they're counterintuitive. I also don't like that there's more than one red. I'd love it if a firmware upgrade were to reprogram the meters to give more resolution in the top two bits than in the -50 through -20 range.

i noticed that and think thats a tiny drawback too
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline wboswell

• Don't call what you're wearing an outfit
    • Trey Woodruff on guitar
« Reply #163 on: March 07, 2005, 10:07:25 AM »
If anyone is interested, I've got torrent going from Friday night where I ran analog out of the V3 into the 722, from Gordon's "g-spot" location at the Stella in Asheville.  Its just about as ideal a location as you could ask for when you suspend the mics about 10' up, 15' back from the monitors.  I taped the opener using the V3 for both pre and a/d, but I've yet to give it a critical listen to compare the two sources, though I did listen at moderate levels early Saturday morning.  Initial impression was that the V3's a/d was more in your face, while the 722's a/d was more laid back, but more musical.  I should have time this evening to firm up my opinion...

http://bt.etree.org/details.php?id=12136

marc0789

« Reply #164 on: March 07, 2005, 12:15:54 PM »
The meters on this box are a little annoying to get used to, as they're counterintuitive. I also don't like that there's more than one red. I'd love it if a firmware  upgrade were to reprogram the meters to give more resolution in the top two bits than in the -50 through -20 range.

metering by apogee. ;)

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.099 seconds with 38 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com