Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: New M-Audio Recorder  (Read 65785 times)

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
Re: New M-Audio Recorder
« Reply #105 on: April 28, 2005, 07:18:47 PM »
oh, and the v3 rules yer face

Damn straight! ;)

what bean meant to say was that the V2 > AD2K rules your face ;D

;)

damnit, let me hear that combo jef :)
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline Jammin72

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #106 on: April 28, 2005, 07:38:29 PM »
however, the m-audio recorder appeals to me a lot more.  1 - its supposedly $2k cheaper, thats $2k i can be spending on something else and 2 - its a helluva lot smaller.  Not saying the 722 isn't stealthable, but smaller is better, even when you're trying to fit everything in your gear bag in a non stealth situation.

i dunno, so far the m-audio recorder appeals to me more than the 722 and its blinky lights.

I'm not a stealth guy. In fact, if a band tells me I can't record them, I consider it their loss, not mine. But then I've had really good luck recording bands that typically don't allow recording. But, the stealth factor never plays into my decision. I can see how it might for some I suppose.

The M-Audio Recorder is getting a lot of buzz. If they can deliver, this will definitely be one hot box. The 744T & 722 have their place and for some it's the holy grail they have been searching for. My demands were even greater than these two boxes could deliver, thus I went with the Zaxcom Deva IV. However, not everybody can afford 10K for a recording device (even I had a really hard time justifying it to myself... I love the box and I'll never have to buy another box again, but 10K is a lot of change to be tossing down), and it's definitely not something that lends itself to stealth situations.

As the R1, R4, and M-audio recorders start hitting the street in full force, I think we're going to start seeing some great things from the taping community. As it is, shows are now suddenly appearing within hours of the show instead of weeks or months. There will be other benefits too, and most of them will be positives.

But you're right about one thing, one size doesn't fit all when it comes to recording.

Wayne

The Zaxcom and Nagra V are all pieces of equipment that we'd love to have in our bag of tricks!  For those that have them  RIGHT ON!

I'm curiuos to hear the 722 more extensively.  I like the format, the design, the look etc...  One firmware glitch is acceptable.  I am worried as an all in one solution simply because the Sound Devices portable preamps in my OPINION left a lot to be desired.  They didn't do anything nasty to the signal but did seem to sound a bit flat and hard at the end of the day.  I hope that improvements went into that part of the box as well as just breaking new ground in the recorder territory.

The thing about the new M-Audio Box is that we're simply dealing with an encoder here... everyone is still able to mate it up with the front end of thier choice which gives the concept a lot of flexibility.  I wouldn't want to lay out serious cash on the recorder only to feel like I wanted to still run an external pre or converter in front of it.  Anyone know offhand some recordings made with the 722 either X/Y or ORTF?

The R-4 is a great design but I would hold out till a mod is developed for it before I would be willing to give up my Pre.  The Modified FR-2's sound fantastic!  The space inside those boxes allowed for a good bit of tweaking but by the time I add up the cost for the recorder plus enough CF space to make it worth while it's back over my meager earnings (C'mon Gradutation!!).

I think that it's great that we're seeing such a wide variety of options begin to develop, gone are the days of D8, DA-P1, or HHb being the choices from which to choose.
Yes, but what do you HEAR?

Offline F.O.Bean

• Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #107 on: April 28, 2005, 08:18:40 PM »
however, the m-audio recorder appeals to me a lot more. 1 - its supposedly $2k cheaper, thats $2k i can be spending on something else and 2 - its a helluva lot smaller. Not saying the 722 isn't stealthable, but smaller is better, even when you're trying to fit everything in your gear bag in a non stealth situation.

i dunno, so far the m-audio recorder appeals to me more than the 722 and its blinky lights.

I'm not a stealth guy. In fact, if a band tells me I can't record them, I consider it their loss, not mine. But then I've had really good luck recording bands that typically don't allow recording. But, the stealth factor never plays into my decision. I can see how it might for some I suppose.

The M-Audio Recorder is getting a lot of buzz. If they can deliver, this will definitely be one hot box. The 744T & 722 have their place and for some it's the holy grail they have been searching for. My demands were even greater than these two boxes could deliver, thus I went with the Zaxcom Deva IV. However, not everybody can afford 10K for a recording device (even I had a really hard time justifying it to myself... I love the box and I'll never have to buy another box again, but 10K is a lot of change to be tossing down), and it's definitely not something that lends itself to stealth situations.

As the R1, R4, and M-audio recorders start hitting the street in full force, I think we're going to start seeing some great things from the taping community. As it is, shows are now suddenly appearing within hours of the show instead of weeks or months. There will be other benefits too, and most of them will be positives.

But you're right about one thing, one size doesn't fit all when it comes to recording.

Wayne

The Zaxcom and Nagra V are all pieces of equipment that we'd love to have in our bag of tricks! For those that have them RIGHT ON!

I'm curiuos to hear the 722 more extensively. I like the format, the design, the look etc... One firmware glitch is acceptable. I am worried as an all in one solution simply because the Sound Devices portable preamps in my OPINION left a lot to be desired. They didn't do anything nasty to the signal but did seem to sound a bit flat and hard at the end of the day. I hope that improvements went into that part of the box as well as just breaking new ground in the recorder territory.

The thing about the new M-Audio Box is that we're simply dealing with an encoder here... everyone is still able to mate it up with the front end of thier choice which gives the concept a lot of flexibility. I wouldn't want to lay out serious cash on the recorder only to feel like I wanted to still run an external pre or converter in front of it. Anyone know offhand some recordings made with the 722 either X/Y or ORTF?

The R-4 is a great design but I would hold out till a mod is developed for it before I would be willing to give up my Pre. The Modified FR-2's sound fantastic! The space inside those boxes allowed for a good bit of tweaking but by the time I add up the cost for the recorder plus enough CF space to make it worth while it's back over my meager earnings (C'mon Gradutation!!).

I think that it's great that we're seeing such a wide variety of options begin to develop, gone are the days of D8, DA-P1, or HHb being the choices from which to choose.

great post, +T

Offline silentmark

• Shine with or without cherries ?
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • Boat, cucumber, wire ...
« Reply #108 on: April 29, 2005, 10:33:35 AM »
wow, i couldnt sleep so i popped on here and what do i find, the holy grail ive been waiting for.  with CF
prices coming down, it looks like ill be able to afford a couple of 4GB cards and this sucker after i get
my graduation money.  i just sent an email to frank to put me up on the waiting list, cant wait to get some
more details on this thing.
 :D ;D

Yeah I am on the waiting list too, #4 !
Dissent is the highest form of patriotism. - Howard Zinn, not Thomas Jefferson ...

Mics: Neumann AK50/AK40/AK30/AK20(1 for M/S), AKG568eb's (gathering dust)
Decks: R-44 (OCM), Fostex FR2LE (OWM), Microtacker (semi-retired), D8 (retired), D7 (retired)
Pre-amps: Apogee Minime (semi-retired), Sonosax SX-M2 (semi-retired), Oade mod SBM-1 (retired)
Cables: LC3 actives (older lemo style x2), Audio Magic Hyper Conductor interconnects

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J3qrWOOposQ

Offline Ed.

• your popsicle's melting
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • FJ Baby!
« Reply #109 on: April 29, 2005, 12:16:07 PM »
will the m-audio recorder be able to be a pre/ad as well as just a recorder right?

i think one thing that kinda makes me less interested in the 722, is the fact that i just got a v3 like 6 months ago, and i wouldn't want to give that up for a 722.  it'll be nice to be able to run that in front of the m-audio (or some other bit accurate 24/96 recorder) for open taping, and then still have a recorder for stealth where i don't need the v3 neccessarily and can live with the recorders built in pre/ad.

Because nothing says "I have lots of money and am sort of confused as to how to spend it" like Bose.

Offline C.Clark

• Rediscovering the Magic!
  • Trade Count: (1)
    • Too Many Shows!
« Reply #110 on: April 30, 2005, 03:30:39 PM »
It would be great if this device really can take a 24/96Khz stream..

In order to support that volume of data (4GB/hour), the ability to write to a USB storage device would be sweet. That would allow the use of 2.5" or 3.5" drives as you prefer. FAT32 storage, whatever.

Of course, it would also be nice to have the ability to interface as a 'USB sound card'. So you could stream (and monitor) the recording to the laptop like a sound card and maybe also simultaneously store it on the device (allowing two copies).

lets just keep our fingers crossed on that one, but im leaning towards doubting that will happen, lets hope im wrong
Current Rig:
Mics: Neumann SKM184, Neumann SKM185, AKG C414 XLS/ST, DPA ST2015
Recorder: SD MixPre-6ii, SD MixPre-10ii
Extras: SD MixPre-D, SD USBPre2, Sony TCD-D8
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Former Rigs:
ADK TL --> Segue Dogstars --> SD 722
AT4051a --> Segue Dogstars --> MP-2 --> SD 722
AT4051a --> V2 --> MiniMe --> VxPocket V2 --> Laptop
AT4051a --> V2 --> MiniMe --> Sony TCD-D100
AT4051a --> V2 --> Mod SBM-1 --> Sony TCD-D100
AT4051a --> MP-2 --> AD1000 --> Sony TCD-D100
AKGC1000s --> Denecke PS/2 --> Denecke AD-20 --> Sony MiniDisc
http://db.etree.org/cpclar

Offline F.O.Bean

• Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #111 on: April 30, 2005, 04:16:54 PM »
It would be great if this device really can take a 24/96Khz stream..

In order to support that volume of data (4GB/hour), the ability to write to a USB storage device would be sweet. That would allow the use of 2.5" or 3.5" drives as you prefer. FAT32 storage, whatever.

Of course, it would also be nice to have the ability to interface as a 'USB sound card'. So you could stream (and monitor) the recording to the laptop like a sound card and maybe also simultaneously store it on the device (allowing two copies).

lets just keep our fingers crossed on that one, but im leaning towards doubting that will happen, lets hope im wrong

so isnt 24/48 2GB an hour ??? that would give you 2 straight hours on one card and 24/48 would be sufficient enuf for me :)

hopefully one comes out w/a nice size HD and is just a straight recorder tho

Offline C.Clark

• Rediscovering the Magic!
    • Too Many Shows!
« Reply #112 on: April 30, 2005, 10:59:23 PM »
in my experience in the 24bit realm bean, 24/96 is 2gb an hour and 24/48 is about 2gb for 2 hours, so you can theoritcally get a 4 hour show on a 4 gb compact flash card, you'd probably need two 4gb cards to do a complete show at 24/96, which is fine with me, i cant wait til this little recorder gets out on the market, ill test it for sure
Current Rig:
Mics: Neumann SKM184, Neumann SKM185, AKG C414 XLS/ST, DPA ST2015
Recorder: SD MixPre-6ii, SD MixPre-10ii
Extras: SD MixPre-D, SD USBPre2, Sony TCD-D8
Former Rigs:
ADK TL --> Segue Dogstars --> SD 722
AT4051a --> Segue Dogstars --> MP-2 --> SD 722
AT4051a --> V2 --> MiniMe --> VxPocket V2 --> Laptop
AT4051a --> V2 --> MiniMe --> Sony TCD-D100
AT4051a --> V2 --> Mod SBM-1 --> Sony TCD-D100
AT4051a --> MP-2 --> AD1000 --> Sony TCD-D100
AKGC1000s --> Denecke PS/2 --> Denecke AD-20 --> Sony MiniDisc
http://db.etree.org/cpclar

Offline creekfreak

• Retired from taping
  • My Son's School Bus
    • Rochester Groove
« Reply #113 on: April 30, 2005, 11:25:53 PM »
just caught this thread...damn, I hope this little box is all it can be....Perfect to run with my V3....killer...
It is company policy never to imply ownership in the event of a dildo - We have to use the indefinite article; "A" dildo, never: "YOUR" dildo.
In Tyler we Trust

And isn't sanity really just a one-trick pony anyway? I mean all you get is one trick, rational thinking, but when you're good and crazy, ooh ooh ooh, the sky is the limit!

My Current Rig:2004 Subaru WRX STI, Stage 3, 360hp, 380lb-ft

Offline Simp-Dawg

• Bad Little Dawggie
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Daddy needs a drink!
    • Colorado Tapers
« Reply #114 on: May 01, 2005, 01:52:58 AM »
yeah, i need more info on this thing!!!
CO Crüe Benchwarmer

Playback: Denon DVD-2910 > Denon AVR-3806 > Segue Doghouse Speaker Cable > B&W DM-610i / Klipsch RW-10 Subwoofer

Offline wbrisette

• Trade Count: (2)
    • Homepage
« Reply #115 on: May 02, 2005, 09:33:04 AM »
wayne, we all cant afford 8k recorders :P i mean, come on, this IS a hobby ;)

I think I mentioned that in my post :P

I realize that. Heck, I wasn't even planning on spending 10K, but when the Deva II didn't work for me (couldn't provide 40 mA of power for the mics), the best option was to spend the extra money and get a box that could give me that.

Anyhow, it's obvious you hold some grudge against SD and/or the 722/744T. Not sure why, because they are sold pieces of gear that sound great from what I've heard so far. But, far be it to me to tell you what you should or shouldn't want.

Wayne
Mics: Earthworks SR-77 (MP), QTC-1 (MP)

Editing: QSC RMX2450, MOTU 2408 MK3, Earthworks Sigma 6.2

Offline F.O.Bean

• Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #116 on: May 02, 2005, 07:16:39 PM »
wayne, we all cant afford 8k recorders :P i mean, come on, this IS a hobby ;)

I think I mentioned that in my post :P

I realize that. Heck, I wasn't even planning on spending 10K, but when the Deva II didn't work for me (couldn't provide 40 mA of power for the mics), the best option was to spend the extra money and get a box that could give me that.

Anyhow, it's obvious you hold some grudge against SD and/or the 722/744T. Not sure why, because they are sold pieces of gear that sound great from what I've heard so far. But, far be it to me to tell you what you should or shouldn't want.

Wayne

holy crap, 40ma of power ;D

i have no grudge againt SD or any other company,i ujyst come from beliefs that something that expensive should have worked a bitbetter out of the box, hell, wehn things swell over and all ofthe bugs are fixed, i may grab one if its a nice match w/ the 480's :)

Offline John Kelly

• Been a while...
    • The Jokell
« Reply #117 on: May 02, 2005, 07:28:12 PM »
holy crap, 40ma of power

i have no grudge againt SD or any other company,i ujyst come from beliefs that something that expensive should have worked a bitbetter out of the box, hell, wehn things swell over and all ofthe bugs are fixed, i may grab one if its a nice match w/ the 480's

Gotta agree with Bean here.  Early adopters of the very expensive SD boxes are basically paying to be beta testers.  I know SD took a while to get it out and people were getting impatient, but I still think they released it too early.  That said, apparently the latest firmware seems to be pretty good.

But outside of taping, where would a situation like this be acceptable?  If you were to buy the first brand new model of a Mercedes and it would randomly turn off the engine as you were going down the road, would you say "oh they're still working the kinks out?"  ;)

Now at $400, I'll happily be a beta tester for this M-Audio device.  At that price point I don't have to sell the rest of my gear to afford it, so I can run my JB3 as a backup unlike people who had to sell everything to invest in the SD boxes.
Sennheiser MKH8040st > SD 702
XBL/PSN/Steam ID: thejokell

Offline MattD

• Taper Emeritus
« Reply #118 on: May 02, 2005, 07:44:52 PM »
Or people who are still trying to sell everything ...
Out of the game … for now?

Offline John Kelly

• Been a while...
    • The Jokell
« Reply #119 on: May 02, 2005, 07:47:42 PM »
Or people who are still trying to sell everything ...

;D
Sennheiser MKH8040st > SD 702
XBL/PSN/Steam ID: thejokell

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.227 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com