Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Uhhhhh...WTF is this? Hiss / static pulses  (Read 4835 times)

Offline BJ

• been around the world and found that only stupid people are breeding the cretins cloning and feeding
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • They're baaack! ??
Re: Uhhhhh...WTF is this? Hiss / static pulses
« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2005, 10:32:36 AM »
So I recorded my father's a cappella group again this past weekend.  Had a minor problem with my AKG C414B-ULS (cardioid, XY90º) > Transparent-PLUS UA5 > JB3 recording.  (BTW, I had the T+ UA5 gain almost completely cranked and *damn* but it's quiet - very little self noise (just listen to the sample besides what I mention next)).  Anyway...there are three hiss/static spikes in the middle of the recording, right channel only, and I can't for the life of me figure out what they are.  Any ideas?  I've attached an MP3 and here's the spectral view:  [fat finger edits]

A new pair of AKG C414's: $2500

T-modded UA-5 from Oade: $700

Naming a clip of a recording of your father's church's a cappella group recorded with said gear wtf.mp3... Priceless  :P

;D ;D  a round of +t's for that one!
Auditory
Intake  waves -> 0/1's -> waves
it's magic 

Offline Genghis Cougar Mellen Khan

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Tin Can > Wax String > Dictaphone
Re: Uhhhhh...WTF is this? Hiss / static pulses
« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2005, 10:49:29 AM »
FWIW, I'm running digi-in and this is definitely different than the noise encountered running analog-in to the JB3.  As for age of the unit, this was the inaugural run for the JB3 in question - bought it a while (a year?) ago as a backup, but broke it out to run two simultaneous sets of gear this past weekend.  And yeah, it's possible I jostled the gear in the timeframe during which the noise occurs.  My immediate reaction was "someone's cell phone" or RF interference, but that wouldn't explain the pattern of the noise nor only occuring in a single channel on a single deck.  I don't think we're going to resolve this one anytime soon, so I'll just have to monitor my gear performance closely for a while to see if I can nail anything down.  All - thanks for the discussion and input, I'll drop a line if I encounter the problem again.

I'd say it's entirely possible that the noise was induced, because it's one channel could have been how one particular cable was coiled, where it was etc. I did car stereo installs for quite some years, and tel-com work now, you'd be suprised how many factors can contribute to induction on a conductor. Who knows, it might even be something simple that occured in the UA-5 itself or the JB3 capturing and writing the dig signal.  ???

Maybe some day we'll nail it down, but I'm guessing you'd be just as happy if it was just a one time anomaly.  :)
Maybe a couple of small scratches, but thats because these mics are chick magnets.
Girls always up on Andy tryin to grab these mics, the scratches are from their wedding rings.

CMC641 / DPA4022 / DPA4062>mod MPS6030
V3 / PMD671 / field ready DV-RA1000 / Oade W-mod PMD661 / PCM-M10

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.031 seconds with 25 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com