Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: How to Mic a Piano?  (Read 6444 times)

Offline grider

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • always give more than you take
How to Mic a Piano?
« on: May 22, 2005, 04:40:45 PM »
can anyone steer me to some info on mic'ing a grand piano for recording purposes, or if its simple just explain it to me, I have a modest offer to make a paid recording for an area pianist, just him and his piano, thanks, Grider

Offline Kyle

• Made it back alive!
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Still loves his mic pre's
Re: How to Mic a Piano?
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2005, 06:20:03 PM »
is it an upright or a grand? A mic'ed an upright recently - there wasn't much room inside so I took two sony ecm (i do not remember the exact model) lav mics (cardioids) clipped them on a piece of cardboard (dina pickup), taped that to the inside of the lid,  so the mics pointed down, and ran the cables to my mixer. Worked great! A stereo pair should work well on a grand - google search for best placement - also, my friend used to put pzm mics on uprights and grands with good results - good luck  :)
Schoeps CMC6/MK4  //  Nakamichi CM-300/CP-1/CP-2
E.A.A. PSP-2   // Grace Design Lunatec V2
Sonic AD2K+ 
Tascam HD-P2 (Oade BCM)  //  Sony TC-D5 PROII

Duncan - 12/84 > 8/8/05 - Miss you everyday

Offline Tim

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2005, 06:52:15 PM »
there was just a thread on this within the last 4-6 weeks, seemed like some of the engineers chimed in with really good advice... definitely worth a search
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

Offline Brian

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2005, 07:05:41 PM »
there was just a thread on this within the last 4-6 weeks, seemed like some of the engineers chimed in with really good advice... definitely worth a search

yep.....and i even searched for you too :)

http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=42055.0

I also recently(last week) had great success with critically position cardioids over certain sound holes.  used two different kind of microphones as well.  we chose this because we were at "half-stick" with a blanket over it to reduce leakeage as much as possible. when you have a grand piano at "full-stick" it's split omnis or ORTF cardioids all the way.

edit: this config really brought the piano upfront but still had a very musical and warm sound.  It also really cut down on the hammer noise and pedal buldges.  It's going to be really easy for me to mix this piano for the jazz record I'm working on.  gotta love neumann's ;D

good luck! 
« Last Edit: May 22, 2005, 07:13:02 PM by STL-Taper »

Offline johnw

• Trade Count: (11)
    • My cd List
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2005, 07:21:16 PM »
I recorded a solo grand pano back in the fall by clamping ORTF right in the middle of the strings about 12" above the strings. Came out beautifully, but definitely picked up some pedal noise.
Schoeps MK41 & MK4V  |  Schoeps CMC6, Schoeps KCY, AKI/2C, PFA, Nbox Cable/PFA  |  Grace V2, Nbox Platinum  |  SD744T, SD MixPre 6, Sony PCM M10

Canon 16-35mm/2.8L mkii, 24-70mm/2.8L, 70-200mm/2.8L IS, 50mm/1.8 mkii, 135mm/2L, 100mm/2.8L IS, Sigma 35mm/1.4 A  |  Canon 5D mk4

Offline grider

« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2005, 10:12:49 AM »
very useful advice gentlemen, thanks, it will be a nice grand piano and nothing else; the pianist is the director of the music department of a large university; met him following a jazz gig; I asked him after the show if he would like copies of the show, we began talking, one thing led to another and he made the offer to pay me to record, sweet

Offline Brian

« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2005, 11:08:56 AM »
Is there really a right way to do this crap?? :screams:

I just finished recording a 45 minute piano and organ concerto, twice in the last two days. The same room, same players.

Yesterday, I did the typical omnis about 5' back from the open lid, with baffled omnis.
Result: master pianist crinkles nose, and says too much piano overpowering the organ.
Its not a bad recording, maybe slightly bright.
I had zero sound check, as they were late, and we had an hour to record a 45 minute concerto.

Today,.... because it was live, and there was an orchestra and choir for other songs, I had to go out into the audience, in front of first row, roughly stagelip.
Because of the organs interconnects limitations to its sound source, the organ was stage right and the piano stage left. This put the backside of the piano lid top facing the audience, and the open box/lid facing into the choir sound dome, opposite of the audience.
Bottomline,....
I was set up outside the stage, and running 17cm 70º and about 10' from the back/top of the lid of the piano, totally opposite of where I should have ideally been.
Result,... Master pianist loved the sound, because it wasn't as sharp in the upper registers, and produced a more mellow tone.

??? wtf?
Maybe we should be like George Costanza, and do everything exactly opposite of what the book says we should do?
This is the second time that I've recorded from the wrong side of a piano, and had the artist really like it,.....
??? wtf?

fat fingers edit

it's possible your DPA's are too transparant for that particular piano that close up.  in your second position you were able to get more sound reflected from the lid and stage which yielded a warmer tone and most likely a better balance of organ and piano.  I've always loved the neumann sound on piano.  Some engineers swear by the schoeps mk4's, although I haven't had the chance to use mine yet.

and in answer to your first question...yes....there are right ways to miking a piano.  It's been my experience, though, that there are more wrong ways ;).  I was clueless on miking a piano and getting a good sound until I picked the brain of one of my teachers about different situations.  Now i'm finally getting more confident when miking a piano.  Such a beautiful instrument to record.  The great grand pianos have such range!

Offline Brian

« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2005, 01:34:51 PM »
every time I hit record i think to myself, "man I hope i don't blow it!" ;D

that's the best part about recording.  you are always learning form experience.

I can only imagine trying to pick up a good balance of a huge church organ and and grand piano is difficult to say the least.

Offline Brian

« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2005, 02:01:03 PM »
well, you are a moderator.....it's ok ;) :P

thanks for the pictures.....it helps give me perspective.

anyways....ooofffff.....long, narrow, and tile floors :-X  those are adverse conditions.  at least the performers are happy with the concert recording....cause that's what mattered right?

was that the piano they used?  I assumed it was a grand.

Offline Brian

« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2005, 02:28:20 PM »
very cool....ok ......[/hijack] :)

Offline Tim

« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2005, 06:43:57 PM »
very useful advice gentlemen, thanks, it will be a nice grand piano and nothing else; the pianist is the director of the music department of a large university; met him following a jazz gig; I asked him after the show if he would like copies of the show, we began talking, one thing led to another and he made the offer to pay me to record, sweet

that university wouldn't happen to be IU would it?
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

Offline Brian

« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2005, 06:59:04 PM »
derps....so much for this being in the archive :D

way to go m0k3....it's all your fault :P

Offline grider

« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2005, 07:02:11 PM »

no, Indiana Unversity has a kick ass music school and I'm not "that" good of a taper, believe me

Offline Tim

« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2005, 07:06:17 PM »
though they were sort of the Mayberry version of a requiem choir,.

did they do it barbershop style or bluegrass? ;)

Offline Tim

« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2005, 07:06:50 PM »

no, Indiana Unversity has a kick ass music school and I'm not "that" good of a taper, believe me

I know they have some pretty impressive people in that department, just curious

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.289 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com