Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: M-Audio MicroTracker details **PART II**  (Read 86485 times)

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
Re: M-Audio Flash Tracker details **PART II**
« Reply #90 on: August 01, 2005, 07:28:54 PM »
Hmm. Ok. The reason I ask is, if this thing gets 3 hours with phantom on, that'll be cutting it close for longer shows. If it's possible to charge and record at the same time, then it's not a problem, but if hooking something up via USB will make the unit wonk out, then that's not good. I forgot the JB3 had the separate wall wart, so it's anybody's guess.

I'd put money on being able to record and have it externally powered at the same time. Maybe not *charge* - but at least draw power over the USB for operation.

You can power the unit via usb while it is recording.

The only issue is that you won't be able to use a beefy connector (ie locking barrel type) for your s/pdif cable. Not really a big deal at all, but my zoalla silverline was not an option, even with the locking sleeve off.

audio magic makes locking rca style coax cables, thats what i'll be investing in ;D
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline wboswell

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Don't call what you're wearing an outfit
    • Trey Woodruff on guitar
« Reply #91 on: August 01, 2005, 07:50:08 PM »
Hmm. Ok. The reason I ask is, if this thing gets 3 hours with phantom on, that'll be cutting it close for longer shows. If it's possible to charge and record at the same time, then it's not a problem, but if hooking something up via USB will make the unit wonk out, then that's not good. I forgot the JB3 had the separate wall wart, so it's anybody's guess.

I'd put money on being able to record and have it externally powered at the same time. Maybe not *charge* - but at least draw power over the USB for operation.

The only issue is that you won't be able to use a beefy connector (ie locking barrel type) for your s/pdif cable. Not really a big deal at all, but my zoalla silverline was not an option, even with the locking sleeve off.

audio magic makes locking rca style coax cables, thats what i'll be investing in ;D

Maybe I didn't make myself clear in my previous post... You will NOT be able to use a beefy connector with a locking connector for your s/pdif connection.  There is not enough room, at least on the unit I held.  You'll want to use something like an apogee wyed-eye with a really thin barrel.  We used an generic cable like the one that is provided when you buy a tv or vcr..  you know, the super cheap freebie.

Offline F.O.Bean

• Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #92 on: August 01, 2005, 08:04:10 PM »

Maybe I didn't make myself clear in my previous post... You will NOT be able to use a beefy connector with a locking connector for your s/pdif connection. There is not enough room, at least on the unit I held. You'll want to use something like an apogee wyed-eye with a really thin barrel. We used an generic cable like the one that is provided when you buy a tv or vcr.. you know, the super cheap freebie.

oh ok, thanks bos ;D

+T

Offline wboswell

• Don't call what you're wearing an outfit
    • Trey Woodruff on guitar
« Reply #93 on: August 01, 2005, 08:10:38 PM »
not to say you couldn't hack a nice cable and make it fit, but stock lockers have too much meat on the bone...

Offline tim in jersey

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #94 on: August 01, 2005, 08:18:41 PM »
I wonder if you could connect the coax to the jack and add a small dot of solder to lock it in place? Then reheat and remove if you ever need to repair/replace the cable.

Just thinking out loud.

Offline Crumbo

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Taperssection Member
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #95 on: August 01, 2005, 08:19:30 PM »

Maybe I didn't make myself clear in my previous post... You will NOT be able to use a beefy connector with a locking connector for your s/pdif connection.  There is not enough room, at least on the unit I held.  You'll want to use something like an apogee wyed-eye with a really thin barrel.  We used an generic cable like the one that is provided when you buy a tv or vcr..  you know, the super cheap freebie.

thanks for the info

+T

looks like I need to order a different cable
Mics: AKG ck63
Cables: nBob actives
Preamp: nbox platinum II
Recorders:  Sony PCM-M10, Edirol R-05

Offline Judderbar

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #96 on: August 01, 2005, 08:26:44 PM »
Well it's appeared on the m-audio UK site now (no new info except UK price):

http://www.maudio.co.uk/products/en_gb/MicroTrack2496-main.html

As usual for this sort of stuff over here, it looks like they just changed the $ to a £ sign which nearly doubles the USA price, at £349... I'll try and call a dealer tomorrow and see if that will be the actual street price.  The $399 from US dealers looks good until you add the shipping, and then customs charges - it comes to almost the same, and you end-up with the wrong AC adaptor too.

And thinking aloud, I'll probably answer my own question here but - the info says it has balanced 1/4" inputs - presumably that means it's a 1/4" 'stereo' plug, or is there another type of plug needed to maintain the shielding?  And so for phantom power, you'd still need the phantom power adaptors on your mics, and then an XLR-F to 1/4" stereo plug adaptor?  I've looked around online and it seems you can get exactly this, but I think I'll make up a couple of extension leads so I can have the phantom adaptors stuffed in my back pocket instead of hanging out the front of the unit.

If the Microtrack is the size and shape of a mobile phone then they should make a clip-on cellphone cover for the ultimate in stealthing - it could be made so that the keypad could operate the record and level controls  ;)

Offline nic

• Big In Japan
  • Trade Count: (1)
    • half dead batteries
« Reply #97 on: August 01, 2005, 08:33:15 PM »
each 1/4" is TRS, making it balanced for line inputs.
other than using mics that are not designed for phantom power, why would you need phantom adapters?
the device can provide 48V phantom.

the water's clean and innocent

Offline F.O.Bean

• Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #98 on: August 01, 2005, 08:37:23 PM »
other than using mics that are not designed for phantom power, why would you need phantom adapters?
to save batt power from the micro tracker!

Offline nic

• Big In Japan
    • half dead batteries
« Reply #99 on: August 01, 2005, 08:41:22 PM »
to save batt power from the micro tracker!

find a battery, regulate it down to 5v, and put a usb connector on it, or, use a outboard pre/ad   :P

Offline Judderbar

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #100 on: August 01, 2005, 08:51:23 PM »

I have AT853s (Converted back from SP-CMC-4), and at the moment they go AT853>Phantom adaptor>PS-2

So presumably if I take the PS-2 out and replace it with the Microtrack (or some other phantom power supply), the adaptors are still needed?

Offline nic

• Big In Japan
    • half dead batteries
« Reply #101 on: August 01, 2005, 08:53:49 PM »

I have AT853s (Converted back from SP-CMC-4), and at the moment they go AT853>Phantom adaptor>PS-2

So presumably if I take the PS-2 out and replace it with the Microtrack (or some other phantom power supply), the adaptors are still needed?

or, keep your existing mics>adapter>ps2 and put 1/4" adaptors coming out of the ps2 into the microtrack

Offline John Kelly

• Been a while...
    • The Jokell
« Reply #102 on: August 01, 2005, 09:26:15 PM »
As usual for this sort of stuff over here, it looks like they just changed the $ to a £ sign which nearly doubles the USA price, at £349... I'll try and call a dealer tomorrow and see if that will be the actual street price.  The $399 from US dealers looks good until you add the shipping, and then customs charges - it comes to almost the same, and you end-up with the wrong AC adaptor too.

Actually, if you look at the us site, it lists $499.  So check with EU dealers and see if their actual price is lower than the MSRP over there.
Sennheiser MKH8040st > SD 702
XBL/PSN/Steam ID: thejokell

Offline Judderbar

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #103 on: August 02, 2005, 07:57:20 AM »
Yeah I know - I'm just used to the list price being 'it' alot of the time over here...

Having said that, I called Turnkey today, who do seem to have m-audio gear at less than list price, and... they didn't have it on their system yet - said to try again in a week or 2.  I called m-audio themselves, and they are hoping it will be available in the UK in 4 - 6 weeks.

« Last Edit: August 02, 2005, 08:03:19 AM by Judderbar »

Offline WiFiJeff

• Taperssection Member
  • I tape therefore I am.
« Reply #104 on: August 02, 2005, 10:52:41 AM »
FWIW, someone posted the following to the Oade board on the MicroTrack:

"There are numerous reports of trouble with the S/PDIF input and the mic input when phantom power is used. These same sources say reports from beta testers are why it's ship date is being pushed back from late August to mid September. "

I have no idea what the source of this information is, or where the "betsa testers" might be lurking, but this is not good news.

Jeff

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.064 seconds with 38 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com