Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Mobile recording question  (Read 6264 times)

Offline Evil Taper

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Going pro...no time for taping now
Re: Mobile recording question
« Reply #15 on: December 22, 2005, 09:23:00 AM »
you can usually find scenes from best motoring on the bit torrent sites.  i got all of mine through netflix...volumes 1-18 or something of that nature.  What's your budget defined at?
Really not very evil at all now...

Offline Netspeed

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #16 on: December 22, 2005, 09:25:16 AM »
If I can keep the entire rig at around $500, that would be good.

Offline cleantone

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #17 on: December 22, 2005, 11:07:07 AM »
I'm not gonna pretend I read this whole thread or even got a full grasp of what your trying to make happen. But I immediatly thought of this new mic:

Made by HHB it has an omni directional condensor capsule and records 1GB of data self contained and small. I do not know about SPL's of what your looking to record, nor what this can handle.

http://www.hhb.co.uk/hhb/usa/news/fullstory.asp?ID=336

http://www.hhb.co.uk/hhb/global/brochures/Flashmic.pdf

Sampling Frequency 48kHz, 32kHz. Selection by FlashMic Manager software or on DRM85. Bit Resolution (Linear) 16 Bit Audio Formats Linear PCM, MPEG 1 Layer 2, Selection by FlashMic Manager software or on DRM85. 6 mode settings Bitrates (MPEG) 384, 256. 192, 128 kbps Frequency Response 20 Hz - 20 kHz ±1dB @ 48 kHz FS Linear PCM THD + N < 0.1% (20 Hz - 20 kHz) @ 48 kHz FS Linear PCM Number of Channels 1 (Mono) Microphone Capsule Omni-directional Record Level Automatic Gain Control (AGC = on), Manual Gain Control (AGC = off)  High Pass Filter Switchable on/off, 12 dB/octave @ 100Hz Data Storage System Fixed internal memory, capacity 1 GB.  Date / Time Internal real-time clock, running as long as power supply is available. Back-up supply for 1 minute to allow battery change. Set / synchronized automatically by host computer application according to host computer clock. Manual setting on DRM85 by menu item. File Format Linear PCM: .wav, Broadcast Wave File (BWF). MPEG 1 Layer 2: .mp2, ISO/IEC-11172-3. Date / Time stamp is stored in file header. Filename generated automatically by DRM85, basic text string provided from PC software. File System FAT32. Mounts as a removable drive via USB mass storage device protocol. File transfer is possible with the FlashMic Manager  software or through Windows Explorer and Mac OS Finder. Headphone Output 3.5mm stereo socket, mono signal to both channels. Manual volume control by rotary switch. Output may be used for audio  recording on PC. Drive capability for 32Ωheadphone, short circuit protection. Optional Accessories Wind shield, table stand. Weight 366 grammes / 13 ounces (excluding batteries) Dimensions Length 244mm / 9.6 inches. Diameter at widest point (mic capsule) 50mm, 2 inches.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2005, 11:09:31 AM by cleantone »
ISO: your recordings of The Slip, Surprise Me Mr. Davis and The Barr Brothers. pm me please.

Offline Netspeed

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #18 on: December 23, 2005, 12:02:13 PM »
Everyone have a very Merry Christmas (or Holiday depending on your political-correctness).
Thanks for all the great audio recommendations. I still haven't decided yet. Microtrack, JB3, D8, or Hi-MD. Hopefull I can narrow it down soon.

kskreider

« Reply #19 on: December 23, 2005, 01:19:43 PM »
I am still a little confused as to whether you are looking for a entire rig: mics>pre>A/D>recorder, or just a recorder. 

Some other things to keep in mind: 

If you will need to jam the wind @ 40mph-160mph...good luck. 

Also, what about SPL levels?  I am under the impression you are talking 120dB and higher, easy.

You will need to shockmount even the smallest mics again the vibrations...

Just my $.02, but maybe try a rental house (with the insurance option checked) and toy with a couple inexpensive set ups first.  OR try The Geetar Center and their cheapo Oktava omnis with a MD or something...

Offline Netspeed

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #20 on: December 23, 2005, 01:30:56 PM »
I am talking entire rig but the main focus right now is storage. Yes, the decibel levels will be high. Do you have a good recommendation for small mics?

kskreider

« Reply #21 on: December 23, 2005, 02:06:03 PM »
I am talking entire rig but the main focus right now is storage. Yes, the decibel levels will be high. Do you have a good recommendation for small mics?

Not w/o having an idea of the SP.  The Oktava MK-012 (omni) only goes up to 130dB in 250-8000Hz range which is where most of your sound is going to be.  To get up into the higher SPL's you are talking about more money.

Also, you really only need one mic for a mono signal, correct? 

maybe a AT product would meet what you need.  AT3031 is a cardiod pattern, but has high SPL
http://www.audio-technica.com/cms/wired_mics/474528ca789f46f4/index.html

The at3032 is a omni and handles similar high SPL's
http://www.audio-technica.com/cms/wired_mics/de35250f2f1be27e/index.html

MSRP on these is only $259 which means they probably retail for around $170ish.

These were both found by cruising the AT web site and searching for 'high spl"

Try it with other sites.  AKG, Sennheiser, Oktava, etc...

Good luck and happy holidaze.

PS, Go by an inexpensive sound meter at Rat Shack and to get a accurate idea of the continual SPL's you will be dealing with.

...Kk

Offline Netspeed

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #22 on: December 23, 2005, 02:22:13 PM »
The ultimate end of all the sounds are going to be ringtones so I guess mono will work. I like the idea of running a sound meter at first to see what the level is at. Is there any compact way to electronically make the mics work if the SPL is too high?

Offline Netspeed

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #23 on: December 24, 2005, 11:20:27 AM »
What type of mic is used in this setup?
http://www.qv500.com/racecam/components.php

They record video and audio to a Sony miniDV recorder.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.072 seconds with 37 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com