Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Optical Cable Broke in the JB3?  (Read 5587 times)

ho

• Trade Count: (0)
Optical Cable Broke in the JB3?
« on: December 29, 2005, 03:31:50 PM »
Just got this as back up and was testing it and the optical tip broke off the input? Any input on how to get fixed would be great.

Offline rowjimmy

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • rowjimmy.com
    • Row Knows
Re: Optical Cable Broke in the JB3?
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2005, 03:50:37 PM »
the mini-optical cable broke off inside the jb3 jack?
ouch.
well, as an optical plug is hollow... perhaps you could use a small pin to reach inside and ease it out?

without seeing it i don't have much else i can suggest.
Bandcamp | Host of The Brokedown Podcast
mic > wires > recorder

ho

« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2005, 04:44:50 PM »
can the jack be accessed if I open the unit? Trying not to open it if I don't have to.

Offline bhtoque

• Trade Count: (3)
  • So much music, so little time.
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2005, 05:27:51 PM »
can the jack be accessed if I open the unit? Trying not to open it if I don't have to.

Yes it can be accessed , but no you can't just stick something in the other end to push the tip back out.

AFAIK the jack is a solid piece too, so you really have tot take it out the way it went in.

JAson
MG 200/210/270
AKG c422>s42>Hydra silver interconnects
AKG 391/92/93>MK 90/3 actives
>AM Hyper-Conductors
Studio Projects LSD2>MiAGi II
>Edirol R-4 (Oade T Mod)

db.etree.org/bhtoque

ho

« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2005, 06:08:09 PM »
Shit.. I can't get it out.

Offline bhtoque

• So much music, so little time.
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2005, 07:04:34 PM »

Put a bit of crazy glue (as little as possible) on the optical cable. Stick it into the jack so the two broken pieces connect and hold it there a few minutes so it dries. Then slowly pull it out.

The jack can be replaced if all else fails, but getting the part will not be easy.

JAson
MG 200/210/270
AKG c422>s42>Hydra silver interconnects
AKG 391/92/93>MK 90/3 actives
>AM Hyper-Conductors
Studio Projects LSD2>MiAGi II
>Edirol R-4 (Oade T Mod)

db.etree.org/bhtoque

Offline terrapinj

• Jonesin' for Tunes
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2005, 07:10:45 PM »

hello 911, yeah this is Quagmire, its in the window this time!

just curious how this happened, defective cable or did you bend it wrong when trying to remove it? +T for your troubles
JW mod AKG 460b (ck61/ck63 or mk46/ck1x/ck3x)>  EAA PSP-2 > 722

Segue Dogstar XLRs and Interconnects

ISO: (2) ck2x

ho

« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2005, 07:58:42 AM »

hello 911, yeah this is Quagmire, its in the window this time!

just curious how this happened, defective cable or did you bend it wrong when trying to remove it? +T for your troubles
I had plugged it in and it wasn't a right angle and broke off when I was putting on the computer. The crappy thing is, is that it's broke off flush with the side so I can't use the glue. I've never seen anything break that easy.

Now, I have an old school MD player/recorder that takes a optical in. Could that piece work as replacement?

Offline SparkE!

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2005, 01:02:36 PM »
How about heating the tip of a straight pin with a lighter and push the heated tip into the broken optical cable, melting the plastic as it penetrates.  Let it cool and pull it out.  Even if it doesn't hold, you'll now have a hole in the broken optical cable that's the same size as the pin.  At that point, you can dip the tip of the pin in some low viscosity super glue like Jet or Aaron Alpha.  Jet is available at most model supply stores.  Aaron Alpha is available at most Ace Hardware stores.  Both are extremely low viscosity cyanoacrylate glues and will fill any narrow void.  Careful... it's very easy to glued things together that you did not mean to glue.  Things like your fingers.  Also, the glue will run a long way into crevices.  Be careful only to use enough glue to get the job done or you'll also glue everything else in the general vicinity.  That's the reason I suggest dipping the end of the pin in the glue.  That way, you'll get only enough glue to get the job done.  DON'T try to apply directly to the broken piece on the optical cable or you'll end up just gluing that piece in place, guaranteed.
How'm I supposed to read your lips when you're talkin' out your ass? - Lern Tilton

Ignorance in audio is exceeded only by our collective willingness to embrace and foster it. -  Srajan Ebaen

ho

« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2005, 01:16:19 PM »
How about heating the tip of a straight pin with a lighter and push the heated tip into the broken optical cable, melting the plastic as it penetrates.  Let it cool and pull it out.  Even if it doesn't hold, you'll now have a hole in the broken optical cable that's the same size as the pin.  At that point, you can dip the tip of the pin in some low viscosity super glue like Jet or Aaron Alpha.  Jet is available at most model supply stores.  Aaron Alpha is available at most Ace Hardware stores.  Both are extremely low viscosity cyanoacrylate glues and will fill any narrow void.  Careful... it's very easy to glued things together that you did not mean to glue.  Things like your fingers.  Also, the glue will run a long way into crevices.  Be careful only to use enough glue to get the job done or you'll also glue everything else in the general vicinity.  That's the reason I suggest dipping the end of the pin in the glue.  That way, you'll get only enough glue to get the job done.  DON'T try to apply directly to the broken piece on the optical cable or you'll end up just gluing that piece in place, guaranteed.
Thanks for the info. Gotta try it out tonight.

Offline sickrick43

• Taperssection All-Star
  • I'm NOT a fucking llama!
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2006, 10:09:54 PM »

I used a dental "pick", but ended up breaking the solder joints that hold (flush/surface mount) connector to the board.  Ended up taking it to a friend who works in the test lab at a local defense contractor to get him to solder the connector on.

Take the cover off first, so you can hold the connector to the board, before you start wrenching on it.  That way you "should" avoid breaking it off the board.

Rottsa Ruck...

Rick
4 Track & CD Live Rig: TLM-170's->V3->SD-744T  CDLive->TC Finalzer Express->Tascam CDR-900SL

24 Track Rig: Audix D6/D2/D4/I5/SCX1-C/O->Whilrwind SPC82 ISO Splitters->DigimaxLT's->Alesis HD24 (Lucid GenX192 Master Clock)

Canon 1Ds MarkII - 16-35/2.8L - 24-70/2.8L - 70-200/2.8L IS - 180/f:3.5 Macro - 550EX Flash

"this isnt a dramatic bitchy exit, its just time to go." - Big Ray (queen of the dramatic bitchy exit)

Offline SparkE!

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2006, 11:41:15 PM »
Inquiring minds want to know... Did you get the broken end out?
How'm I supposed to read your lips when you're talkin' out your ass? - Lern Tilton

Ignorance in audio is exceeded only by our collective willingness to embrace and foster it. -  Srajan Ebaen

ho

« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2006, 11:06:08 AM »
Haven't done it yet. Kinda got sidetracked over the last week. Still need to get the supplies.

Offline willndmb

• Trade Count: (17)
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2006, 11:58:49 AM »

Put a bit of crazy glue (as little as possible) on the optical cable. Stick it into the jack so the two broken pieces connect and hold it there a few minutes so it dries. Then slowly pull it out.

The jack can be replaced if all else fails, but getting the part will not be easy.

JAson
thats what i was thinking, or if you can put something into the plug from the outside put glue on that and slide it in
Mics - AKG ck61/ck63 (c480b & Naiant actives), SP-BMC-2
XLR Cables - Silver Path w/Darktrain stubbies
Interconnect Cables - Dogstar (XLR), Darktrain (RCA > 1/8) (1/8 > 1/8), and Kind Kables (1/8f > 1/4)
Preamps - Naiant Littlebox & Tinybox
Recorders - PCM-M10 & DR-60D

Offline todd e

• ***Team Schoeps***
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2006, 12:18:24 PM »
what about suction?  it seems that this wouldn't be nearly as damaging and could be done relatively easily.

maybe a magent too.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.061 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com