Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Cheap mics vs $$$ mics for iffy venue  (Read 4957 times)

Offline jeromejello

• Team Florida - always brings the heat
  • Trade Count: (9)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • surly tapir
Re: Cheap mics vs $$$ mics for iffy venue
« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2006, 03:01:49 PM »
Using a $1400 pre/ADC for a $600 mic pair is great if you can borrow the pre, but I'm looking for a mic first. I'm not saying a good pre can't make a mic sound better (different), but I think running a mic line in to an M1 should give one the best idea of what a mic sounds like - no pre to add coloration. I would love to hear others' comments on this.

i think the mics are the most important first step, but a quality pre will really allow the mic to reach its potential (as will a good adc)

running line in to ANYTHING (albeit 722/744 & r-4 & 660/670) will be suckage and WILL NOT show the mics sound true colors but rather the limitations of what its going into.  while i have used the jb3's adc and a ps-2 (strickly p48) for my at853s and have achieved nice recordings, it is nothing compared to the 853>ua-5>jb3.  the pre and adc being done outboard is huge improvement to just everything i have tried and make these budget entry level mics a real contender when paired with good pre/adc.

obviously, the at853 in front of a v3 would be the exact opposite - clearly showing the limitations of the mic... and i can see your point of a having a 1400 pre/adc and 300 mics.  but there is a balance. 
open: mbho 603a (ka200n/ka500hn) > SD MP-2 > PCM-M10
stealth: AT853a (o/sc/c/h) > SD MP-2 > ihp120
misc: Earthworks SR77 | Shure VP88

bt & dime

Offline Massive Dynamic

• Trade Count: (21)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • 20 years of the best in apocalyptic gothic metal
« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2006, 05:15:36 PM »
i think the mics are the most important first step, but a quality pre will really allow the mic to reach its potential (as will a good adc)

running line in to ANYTHING (albeit 722/744 & r-4 & 660/670) will be suckage and WILL NOT show the mics sound true colors but rather the limitations of what its going into.
I see this logic, but I ran an A/B test with Audix 1290 > pmod UA-5 > M1 and Audix 1290 > PS-2 > LT > M1, and the UA-5 sounded only slightly better. The venue and PA were both poor, so maybe it wasn't a fair test. Or perhaps it was the perfect test; I heard little improvement with a $500 pre vs. line transformers. This experience seems contrary to others' experiences, which is why I appreciate the discussion.
Naiant X-X > SP-SPSB-1 > M10
Superlux S502 > Denecke PS-2 > Hosa MIT-435 > M10

Offline jeromejello

• Team Florida - always brings the heat
  • Trade Count: (9)
  • surly tapir
« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2006, 06:04:01 PM »

running line in to ANYTHING (albeit 722/744 & r-4 & 660/670) will be suckage and WILL NOT show the mics sound true colors but rather the limitations of what its going into.
I see this logic, but I ran an A/B test with Audix 1290 > pmod UA-5 > M1 and Audix 1290 > PS-2 > LT > M1, and the UA-5 sounded only slightly better. The venue and PA were both poor, so maybe it wasn't a fair test. Or perhaps it was the perfect test; I heard little improvement with a $500 pre vs. line transformers. This experience seems contrary to others' experiences, which is why I appreciate the discussion.

well i dont think it was the perfect test, with a shitty pa and a shitty venue... rather i think what you are seeing are the limits that are observed when dealing in these environments... there is only so much any gear is going to do in these conditions... and i would guess that if the pa and venue suck and you feel you only get marginally improved sound with a pmod ua-5 over transformers you have come to 2 conclusions... 1) the pmod DOES sound better and 2) transformers are a cheaper alternative for you and your taping environments.

imo, i dont think transformers would be my solution.... i would (and do) have them for stealth situations, but would rather the ua-5 for open taping... i have heard a difference in my tapes b/w the at853s > bb / at853s > ps-2 / at853s > ps-2>mit176 / at853 > ua-5

have you considered possibly other mic configs?  ortf is my personal favorite/standby, but in the right (ahem, wrong) situation would blow goats...
open: mbho 603a (ka200n/ka500hn) > SD MP-2 > PCM-M10
stealth: AT853a (o/sc/c/h) > SD MP-2 > ihp120
misc: Earthworks SR77 | Shure VP88

bt & dime

Offline Nick Graham

• Amorican
  • Trade Count: (3)
« Reply #18 on: February 27, 2006, 07:39:00 PM »
I think running a mic line in to an M1 should give one the best idea of what a mic sounds like - no pre to add coloration. I would love to hear others' comments on this.

Bingo! In the words of Doug Oade - "There's no pre-amp like no pre-amp".

Everything we add in the chain (pre, A/D, cables, etc.) all change the overall sound. Running with as little effects as possible (in this case line in straight to a deck) will give the best representation of what a mic really sounds like.

Right now nothing...in the past: Schoeps CMC6, AKG 480, AKG 460, AKG 414, MBHO 603a, Neumann KM100, ADK TL>Schoeps MK4, Schoeps MK2, Schoeps MK41, AKG ck61, AKG ck62, AKG ck63, Neumann AK40, Neumann AK50, MBHO ka200>Lunatec V2, Lunatec V3, Apogee Mini-Me, Oade M148, Oade M248, Sound Devices MP2, Sonosax SXM2>Sony (mod)SBM1, Apogee AD500>D7, D8, D100, M1, R1, R4, R09, iRiver HP120, Microtrack

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.053 seconds with 27 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com