Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Anyone know anything about this Fostex FR2 LE (previously FR3 LE)  (Read 108218 times)

Offline drewski1986

• Trade Count: (19)
  • Taperssection Member
Re: Anyone know anything about this Fostex FR2 LE (previously FR3 LE)
« Reply #285 on: January 07, 2008, 09:50:39 AM »
I just picked up an fr2le on ebay and wondered if I could run church audio electret mics into this unit while I am saving for some condensor mics.  If I had a y adapter to go 1/8" to xlr male could I run ca mics>St-9100 pre > line in on the fr2le (with phantom power off of course)?  I am not too swift on the tech stuff, just asking if this will work while I save some dough.  Thanks for any input.

Offline eric.B

• to the side qualified
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #286 on: January 07, 2008, 10:31:33 AM »
I just picked up an fr2le on ebay and wondered if I could run church audio electret mics into this unit while I am saving for some condensor mics.  If I had a y adapter to go 1/8" to xlr male could I run ca mics>St-9100 pre > line in on the fr2le (with phantom power off of course)?  I am not too swift on the tech stuff, just asking if this will work while I save some dough.  Thanks for any input.

I believe you'd want to run..   bbox>adaptor to go TS>fr2le   

The jacks on the side of the fr2le are combination xlr/TS jacks.  The xlr runs through the preamp stage, so if you are feeding the fr2le a line level signal (from a bat box), you'd want to use the TS (1/4 inch) jacks.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2008, 10:56:48 AM by eric.B »
We have a system that increasingly taxes work and subsidizes nonwork.  ~Milton Friedman

Offline drewski1986

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #287 on: January 07, 2008, 10:58:54 AM »
Thanks for the info.  So the 1/4" ts connections don't go through the fr2le's pre amps?  I can use the 9100 pre amp as long as my y adapter goes 1/8" to 1/4 ts.  I hope this is right.  Just don't want to fry anything and I am no elec. eng. or audio techy. 

Offline eric.B

• to the side qualified
  • Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #288 on: January 07, 2008, 11:07:20 AM »
Thanks for the info.  So the 1/4" ts connections don't go through the fr2le's pre amps?  I can use the 9100 pre amp as long as my y adapter goes 1/8" to 1/4 ts.  I hope this is right.  Just don't want to fry anything and I am no elec. eng. or audio techy. 

hehe.. no you won't fry anything.. just keep the phantom on the fr2le off and you'll be fine..   yep..  1/8" stereo mini > R/L 1/4 TS jacks.. 
We have a system that increasingly taxes work and subsidizes nonwork.  ~Milton Friedman

Offline drewski1986

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #289 on: January 07, 2008, 11:27:08 AM »
Thanks eric.  When I get the fr2le I will try this and if it sounds good I can sell my r-09 to help fund some condensor mics.

Offline drewski1986

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #290 on: January 14, 2008, 11:06:20 AM »
I've got everything I need for this unit except a larger cf card.  What speed am I looking for?  New egg has a Transcend 4g 133x card for $31 shipped.  This looks great to me but is the speed right?  Anyone have any suggestions on cards and/or speeds.  I really don't know anything about CF cards.  Thanks.

Offline cgrooves

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Get On the Bus -Busman Audio
« Reply #291 on: January 14, 2008, 12:49:01 PM »
I've got everything I need for this unit except a larger cf card.  What speed am I looking for?  New egg has a Transcend 4g 133x card for $31 shipped.  This looks great to me but is the speed right?  Anyone have any suggestions on cards and/or speeds.  I really don't know anything about CF cards.  Thanks.

That card should work fine.  The research I performed prior to purchasing CF cards for mine indicated that you don't even need a card that fast to record with.  I believe the higher speed will help you with the USB transfer time, however.
AUDIO:
Open:  Busman Audio BSC1-(K1/K2/K3/K4) > Fostex FR-2LE (Busman T Mod) 

Unopen:  AudioReality Omni Mics (Panasonic capsules)> AudioReality Battery Box (depending on SPL's) > iRiver H140 w/ Rockbox

VISUAL:
Canon 7D, Canon 50mm/1.8, Canon 85mm/1.8, Tamron 17-50mm/2.8, Tamron 70-200mm/2.8

Offline Colin Liston

• Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #292 on: January 14, 2008, 01:20:06 PM »

I just got an Transcend 8g 133x card and it works fine. 
Occasionally....music mics record

Offline JiB97

• Trade Count: (12)
    • My Archive Bookmarks
« Reply #293 on: January 14, 2008, 01:21:10 PM »

I use that card and the 8GB Transcend CF Card with no issues whatsoever.  You'll be set.  There is a link on the Fostex website that lists the cards that are confirmed to be compatible with the FR2-LE.
AKG ck3/ck8 | c460b  + Naiant Actives | PFAs
Audio Technica u853r (omnis/mini-guns)
Tascam DR-70D

My Archive Links

Offline drewski1986

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #294 on: January 14, 2008, 03:40:52 PM »
Thanks for the information.  I ordered the 4g card from newegg.  I saw the list on the Fostex site but it only listed 120x cards for 4 and 8 gig.  This will be a great start, maybe get an 8 gig card later.

Offline spcyrfc

• Taperssection Member
  • Live from River City
    • BordersCrossing.net
« Reply #295 on: January 16, 2008, 01:20:19 PM »
can one create tracks on the fly with this machine?
how is it done?
thanks
mkh8040>aerco mp-2>pcmd-50
PFS: AKG 414xls

Record Local

www.borderscrossing.net

Offline flintstone

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #296 on: January 16, 2008, 04:23:56 PM »
The FR-2LE doesn't include a track split function, but it does let you insert cue markers as you record.  In playback mode you can jump to a cue marker location.

When you're recording and press the Rec/Pause button, recording stops and the current track is closed.  Slide the Rec switch to begin a new track.   With the 2 second pre-roll turned on, you should be able to close the track and start a new one with a minimal loss of recording time.  This might be useful when a band pauses between songs, for example.

Flintstone

Offline spcyrfc

• Taperssection Member
  • Live from River City
    • BordersCrossing.net
« Reply #297 on: January 16, 2008, 05:10:26 PM »
The FR-2LE doesn't include a track split function, but it does let you insert cue markers as you record.  In playback mode you can jump to a cue marker location.

When you're recording and press the Rec/Pause button, recording stops and the current track is closed.  Slide the Rec switch to begin a new track.   With the 2 second pre-roll turned on, you should be able to close the track and start a new one with a minimal loss of recording time.  This might be useful when a band pauses between songs, for example.

Flintstone

just what i needed to know +t
mkh8040>aerco mp-2>pcmd-50
PFS: AKG 414xls

Record Local

www.borderscrossing.net

Offline cgrooves

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Get On the Bus -Busman Audio
« Reply #298 on: January 16, 2008, 05:35:58 PM »

Flintstone

just what i needed to know +t

To add to what flintstone stated:

You can add up to 99 cue points during a recording.  All you have to do is press the 'mark' button on the top panel, or easier yet, push the 'mark' button on the remote.  I would think the latter would be the easiest method during a recording session.

Owner's Manual:  http://www.fostexusa.com/support/pdf/fostex/fr2le/fr2le_owners_manual.pdf
AUDIO:
Open:  Busman Audio BSC1-(K1/K2/K3/K4) > Fostex FR-2LE (Busman T Mod) 

Unopen:  AudioReality Omni Mics (Panasonic capsules)> AudioReality Battery Box (depending on SPL's) > iRiver H140 w/ Rockbox

VISUAL:
Canon 7D, Canon 50mm/1.8, Canon 85mm/1.8, Tamron 17-50mm/2.8, Tamron 70-200mm/2.8

Offline illconditioned

• Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #299 on: January 16, 2008, 08:23:42 PM »
OK, I've got some questions too:

- how can you sort the files on your computer?  The names are something like B20h21m09s16jan2008.wav.  I would like to sort based on regular date.  Is that what the ".adl" or whatever files are on there for?  If so, what packages can read those?

- how can I tell elapsed time of the recording?  It just shows the time started I think.

Thanks!
  Richard
Please DO NOT mail me with tech questions.  I will try to answer in the forums when I get a chance.  Thanks.

Sample recordings at: http://www.soundmann.com.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.07 seconds with 38 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com