Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Mic'ing a scrubboard....with mobility in mind  (Read 5851 times)

Offline Geoff G

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
  • MMMmm...pretty colors. Pass the tea please.
Re: Mic'ing a scrubboard....with mobility in mind
« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2006, 07:02:51 PM »

\
(MK8/MK41/MK4V/MK2 -> KC5/CMC6) or (Neumann U89's)  -> AM Sorcerer -> 2 x Sonosax SX-M2 -> AM Sorcerer -> Mytek 192 -> 744t

Offline bluegrass_brad

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Old and in the way.
« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2006, 07:34:42 PM »
Cody uses a pickup, but I cant remember what kind.  I'll bet one of those K&K multi paddle pickups used on bass bridges for the definition (not the under saddle ones that give you the thump) might work well.  Pretty even frequency response, just throw on the high pass and rock it out.   You could also spread the paddles out across the back of the washboard to give an even sound down it's length.
http://www.kksound.com/doublebigtwin.html

or this might work, says its universal.  Only problem is it is on a single paddle so you might get uneven sound depending on where she is playing on the board.
http://www.kksound.com/hotspot.html

K&K make great pickups, so if you have to use one that is a good way to go.  Youll be able to turn it up much louder before feedback.
A friend of mine uses something like this on his mando.  It sounded surprisingly good.  Different brand and all, but same concept.  His was just a single pickup.  I bet a couple on each side would be usable for sure.

Matt

We used the one with 4 pickups on Ben Kaufmann from YMSB's bass combined with an under bridge.
CK1x, CK2x, CK3x > Hub Industry Cables > Naiant PFA or MK46 > 460B
CK1, CK8, CK63 > 460b

"That was back in a time when society was not quite ready for this music. Anyone remember those days? That's when punk rock was dangerous, right?" - Mike Ness

BobW

« Reply #17 on: April 16, 2006, 12:22:09 AM »
you can go the NMAS route and tape a piezo to it.

Yep, getcha a Barcus-Berry hot dot and some bonding goop and you're golden
These are small contact piezos.
May be called a Barcus Berry DISQOS now, they're pretty inexpensive.

A good hardwood washboard should transmit the sound fairly evenly.
A metal chestboard could be a bigger challenge, but experiment with placement and you'll nail it.

« Last Edit: April 16, 2006, 12:36:22 AM by _Bob_ »

Offline Sparge Master

• Needs to get out more...
    • Sparge Master's List
Re: Mic'ing a scrubboard.... Hijacking the thread because of the photos...
« Reply #18 on: April 18, 2006, 11:36:40 AM »
I taped Revrend Payton's Big Damn Band while they were here in Phoenix. It was billed as "root blues"...
Anyway the trio was hot and they are nice people too.  They did the So Cal run with Derrick Trucks just before his gear was jacked... Anyway go see (and Tape) this band. http://www.bigdamnband.com/

I know the from that DTB run out here in CA. I have a tape just havnt had time to transfer track. Considering thats what I do at work all day I am kind of sick of it actually
AT853Rx > MP-2 > modSBM1 > D8
7.5Gallon Pot > Sparging Bucket > 7.5Gallon Pot > Counter Flow Wort Chiller > 6.5Gallon Carboy > 5Gallon Carboy > Cornelius Keg > Tap > Glass > Mouth

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.035 seconds with 27 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com