Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Mytek DAC - a brief review  (Read 6578 times)

Offline MattD

• Taper Emeritus
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
Mytek DAC - a brief review
« on: April 29, 2006, 11:32:28 PM »
I've been demoing the Mytek Stereo96 DAC for over a week now and am purchasing one! I've been looking for a DAC since I sold the ULN-2 a few months ago. I'd been using the analog out of my sound card since then and was getting pretty fed up with it. I didn't want to use the 722 for playback, though I did just that a few times when I really wanted to listen to something a little more critically.

The version of the DAC I'm demoing has more inputs and features than what's described on their website. I've included a few pics of the latest version. I've compared this to both the Benchmark DAC-1 and a Bel Canto DAC1. I like the Mytek over both. I brought the unit over to Brian's place today to hear it with Von Schweikert VR-1s. Since they're the speakers I have (boxed up in Connecticut right now), I just wanted to be sure I liked the DAC over those as well as over my headphones. Maybe Brian will offer up his opinion as well.

The Mytek has 4 inputs: AES, 2 coax, and 1 optical. It has balanced XLR outs and a 1/4" headphone jack. Both are contolled by the volume knob on the front and both are active simultaneously. A button on the front cycles through the inputs. There are two clock modes: input and superlock. Input is derived from the incoming clock, while the superlock is some internal clock that is used to reclock the input.

In a single-blind test, Brian was able to identify the difference between the superlock and input modes. His observations confirmed mine, we agreed that the input mode was more "in your face" and detailed, while the superlock was more laid back and generally smoother. We found the superlock mode easier to listen to for an extended time.

We also did a comparison to the Bel Canto through Brian's tube pre. I played the "blind" during this one. The Mytek had a better lower end extension, a balanced presentation, and more detail overall. It took a few switches back and forth for the differences to become apparent, but once I identified them, it was easy to pick out which unit was which.

Before today, I had borrowed a friend's Benchmark DAC-1 for about 2 weeks. It had the blackest background I've ever heard. It was definitely quieter than the Mytek. However, I found that the Benchmark was sterile, especially with very layered sounds. It shone on simple stuff (Miles Davis was excellent), but rock music wasn't as good through it. I was actually disappointed with it, since to me, it failed to live up to the glowing reviews.

I was tempted to test drive a Grace m902, but after hearing the Mytek, I don't want to. I like the Mytek and can't justify another $500 for the Grace unit. I'm sure it's good and I might like it better, but the Mytek fits in my budget with the money I made from selling the ULN-2. I'm sure I will be very happy with it!

Out of the game … for now?

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
Re: Mytek DAC - a brief review
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2006, 01:33:11 AM »
Fun listening, Matt!!   :coolguy:

Gotta agree with everything Matt's said about the Mytek - it's simply a great sounding unit, with a better feature set than most DACs I've seen (like the Mytek's need any more fluffling!).  I've not heard the Benchmark, but he's spot on in his comparison of the Mytek v. the Bel Canto DAC1.1.  At first blush, they sounded very similar, but after a bit more listening the differences - as Matt touched on already - become readily apparent and easily identified.  That said, I'm not at all unhappy with my BC, but after some higher priority recording and playback changes (722, VR-2s, LCR-15), I'll definitely consider swapping out the BC for a Mytek.

We also confirmed, as Matt expected, that the Mytek runs just fine directly into a poweramp, no preamp needed, with no problems whatsoever - more than enough volume available, I don't think we ever got the Mytek beyond 4 on the variable output knob.

FWIW, full playback was:

PC direct or PC / Squeezebox >
Mytek Stereo96 DAC or Bel Canto DAC1.1 >
Audio Experiences Symphonies (Input: GE JG-575;  Outputs: JJ / Tesla 12AX7) >
McCormack DNA-1 >
Von Schweikert VR-1s

and

Mytek Stereo96 DAC >
McCormack DNA-1 >
VR-1s
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline BC

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Bongo Bongo
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2006, 03:21:47 AM »
good stuff, thanks for sharing guys!
In: DPA4022>V3>Microtracker/D8

Out: Morrison ELAD>Adcom GFA555mkII>Martin Logan Aerius i

RebelRebel

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2006, 07:21:08 AM »
Glad you like it Matt, that sure is a fine company.

I had the Benchmark  in my possession for a while, (both ADC and DAC) and always preferred the Mytek.

I think the Benchmark products are a hair more "precise" but I feel that they are nowhere as near as pleasing or "cozy" as the Mytek sound.

Id say it is like comparing the Grace/Millennia to the Portico/Brick/hardy

Offline scb

• Eli Manning should die of gonorrhea and rot in hell. Would you like a cookie, son?
  • Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2006, 04:48:09 PM »
mytek sound is cozy?  i would say mytek's adc is as accurate as you can get.  not "cozy" or "portico-ish" at all

RebelRebel

« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2006, 05:56:23 PM »
mytek sound is cozy?  i would say mytek's adc is as accurate as you can get.  not "cozy" or "portico-ish" at all

Compared to the Benchmark DAC/ADC1 ...absolutely cozy as hell.  The Benchmark has them a hair on detail , as I mentioned. With that precision comes a little cold/thin/clinical-ness.

In other words, easier to listen to over long periods of time. I guess cozy is a rather vague term...maybe pleasing
is better.

Offline it-goes-to-eleven

• Trade Count: (58)
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2006, 06:54:37 PM »
Great to get some more feedback on this unit..Thank you!

Can't help but wonder about the BC 2.0. Aren't they supposed to be a fair bit better than the 1.0/1.1?  BC prices are getting more attractive with the pressure of the 3.0's release.

And then there is the m902 and the potential for having a remote control. I really like having a remote.

Offline muj

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Certifiable Nevaton Fluffer
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2006, 08:07:36 PM »
the benchmark adc is very detailed and accurate..too much if you ask me. But i love the gain structure and the routing possibilities. >:D
Glad you liked the DAC ;D ;D

cshepherd

« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2006, 04:14:31 AM »

We also confirmed, as Matt expected, that the Mytek runs just fine directly into a poweramp, no preamp needed, with no problems whatsoever - more than enough volume available, I don't think we ever got the Mytek beyond 4 on the variable output knob.

FWIW, full playback was:

Mytek Stereo96 DAC or Bel Canto DAC1.1 >
Audio Experiences Symphonies (Input: GE JG-575;  Outputs: JJ / Tesla 12AX7) >
McCormack DNA-1 >
Von Schweikert VR-1s

and

Mytek Stereo96 DAC >
McCormack DNA-1 >
VR-1s

Hi Brian,
Regarding the no pre amp needed statement...Are you saying there were no sonic benefits to using the Symphonies pre with the Mytek or are you only referring to the issue of volume?

Chris

BobW

« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2006, 06:53:42 AM »

Hi Brian,
Regarding the no pre amp needed statement...Are you saying there were no sonic benefits to using the Symphonies pre with the Mytek or are you only referring to the issue of volume?

Chris

From MattD's description of better low-end extension, I'd doubt that more gain is needed.
That isn't a typical comment made about DACs, so I'd suspect that the gain out of the Mytek may be hot.
On the other hand, different impedances, different sounds, so it can all be relative.

Offline Daryan

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2006, 01:37:25 PM »
Does this thing have a remote control??
Microtech Gefell 200/210->Zaolla Silverlines->Fostex FR-2 (oade modified plus other self mods)

Playback: Bolder modified Squeezebox SB3 (building linear power supply)->Bolder Cable Modified Panasonic XR-45 with bybee's->Bolder Nitro speaker cables->VMPS Audio super modified 626r's, VMPS Larger SUB, 1000w class AB sub amp
Tweaks: isolation and room treatments, silclear, BPT 1.5r Power Conditioner (modified), isoblocks, vibrapods, many others

RebelRebel

« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2006, 01:39:58 PM »
No it doesnt. Mytek cuts corners with "bells and whistles" and focuses on sonics..
« Last Edit: May 01, 2006, 01:43:57 PM by Teddy »

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.097 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com