Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: AKG goes to china  (Read 14372 times)

RebelRebel

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: AKG goes to china
« Reply #30 on: May 16, 2006, 02:17:40 PM »
Plain and simple...AKG rules.  And don't forget it.   >:D

Rules what?  The cheap Chinese condenser market?   ::)

;D ;D ;D

Offline Kindguy

• Team Bama
  • Trade Count: (11)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #31 on: May 16, 2006, 02:26:07 PM »
Bean try out some Mod 460's sometime. You'll love them. I loved my 480's but ther was always something with the mid's I didn't like. Mod 460's fixed that. Fantastic mic IMO. You can borrow mine sometime if you want.

Jeff
TDS!

DPA 4023> aeta PSP-2> Apogee Mini Me > R-44

http://www.basicallyfrightened.com/

Offline Brian

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #32 on: May 16, 2006, 02:38:39 PM »

Rules what?

a hi-hat

Offline bluegrass_brad

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Old and in the way.
« Reply #33 on: May 16, 2006, 02:42:42 PM »

Rules what?

a hi-hat
QFT.  I also really like the 450/460/480 on overheads as well.
CK1x, CK2x, CK3x > Hub Industry Cables > Naiant PFA or MK46 > 460B
CK1, CK8, CK63 > 460b

"That was back in a time when society was not quite ready for this music. Anyone remember those days? That's when punk rock was dangerous, right?" - Mike Ness

Offline Brian

« Reply #34 on: May 16, 2006, 02:48:18 PM »
Plain and simple...AKG rules.  And don't forget it.   >:D

Rules what?

a hi-hat
QFT.  I also really like the 450/460/480 on overheads as well.

original 451's sound great as overheads......especially jazz kits, IMHO 

Offline sygdwm

• unknown sleath taper
  • Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #35 on: May 16, 2006, 04:09:32 PM »

<slowly backs out and closes door>

i ran 210s & 463s>148>671 same show several times and thought the akg's sounded better imo. id like to hear the 200's vs 61's, though. 
mics: (4)akg c460b(a60,mk46,ck1x,ck1,ck2,ck3,ck61,ck63)
pres: oade m148/edirol wmod ua5
recorders: marantz stock671/oade acm671/fostex busman vintage fr2le

(P.S.: On a threaded discussion board like this one, there's no need to repeat someone's post when you reply to them; everyone can see all the messages in the thread.)

Offline Kindguy

• Team Bama
  • Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #36 on: May 16, 2006, 04:15:24 PM »

<slowly backs out and closes door>

i ran 210s & 463s>148>671 same show several times and thought the akg's sounded better imo. id like to hear the 200's vs 61's, though. 

So did I. I owned my MG210 around 2 months till I sold em & bought back my 480's.
TDS!

DPA 4023> aeta PSP-2> Apogee Mini Me > R-44

http://www.basicallyfrightened.com/

Offline kindms

• Trade Count: (6)
    • The Breakfast
« Reply #37 on: May 16, 2006, 05:45:44 PM »
"China is here Mr. Burton"
AKG c426, AKG414 XLS/ST, AKG ck61, ck22, >nBob colettes >PFA > V3, SD MixPre >  TCM-Mod Tascam HDP2, Sony M10
Little Bear tube Pre >Outlaw Audio 2200 Monoblocks > VR-2's

RebelRebel

« Reply #38 on: May 16, 2006, 05:49:19 PM »
I like Gefell and Schoeps for two reasons1.) Sonics 2.) philosophy. Gefell has been making mics the same way, since the 20s, according to the Standards laid out by Georg Neumann.  Schoeps , since the 40s. With both of those companies, EVERY component is made on site, by hand, parts are hand picked and hand tested according to very stringent standards. Neither of those two care about Global Commerce, never compromise to meet a larger consumer base, and place quality and sonic integrity above all. No mass production, but made to order. Yes, this means a higher price to the end user, but IMNSVFHO it is well worth it. Combine the sonics WITH the philosophy and you have a winner, all around. I also like that when you phone one of those two companies, you dont have to be patched into another division in a different country or state. All the employees are in house. AKG is becoming a typicall "big business" model. I dont like that personally, and wont support it. Same thing with SennMan, though I do love the u87, tlm193, and Sennheiser MKH800.

I do love my 426B, and wouldnt trade it for anything, though it is in the shop getting frankensteined at the moment for broader freq. range and better transient response. was about 95% perfect.

but at the end of the day, to me they are just tools, and I buy the tools that do the job for me. I dont identfy with my mics on a personal level,  and certainly dont take offense if someone slags off on them. If it were my Mother, maybe. A piece of steel and wire..(though well crafted!)...never. Dont understand why others take it personally either ,but perhaps that isnt for me to understand nor question.

« Last Edit: May 16, 2006, 05:55:06 PM by Teddy »

Offline OOK

• Trade Count: (17)
  • formerly OtherOneK
« Reply #39 on: May 16, 2006, 06:00:17 PM »
I like Gefell and Schoeps for two reasons1.) Sonics 2.) philosophy. Gefell has been making mics the same way, since the 20s, according to the Standards laid out by Georg Neumann.  Schoeps , since the 40s. With both of those companies, EVERY component is made on site, by hand, parts are hand picked and hand tested according to very stringent standards. Neither of those two care about Global Commerce, never compromise to meet a larger consumer base, and place quality and sonic integrity above all. No mass production, but made to order. Yes, this means a higher price to the end user, but IMNSVFHO it is well worth it. Combine the sonics WITH the philosophy and you have a winner, all around. I also like that when you phone one of those two companies, you dont have to be patched into another division in a different country or state. All the employees are in house. AKG is becoming a typicall "big business" model. I dont like that personally, and wont support it. Same thing with SennMan, though I do love the u87, tlm193, and Sennheiser MKH800.

I do love my 426B, and wouldnt trade it for anything, though it is in the shop getting frankensteined at the moment for broader freq. range and better transient response. was about 95% perfect.

but at the end of the day, to me they are just tools, and I buy the tools that do the job for me. I dont identfy with my mics on a personal level,  and certainly dont take offense if someone slags off on them. If it were my Mother, maybe. A piece of steel and wire..(though well crafted!)...never. Dont understand why others take it personally either ,but perhaps that isnt for me to understand nor question.

+T and well said......
DPA/HEB 4060's > R09HR
MBHO648/KA100Lk/KA200/KA300/KA500 > SD702

Offline kgreener

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #40 on: May 16, 2006, 06:29:26 PM »
if you're looking for an American microphone company that adheres to some of the values Teddy hit upon, ableit on a smaller scale, Josephson surely comes to mind.

RebelRebel

« Reply #41 on: May 16, 2006, 06:37:05 PM »
Yessir! Josephson and Royer!

Offline Chuck

• Trade Count: (42)
  • time between the notes...
    • My recordings on the LMA
« Reply #42 on: May 16, 2006, 09:45:15 PM »
Jeez, I hate to be a wet blanket... but...
Back in 1990, I bought a pair of Josephson C-640 microphones (transformer coupled for the lowest noise available at the time). I bought these mics based on a recommendation from Mike Grace, who was working for a Colorado Springs high end amplifier manufacturer at the time. Mike had heard that the Josephson mics were like a cheap Schoeps alternative. Of course these mics were imported from Germany from the company that was to become MBHO. Josephson was the US dealer, but was branding them under the Josphson name.

I was never happy with them. The capsules were not matched, though I was very clear with him on the phone when ordering that I wanted them to be closely matched. I sent the damn things back to him requesting that he send back matched caps. One of the switches (phantom power/ battery power) also broke soon after I go them. This of course when the Grateful Dead were ON FIRE at the time! ... and I had the time to tour and basically had to be a lowly patcher. I should have a ton of great recordings from that year, but alas, my mics were in San Jose with David Josephson. He promised quick turn-around, but kept my mics for 2 months! I actually called him to beg for them back ASAP, so I could record some of the magic I was hearing night after night from the Grateful Dead that year.

After the mics came back, they still were not matched, though I recorded many shows with them over the years. Finally, back a couple of years ago I sent them to MBHO and they were finally matched, quite closely too. I ended up selling them on eBAy to finance my AKG C-480 purchase. The AKG's I love! I had many conversations/ coorespondences with David Josephson over the years that I had those microphones and was ultimametly quite disappointed in him and his company. YMMV...
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.

Microphones: AKG C 480 B comb-ULS/ CK 61/ CK 63, Sennheiser MKE 2 elements,  Audix M1290-o, Micro capsule active cables w/ Naiant PFA's, Naiant MSH-1O, Naiant AKG Active cables, Church CA-11 (cardioid), (1) Nady SCM-1000 (mod)
Pre-amps: Naiant littlebox, Naiant littlekit v2.0, BM2p+ Edirol UA-5, Church STC-9000
Recorders: Sound Devices MixPre-6, iRiver iHP-120 (Rockboxed & RTC mod)

Recordings on the LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/ChuckM
Recording website & blog: http://www.timebetweenthenotes.com

Offline wbrisette

• Homepage
« Reply #43 on: May 17, 2006, 05:56:34 AM »
Yessir! Josephson and Royer!

You use to be able to toss Earthworks into this category, but when the investors kicked out Chris Blackmer and installed their own people, they started a bit of a slide (my opinion). Their mics are still great, but it's not the same company.

Wayne
Mics: Earthworks SR-77 (MP), QTC-1 (MP)

Editing: QSC RMX2450, MOTU 2408 MK3, Earthworks Sigma 6.2

Offline heath

• Laugh it up, Fuzzball...
  • Trade Count: (4)
  • I'm score!!!!!!
    • The Upstream Mend
« Reply #44 on: May 17, 2006, 08:29:33 AM »
Royer Ribbons   :drool:
And the Sultans... yeah the Sultans play creole

The Upstream Mend

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.092 seconds with 38 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com