Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Newbie gettin' back into...  (Read 8190 times)

Offline hyperplane

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
Re: Newbie gettin' back into...
« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2006, 03:45:47 PM »
Even though it appears you've made up your mind, Lhmwrench, I'm going to second the vote to go for an iriver h120. You can score one off ebay for under 2 bills, and no media or batteries to purchase. And no software to use to get the recording onto your computer. Very easy setup to use, and very compact.

Offline poorlyconditioned

• Taperssection All-Star
  • I'm a tapir!
« Reply #16 on: May 31, 2006, 04:00:03 PM »
cheap and impossible easier to transfer to pc: iriver  :)

Transfer to PC is pretty easy.  Sonicstage over the USB port.

I am in no way supporting Sony's repressive tactics in the past, and still holding over now in many ways.  But the fact is, Minidisc has the nicest interface and solid analog circuitry (preamp, line in) on these units.  Oh yeah, and long battery life (6-8 hours on a single AA 2500mAh battery).  They really are marvels of modern engineering as far as I'm concerned.

I think Edirol R09 may overtake MD if the mic and line are as good as we expect.

Richard
Mics: Sennheiser MKE2002 (dummy head), Studio Projects C4, AT825 (unmodded), AT822 franken mic (x2), AT853(hc,c,sc,o), Senn. MKE2, Senn MKE40, Shure MX183/5, CA Cards, homebrew Panasonic and Transsound capsules.
Pre/ADC: Presonus Firepod & Firebox, DMIC20(x2), UA5(poorly-modded, AD8620+AD8512opamps), VX440
Recorders: Edirol R4, R09, IBM X24 laptop, NJB3(x2), HiMD(x2), MD(1).
** This individual has moved to user "illconditioned" **

Offline macroint

• Needs to get out more...
    • Jeff's List
« Reply #17 on: May 31, 2006, 04:10:01 PM »
I'm going to second the vote to go for an iriver h120. You can score one off ebay for under 2 bills, and no media or batteries to purchase. And no software to use to get the recording onto your computer. Very easy setup to use, and very compact.

Wasn't too long ago that any post asking for recorder advice would get, at least, one recommendation for the NJB3...why the lost love for the JB3? I love mine!
Peluso CEMC6>PS-2>AD-20>NJB3

SUPPORT LOCAL MUSIC
http://baltimore-taper.blogspot.com

Offline Javier Cinakowski

• !! Downhill From Here !!
  • Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #18 on: May 31, 2006, 04:44:41 PM »
why the lost love for the JB3?

1, they do not make it anymore.

2, the ADC is poor

3. No mic pre

4. No support or firmware updates

5.  The iriver is very similar to the jb3

Neumann KM185mp OR DPA ST2015-> Grace Design Lunatec V2-> Tascam DR-100mkIII

Offline Gawain

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #19 on: May 31, 2006, 05:48:06 PM »
yeah, Richard, I know about the MD advantages too  :) actually I was hesitating before get the H120 between it and a Hi-MD  :) they are solid, stealhty, not expensive and with a nice interface, I agree...but the media matter decided me (and also the look and can store 20-40GB on it...and rockbox!)...and now I couldn't be happier with my toy  :D

Offline Lhmwrench

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #20 on: June 01, 2006, 12:54:18 AM »
Thanks anyway thegreatgumbino but I'm gonna stick w/new...
Choice narrowed down to the  SONY-MZ-RH1 and the Sony MZ-M100...
The latter'll win cause I'll need it for a Sat. gig...

Offline svenkid

• Take Time to Listen!
« Reply #21 on: June 01, 2006, 01:10:12 AM »
lol,  :love: I LOVE my jb3
Seriously, the band makes the music. Tapers just point mics in the right direction and hit "record".

That's good to hear!  The last patcher I had complained about my AKGs, fluffed schoeps for about 15 minutes, stayed patched in, and farted on me all night long.
rig: Neuman u89s > Lunatec V3 > MT(24)/JB3(16)
http://db.etree.org/svenkid

Um, in my room, one seam is a little off and I stare at it constantly. It's, like, destroying me.

Offline Lhmwrench

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #22 on: June 01, 2006, 01:13:17 AM »
Oh yeah, I forgot to add that every review of the IRivers TRASHED the product...to the letter...so...

Offline china_rider

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • The center of the universe is not on this earth...
    • AZTapers
« Reply #23 on: June 01, 2006, 01:42:29 AM »
What he said... but I think that analog is only available at 44.1 unless I am missing something.  Also was able to get 2 recorders (one plus a back up) at less than $100 each
 on ebay.
(#1) AKG C480b CK61,CK62,CK63,CK69 -> Silverpath XLRs -> BMod R-4
(#2) BMod ADK A51TL -> Silverpath XLRs -> BMod R-4
(#3) Sonic Studios DSM6SM -> Sonic Studios PA-3SX -> R-09

Offline hyperplane

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #24 on: June 01, 2006, 01:43:36 AM »
why the lost love for the JB3?

1, they do not make it anymore.

2, the ADC is poor

3. No mic pre

4. No support or firmware updates

5.  The iriver is very similar to the jb3

windorabug, i am not arguing with you but i would like to point out that several of your stated reasons apply to the iriver.  ;D  if i'm not mistaken, it has the same ADC chip as the JB3. the H120/H140 are no longer made (and have not been in production for "at least one year" according to iriver when i called them a couple weeks ago).

as for firmware updates, i don't think that's a "necessary" thing so long as there is a stable firmware. for instance, i contacted Edirol late last year regarding any future firmware upgrades for the R-1, and they said the firmware was stable so there would be no further development for that product. not a huge deal, but it does seem reasonable that if a product has stable firmware - why upgrade/change it?

raoulduke - question: you say the iriver "has mic and line inputs, with the ability to add or subtract gain"... i might be going blind, but i only see one input (Line In / optical in) on the iriver. what did you mean by "mic input?"

also, according to latest reports, the iriver cannot do 16/48 kHz. just stating that so no one is mislead.

oh, and i still agree with raoulduke, i.e. no media costs and no battery costs really can save money. with the battery upgrade i performed, i can get over 12 hours of recording per charge up, and since i never tape festivals, this is more than ample for my needs of maximum 4 to 5 hours of recording in a single day.

now, poorlyconditioned (or anyone who can answer it) - i have a question about the newer MD units. when you refer to SonicStage and USB for transferring, is the transfer in "real time"? or is it more like 3 minutes for a 2 hour (~1.3 GB) recording? (that's how long it takes to upload from my iriver to my HDD... so i'm purely interested in knowing this info for knowledge's sake.)
« Last Edit: June 01, 2006, 01:45:07 AM by hyperplane »

• Taperssection All-Star
  • I'm a tapir!
« Reply #25 on: June 01, 2006, 01:55:42 AM »

now, poorlyconditioned (or anyone who can answer it) - i have a question about the newer MD units. when you refer to SonicStage and USB for transferring, is the transfer in "real time"? or is it more like 3 minutes for a 2 hour (~1.3 GB) recording? (that's how long it takes to upload from my iriver to my HDD... so i'm purely interested in knowing this info for knowledge's sake.)

The newer HiMD units use USB to upload.  It is reasonable, but not super fast like the NJB3 firewire!  I would say about 3 or 4 times real time for PCM and about 10 times real time for ATRAC.  But pretty solid.

I'm glad to hear the iRiver optical is stable.  I might get one.  But what about the analog in?  Is there any hard drive noise like the NJB3?  Is there *real* analog gain?  Finally, how good is the ADC?  I'm inclined to think MD is better, but you never know.

As far as batteries go, I'm tempted to just get an external battery pack to augment the built in one in the iRiver.  I do that with the NJB3 now.

Richard
Mics: Sennheiser MKE2002 (dummy head), Studio Projects C4, AT825 (unmodded), AT822 franken mic (x2), AT853(hc,c,sc,o), Senn. MKE2, Senn MKE40, Shure MX183/5, CA Cards, homebrew Panasonic and Transsound capsules.
Pre/ADC: Presonus Firepod & Firebox, DMIC20(x2), UA5(poorly-modded, AD8620+AD8512opamps), VX440

Offline hyperplane

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #26 on: June 01, 2006, 02:15:01 AM »

The newer HiMD units use USB to upload.  It is reasonable, but not super fast like the NJB3 firewire!  I would say about 3 or 4 times real time for PCM and about 10 times real time for ATRAC.  But pretty solid.

I'm glad to hear the iRiver optical is stable.  I might get one.  But what about the analog in?  Is there any hard drive noise like the NJB3?  Is there *real* analog gain?  Finally, how good is the ADC?  I'm inclined to think MD is better, but you never know.

As far as batteries go, I'm tempted to just get an external battery pack to augment the built in one in the iRiver.  I do that with the NJB3 now.

Richard

Thanks for that reply, Richard! That is very adequate transfer time for the MD with Sonic Stage software.

While using the rockbox firmware, it says it has up to 24 dB of <analog> gain and any gain above that is augmented by <digital> gain.  And in fact, there is an (A) while you're within the analog gain beside the dB amount of gain; and should you need to use digital gain and you add set the levels at higher than 24.0 dB, then a (D) will appear beside the gain amount.

One nice thing that isn't mentioned often about the iriver, IMO, is that you can set the gain for each channel individually. True, not often "needed," but say you aren't centered or mic sensitivity is a few dB difference... now you can set each channel individually.

I have listened to several recordings I've made with the iriver, in headphones, and I cannot hear HDD noise. FWIW, the only shows I've taped with the iriver have been fairly loud... so I have yet to test it with more quiet, acousitc (amplified or unamplified) music, but I'll get there.

IMO, the ADC of the iriver is decent. Yes, there is better out there. I ran the iriver head to head against the Edirol R-1 (which many people around here agree sounds very good), and thanks to china_rider for hosting (?) the sample:

http://www.aztapers.org/Test_iriver_vs_R1.flacf.zip

It's a .ZIP file with two FLAC files (total size = approximately 60 MB). I did not label which source is the Edirol R-1 and which source is the iriver. But I will happily tell anyone the answers via PM. I'd be interested in knowing what the so-called "golden ears" think of the comparison. [Note: certainly not my best recording, but the point is that it's a head to head, blind comparison between the ADC chips in the two units.]
« Last Edit: June 01, 2006, 02:16:33 AM by hyperplane »

• Taperssection All-Star
  • I'm a tapir!
« Reply #27 on: June 01, 2006, 02:20:02 AM »

Thanks for that reply, Richard! That is very adequate transfer time for the MD with Sonic Stage software.

While using the rockbox firmware, it says it has up to 24 dB of <analog> gain and any gain above that is augmented by <digital> gain.  And in fact, there is an (A) while you're within the analog gain beside the dB amount of gain; and should you need to use digital gain and you add set the levels at higher than 24.0 dB, then a (D) will appear beside the gain amount.

One nice thing that isn't mentioned often about the iriver, IMO, is that you can set the gain for each channel individually. True, not often "needed," but say you aren't centered or mic sensitivity is a few dB difference... now you can set each channel individually.

I have listened to several recordings I've made with the iriver, in headphones, and I cannot hear HDD noise. FWIW, the only shows I've taped with the iriver have been fairly loud... so I have yet to test it with more quiet, acousitc (amplified or unamplified) music, but I'll get there.

IMO, the ADC of the iriver is decent. Yes, there is better out there. I ran the iriver head to head against the Edirol R-1 (which many people around here agree sounds very good), and thanks to china_rider for hosting (?) the sample:

http://www.aztapers.org/Test_iriver_vs_R1.flacf.zip

It's a .ZIP file with two FLAC files (total size = approximately 60 MB). I did not label which source is the Edirol R-1 and which source is the iriver. But I will happily tell anyone the answers via PM. I'd be interested in knowing what the so-called "golden ears" think of the comparison. [Note: certainly not my best recording, but the point is that it's a head to head, blind comparison between the ADC chips in the two units.]

Hey thanks hyper!  I'll download that and take a listen.  We need more of this, comparisons and analysis.  It is too easy to spout off on stuff we have not tested/confirmed.  Myself included :)

Richard

Offline Gawain

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #28 on: June 01, 2006, 07:46:49 AM »
concerning mic in-line in: go to "recording", "recording settings", then to "source" and there you can choose in advance mic, line, or digital  :) (and all plugging in the same hole)

the HD noise...mmm...I had a little problem when I got mine and I heard some noise (while saving data), but now seems to be fixed, I don't hear nothing in the recordings.

Offline George

• May the schwartz be with you!
  • Trade Count: (7)
  • Unofficial TS thread killer
« Reply #29 on: June 01, 2006, 08:48:17 AM »

I taped mmw at a small hall (kinda like a church) back in April.  It's stunning.  Lemme know if you would like a copy.

edit: as for HDD noise, I recall reading it was there when using iriver's firmware when recording.  I imagine this was corrected with rockbox since I haven't heard any HDD noise when listening back to some tapes.  I'll post some samples tonight of recordings I've made with my iriver.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2006, 08:50:33 AM by gloco »
SP-CMC-4s (C, H, SC terminated to mini xlr)>Tinybox>Sony M10/Tascam DR-2d
Countryman B3 (Omni, mini xlr)>Tinybox>Sony M10/Tascam DR-2d
Audix 1200 series cable from Chris Church, pair of Audix M1280 card capsules

Listening: Oppo 980HD>Yamaha RXV667>Rega R1's + Rega RS VOX + Rega R5S's

"Every time I see a group of teenagers gathered around an iphone laughing at some youtube video, I walk up to them, slap the iphone out of their hand, get right up to them nose to nose, and scream at the top of my lungs:

TAKE A LOOK

IT'S IN A BOOK

READING FUCKING RAINBOW."

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.107 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com