Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: few questions...  (Read 4640 times)

Offline kidrocklive

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
  • If it's real, You'll feel it!
    • My Trade List
few questions...
« on: July 06, 2006, 11:07:53 AM »
I recently got a job and have been taping a few shows, and thus i've aquired a few questions:

1. what's the "best" set-up/rig for stealthing shows. Best meaning doesn't set off a metal deteching wand (if that's possible) and other stuff that could get ya caught entering a venue

2. I was thinking about getting the mics I got repaired, if I do do this what is the safest and best way to keep them in good condition. At the moment I just keep them in a plastic ziplock bag lol.

3. Ocassionally i'll tape a local act that's open to taping. If I wanted to get something that would be good for this what would be a good sugguestion?

Offline Javier Cinakowski

• !! Downhill From Here !!
  • Trade Count: (11)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: few questions...
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2006, 11:20:36 AM »
I recently got a job and have been taping a few shows, and thus i've aquired a few questions:

ok, so does this indicate that you have extra money to spend on gear?  Good luck.  If you are anything like me you will spend at least $1000 in the next 6-12 months. 

1. what's the "best" set-up/rig for stealthing shows. Best meaning doesn't set off a metal deteching wand (if that's possible) and other stuff that could get ya caught entering a venue

Well, most smaller stealth equipment will not set off metal detection wands.  The wands are not super sensitive.  As far as specific equipment goes, the HiMD recorders are very small.  The cheaper ones are made with a plastic case, making them metal detector friendly.  They also have a mic-in with plug-in-power.  This will allow you to just use a set of mics with the recorder and no preamp.  For loud music you might need a preamp to power the mics more effectively, or they will distort.  The Microphone Madness HLSC's are the only mics I know of that will not distort in lound situations just plugged straight into the HiMD recorder.
Bascially, whatever gear you have, shove it down your pants.

2. I was thinking about getting the mics I got repaired, if I do do this what is the safest and best way to keep them in good condition. At the moment I just keep them in a plastic ziplock bag lol.

I keep my mics in a camera bag.  Some mics can be damaged buy high humidity so I would not recomend an air-tight plastic ziplock.  Maybe a bubble mailer would be a good option.

3. Ocassionally i'll tape a local act that's open to taping. If I wanted to get something that would be good for this what would be a good sugguestion?

LSD2 microphones -> Marantz/Oade Recorder.  You will also need a stand.  check out micsupply.com

Happy taping  ;D
Neumann KM185mp OR DPA ST2015-> Grace Design Lunatec V2-> Tascam DR-100mkIII

Offline kidrocklive

• Taperssection Member
    • My Trade List
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2006, 11:32:21 AM »
ok, so does this indicate that you have extra money to spend on gear?  Good luck.  If you are anything like me you will spend at least $1000 in the next 6-12 months.

sort of, i get about 155 a week and gas cost can range depending on how much I drive. I problem I have right now is there's just too much stuff I want to buy lol. I want to get a better rig set up for doign audio but then I'd like to get a video camera for open shows on local acts that I like. Then I wouldn't mind getting a new video game system or upgrading my pc, and the list could go on and on, not to mention money to go to shows lol.

Well, most smaller stealth equipment will not set off metal detection wands.  The wands are not super sensitive.  As far as specific equipment goes, the HiMD recorders are very small.  The cheaper ones are made with a plastic case, making them metal detector friendly.  They also have a mic-in with plug-in-power.  This will allow you to just use a set of mics with the recorder and no preamp.  For loud music you might need a preamp to power the mics more effectively, or they will distort.  The Microphone Madness HLSC's are the only mics I know of that will not distort in lound situations just plugged straight into the HiMD recorder.
Bascially, whatever gear you have, shove it down your pants.

Does this mean that the more expensive ones would set the wand off as it wouldn't be made with a plastic case? The mics I have now are csb. The right mic doesn't work at all really, just cuts in and out every so often so I was just planning on getting that repaired/replaced. Don't mean to sound weird or anything but when you say shove it down your pants, how far down exactly? I've gone to a few shows but they never wanded me or patted me down so i'm not sure if what i'm doing is good or not lol. I usually line all the stuff up along the belt line in front of my pants and then put my belt on to help keep the stuff in place. I'm sure you mean further down but I was just trying to get a better idea of where exactly. I know a lot of this is trial and error and doing whatever works for the individual but I just like to be as prepared as possible and i'm a very visual person so that comes into conflict with this at times lol.

I keep my mics in a camera bag.  Some mics can be damaged buy high humidity so I would not recomend an air-tight plastic ziplock.  Maybe a bubble mailer would be a good option.

cool, i'll try the bubble mailer. thanks.

LSD2 microphones -> Marantz/Oade Recorder.  You will also need a stand.  check out micsupply.com

does that cost an arm and a leg or just an arm lol

Happy taping  ;D

thanks
« Last Edit: July 06, 2006, 11:46:49 AM by kidrocklive »

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2006, 01:01:01 PM »
Does this mean that the more expensive ones would set the wand off as it wouldn't be made with a plastic case?

Im not sure even the good ones with a metal case would set it off either.  Just the plastic seems like a safer alternative.  FWIW I only been to one show that uses the metal wands.

but when you say shove it down your pants, how far down exactly
In the crotch area.  If you leave it above the belt line you might get caught.  Security sometimes ask people to lift up their shirt and spin around.

does that cost an arm and a leg or just an arm lol

maybe like $1200 for both

Offline Scooter

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2006, 01:13:01 PM »

get a Pelican case for the mics.  all different sizes and they come with foam.  Indestructable, and water tight.  Some folks use a plactic tackle box tray deal, with foam in it.
MBHO 603a(ka200n/ka500hn) >
R-44, or H120

LMA Recordings

Offline kidrocklive

• Taperssection Member
    • My Trade List
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2006, 07:13:44 PM »
when you say preamp is that the same thing as a battery box?

what's the best "cheap" Hi-MD recorder? Do they have one that has a lit lcd screen or is that just for the expensive ones?

maybe like $1200 for both

I think for that price i'll just use the stealth rig for open taping shows lol

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2006, 07:24:35 PM »

What's your budget?
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) > Roland R-05

« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2006, 07:37:48 PM »

They are similar, except that the preamp gives you some gain to bump your levels up.

The best cheap HiMD's can be found at minidisco.com.  There is a cheap one with a backlit screen.  The MZRH10?

Offline kidrocklive

• Taperssection Member
    • My Trade List
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2006, 08:16:41 PM »

What's your budget?

it depends, if I feel it's worth it I might put forth the extra money to get a better unit. I guess what i'm saying is if somebody could give me a low/medium and high costing unit and the pros and cons about them that would be great and help out a lot.

Offline kidrocklive

• Taperssection Member
    • My Trade List
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2006, 08:17:42 PM »

They are similar, except that the preamp gives you some gain to bump your levels up.

The best cheap HiMD's can be found at minidisco.com.  There is a cheap one with a backlit screen.  The MZRH10?

gain meaning you can make the recording sound louder?

thanks on the minidisco site, i'll check it out and the MZRH10

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2006, 08:29:10 PM »
it depends, if I feel it's worth it I might put forth the extra money to get a better unit. I guess what i'm saying is if somebody could give me a low/medium and high costing unit and the pros and cons about them that would be great and help out a lot.

What's your definition of low, medium, and high cost?  Your low might be my high.  And your high might be someone else's low.

And by "unit" you mean...what?  Mics and/or power source and/or preamp and/or recorder?  And if you already have some gear you'd like to use with your future potential gear, what gear do you already have and continue using?

Work with us.  We need at least -some- information from you in order to make reasonable suggestions and not waste your and our time with contextless speculation.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) > Roland R-05

Offline kidrocklive

• Taperssection Member
    • My Trade List
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2006, 09:05:26 PM »

What's your definition of low, medium, and high cost?  Your low might be my high.  And your high might be someone else's low.

And by "unit" you mean...what?  Mics and/or power source and/or preamp and/or recorder?  And if you already have some gear you'd like to use with your future potential gear, what gear do you already have and continue using?

Work with us.  We need at least -some- information from you in order to make reasonable suggestions and not waste your and our time with contextless speculation.

um, i'm planning on just keeping the mics I have now but getting them repaired (i have csb mics). I was thinking about getting a smaller battery box but the person I got the set up from (dunebug81) said that it was small enough already and i'm just being a pussy so to speak lol.

Just to further clarify things, this is the mic/batter box and bass roll off set up I have right now

I have a Sharp MT90 (Regular MD, not Hi-MD).  From what i've recorded so far it's done pretty good by my ears. I know fixing the mics will help with the recording.

The main reason I think why i'd be upgrading the recording unit (not the mics or battery box) is for stealthing reasons. I'd prefer to have something that wouldn't set the wands off (dunebug said they would, but it wasn't a problem as they never did anything to him about it so idk lol). It would probably be good for me to get a smaller battery box, I know my buddy (nameloc01) has a smaller battery box/bass roll off thing, but I couldn't find it when I went to a site that had it before but I probably just wasn't looking in the right spot.

Another thing I was thinking about is how some things can do 24 bit recordings and I was wondering if that would be a wiser investment or not. I like the idea of digital recorders because I wouldn't have to watch the time and change/swap discs which would be cool, but would they be just as safe for stealthing?

My idea of low cost I guess would be 200ish medium would be 300 to 400 and high would be 500 or more.

By unit I mean just the thing you actually record on, although i know for some digital recorders you need a memory card to go with them which could cost a bit more too lol.

« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2006, 09:50:06 PM »
The CSB are good mics.  Get them fixed.  The batterbox that camewith them is made for those mics.  It is a good batbox.  Get a HiMD so you can go line-in for loud shows and mic-in for queit shows.  Or get a IRiverH120 and run line in all the time.  This will be a great start for you. 

Chech out the following companies if you want to learn more or spend more

Sound Professionals
Mic Supply
Core-Sound
MiniDisco
microphone Madness
Church Audio
Giant Squid
Casecade Media
Location Sound
B&H Photo

Offline kidrocklive

• Taperssection Member
    • My Trade List
« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2006, 07:40:35 AM »
yeh the line in never seemed to work for me, even when I was 4th row lol. I've always used the mic in. That batterybox always seemed too big imo lol. So if I croch all that just tell em that when it goes off I got a prince albert or soemthing lol.  I think that is what sets off the wand more so than the md recorder because of the 4 screws in it and the casing it's in, although the recorder seems to be made of metal too for the casing.

Offline todd e

• Trade Count: (3)
  • ***Team Schoeps***
« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2006, 09:13:17 AM »
i know you have said that you're worried about setting the alarms off (metal detectors) but here's a trick.

Once you have been wanded and they ask you what is in your pants, just lean real close and tell them " It's Pierced....."

you'll be send on your way easy enough.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.097 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com