Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: stealth gear brah  (Read 6721 times)

Offline saxophoner

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
Re: stealth gear brah
« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2006, 06:31:27 PM »
stack taping?
microphones > a/d pre > recorder
Travis from Wisconsin

Offline George

• May the schwartz be with you!
  • Trade Count: (7)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Unofficial TS thread killer
« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2006, 06:37:18 PM »
stack taping?

Aiming the mics at the PA stacks (typically with a mic stand).
SP-CMC-4s (C, H, SC terminated to mini xlr)>Tinybox>Sony M10/Tascam DR-2d
Countryman B3 (Omni, mini xlr)>Tinybox>Sony M10/Tascam DR-2d
Audix 1200 series cable from Chris Church, pair of Audix M1280 card capsules

Listening: Oppo 980HD>Yamaha RXV667>Rega R1's + Rega RS VOX + Rega R5S's

"Every time I see a group of teenagers gathered around an iphone laughing at some youtube video, I walk up to them, slap the iphone out of their hand, get right up to them nose to nose, and scream at the top of my lungs:

TAKE A LOOK

IT'S IN A BOOK

READING FUCKING RAINBOW."

Offline sullen

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2006, 12:35:17 AM »
I think you guys worry way too much about the "sweet spot" when you're stealth taping...

^^^ That's right!

-T your hearts out hippies.
don't > care > to > list > gear > in > signature

Offline Evil Taper

• Going pro...no time for taping now
« Reply #18 on: July 23, 2006, 04:11:34 AM »
i should've clarified:

stack humping is what the guys recipe called for, the act of standing really close to one of the speaker stacks and taping that instead of recording a stereo mix of the concert.  alot of times the instruments aren't being fed through both stacks so a stack humped tape will be lacking sound that should be on the tape.  i guess the advantage of stack humping is that the music will be extremely loud that close to the speakers which, in theory,  should produce a tape with less crowd noise.  i PERSONALLY think this is a shitty way to make a tape and you're probably more likely to be spotted by security since you're standing a couple of feet away from the stage security crew, when you're standing FOBDFC you're just some person in a sea of people and most of the time there's no security personnel anywhere near you.  do what you want though, they're your own tapes to listen to.  i just think with so much focus on what gear sounds best the taper should at least be trying to pull the best tape possible at every show.  i know sometimes it's logistically impossible to get in the sweet spot but with a decent rig you'll be ok if you're a little off center. ;)

stack taping, as in pointing mics at stage stacks instead of running a strict ortf/din/xy or whatever, can be beneficial in venues that are oblong sideways or have shittastic room acoustics.  when you're aiming directly at the stacks with a card pattern you'll be picking up more direct stack sound than ambient sound so you can sometimes correct for shitty venues.  i've noticed that this technique can yield tapes a bit on the bright side though so i don't even consider it unless it's a really crappy room that i'm taping in.

AND TEDDY, SPEAKING YOUR MIND IS NOT A CRIME!  I DO WHAT I WANT BITCHES!
Really not very evil at all now...

RebelRebel

« Reply #19 on: July 23, 2006, 08:34:38 AM »

AND TEDDY, SPEAKING YOUR MIND IS NOT A CRIME!  I DO WHAT I WANT BITCHES!
Well, do your thing, hero!Youll show them! ;D But you do need to calm down. If I want to insult you, I will do it in a big way, and not include smilies.  ;)

I tend to like hearing the concert on recordings and not everything else. I dont really care about ambience in a PA tape, just want to hear the band. The recordings I have heard of VA-TAPER I think were made "hugging the stack" if I am not mistaken. They sound phenomenal. The ambience in most clubs sounds terrible so I dont care to hear it. The speakers are where the sound is coming from, no?

« Last Edit: July 23, 2006, 08:38:42 AM by Teddy »

RebelRebel

« Reply #20 on: July 23, 2006, 11:11:07 AM »
are you referring to the womens undergarment, as it relates to sneaking gear into concerts?

Took me a second to figure that one out! :-[

Offline Sebastian

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #21 on: July 23, 2006, 03:44:47 PM »
stack humping is what the guys recipe called for, the act of standing really close to one of the speaker stacks and taping that instead of recording a stereo mix of the concert.  alot of times the instruments aren't being fed through both stacks so a stack humped tape will be lacking sound that should be on the tape.  i guess the advantage of stack humping is that the music will be extremely loud that close to the speakers which, in theory,  should produce a tape with less crowd noise.  i PERSONALLY think this is a shitty way to make a tape and you're probably more likely to be spotted by security since you're standing a couple of feet away from the stage security crew

I've made some of my best tapes that way...

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #22 on: July 23, 2006, 04:12:17 PM »
Stack-humping v. ambient recording is just a preference - there's no right or wrong here, as with much of our gear options / configs, etc.  I've heard great recordings from both scenarios.  Stack-humping recordings are very soundboard-like, and if the mix is mono (as many are) there's no worry of missing content from the other stack.  Ambient recordings give the feeling of "being there".  I mostly prefer the latter, even with PA recording.  But I've heard some smoker stack recordings, too.  Do what you like and, well...enjoy it.  :)
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) > Roland R-05

Offline terrapinj

• Jonesin' for Tunes
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #23 on: July 23, 2006, 04:22:48 PM »
I DO WHAT I WANT BITCHES!

What Evah!  ;D
JW mod AKG 460b (ck61/ck63 or mk46/ck1x/ck3x)>  EAA PSP-2 > 722

Segue Dogstar XLRs and Interconnects

ISO: (2) ck2x

Offline saxophoner

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #24 on: July 24, 2006, 02:07:28 PM »
so if you're gonna be stealth taping your best bet it prolly stack taping?  i figure the stereo microphones will pick up the noises i don't want to hear since they would only be head height and not extended above the crowd noise a few feet.
any takers
« Last Edit: July 24, 2006, 02:25:52 PM by saxophoner »
microphones > a/d pre > recorder
Travis from Wisconsin

Offline terrapinj

• Jonesin' for Tunes
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #25 on: July 24, 2006, 02:10:17 PM »
so if you're gonna be stealth taping your best bet it prolly stack taping?  i figure the sterio microphones will pick up the noises i don't want to hear since they would only be head height and not extended above the crowd noise a few feet.
any takers

Stack-humping v. ambient recording is just a preference - there's no right or wrong here
JW mod AKG 460b (ck61/ck63 or mk46/ck1x/ck3x)>  EAA PSP-2 > 722

Segue Dogstar XLRs and Interconnects

ISO: (2) ck2x

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.069 seconds with 34 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com