Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Running the mighty AKG 480?  (Read 4743 times)

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
Re: Running the mighty AKG 480?
« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2006, 09:20:34 PM »
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline BayTaynt3d

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Live from San Francisco
    • BayTaper.com
« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2006, 01:39:36 PM »
Are you not able to make corrections in post?  Is the only alternative for you to run the pads?   Personally rule #1 for me is to run my mics wide open and if I have to cut back somewhere it is always for me further down the chain of gear.  That may not be possible for you in this situation?

More about hot output...not really bass heavy at all.

I didnt use any of the bass switches...just the level pads...

for clarification, on the 480 bodies there are two separate and unrelated switches, one for anti-attenuation and another for bass-roll-off; as I understand it you would want to use the anti-attenuation switch if you are super close to the music source or monitors to minimize volume blast to the mic caps (what is referred to as spl's); the other switch is of course the bass roll off; while the anti-attenuation switch would dampen levels the bass roll off switch would not

That last line isn't entirely true. I'm not suggesting you use bass rolloff for attenuation, you obviously should use it for other reasons (like wind, boomy room, etc.). However, that said, there is a crapload of energy down in the lows, and cutting the bass with rolloff can definitely lower the overall levels significantly if their is in fact a lot of bass energy in the air -- it obviously does it in a very different way (less bass) than the pad (less everything).
BayTaper.com | One Man’s Multimedia Journey Through the San Francisco Jazz & Creative Music Scene

Offline winisp

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #17 on: July 21, 2006, 02:20:38 PM »
yea as for the bass roll off -10 pad, it mostly depends on the preamp used; I never had to use it, ever, with the line in to the DAP1, or with the V3, or with the UA5; conversely, I always had to use it with the MiniMe or my recordings were unlistenable because they were so bass heavy

In relation to the Mini-Me and -10 bass, were you running ck61 or 63?  Thanks...
AKG 481/3 > Dogstar XLR > MiniMe > Laptop
www.thanksthanksalot.com
www.uprecords.com
Why do I have negative tickets? Because JCrabb is loser!!! Just ask his ex-wifey :)  Share the music JCrabb!!!

Offline grider

• Trade Count: (6)
  • always give more than you take
« Reply #18 on: July 21, 2006, 02:23:14 PM »
yea as for the bass roll off -10 pad, it mostly depends on the preamp used; I never had to use it, ever, with the line in to the DAP1, or with the V3, or with the UA5; conversely, I always had to use it with the MiniMe or my recordings were unlistenable because they were so bass heavy

In relation to the Mini-Me and -10 bass, were you running ck61 or 63?  Thanks...

both, which is why few people use this pairing, a couple but not many

Offline Jammin72

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #19 on: July 21, 2006, 03:27:11 PM »
I acutually used to run +10dB straight into the LineIn on a Mod SBM-1... Some of the cleanest tapes I ever made!
Yes, but what do you HEAR?

Offline spyder9

• Trade Count: (82)
  • "Are you Zman?"
    • My Archived shows
« Reply #20 on: July 24, 2006, 10:49:33 AM »
I engage the -10 pad only for up close recording at a loud show.  From that proximity, there's no need to have the full effect of 20 mv sensitivity.  AMOF, it makes it tougher to manage your meter levels for sound spikes.  Engaging the pad brings the mics senstivity down to a more manageable 11 mv.  Just my 2 cents.  Hope that helps.   

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.05 seconds with 29 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com