Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: My first matrix attempt, help please!!  (Read 5558 times)

Offline mmmatt

• taping > photography
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • ... A broken angel sings from a guitar
    • LightCraft Photography
Re: My first matrix attempt, help please!!
« Reply #15 on: September 06, 2006, 11:44:30 AM »
I often times purposfuly allow a bit of delay between sources.  Keep in mind that differnt notes travel at different speeds and reflect differently... I just tune it to ear and the actual amount of delay different every time.  Without special attention to each song individually you will get the "drift" refered to above and you need to adjust different portions of each track to line them up again.  I believe the common practice is to cut one source and then line it up at the begining of each track of the uncut source.  Some also use timestreatch to even things out... here again I don't do multitrack from multiple devices so I'm no expert there.  Most likely you are going to have different delay levels at different points of the recording unless you account for that with reallinging at the start of each track or timestretching.

Matt
I do think taping is the reality of the business..it is also an impetus for artists to create studio CDs that are ART, not just another recording...    Fareed Haque  2-4-2005

Canon 24-70 f2.8L, Canon 135 f2L, Canon 70-200 f4L, Canon 50 f1.8, > Canon 5D or Canon xt (digi) and Canon 1N (film)

Offline SparkE!

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #16 on: September 06, 2006, 04:20:42 PM »
how much ms of delay it's admissible? I'm now working with the idea of no more than 5ms and with a no audible reverb

You don't want more than about 5 ms of skew between your sources.  One of the easiest ways to minimize the skew is to line them up at the halfway point.  That way the maximum skew is about half of what you would get if you lined them up near the start of the tracks.
How'm I supposed to read your lips when you're talkin' out your ass? - Lern Tilton

Ignorance in audio is exceeded only by our collective willingness to embrace and foster it. -  Srajan Ebaen

Offline T-90

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • ya aint gotta do what ya aint gotta do
« Reply #17 on: September 06, 2006, 05:01:42 PM »
this is a great thread.....lots of great info as well as a manual....almost makes it too easy  :)
thanks!
"I dont sing...I dont dance...and I dont like to be around anyone who does" D.Letterman
DPA 4023, AT4051a, AT4053a
Countryman B3, AT853(4.7k,c,sc,h)
V3, FP24, Bm2p+ UA5, ST9100
OCM Edirol R-44, Sony PCM-M10

Offline cyfan

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
  • It's not personal
« Reply #18 on: September 07, 2006, 01:59:57 PM »
Here's my 2 cents.
I have done both on-the-fly and post matrixes and use the latter when I really want to ensure I get it right.
Typically I'll run a JB3 from the board and a JB3 from a mic>UA-5 optical out.
The mic verson is always faster than the board, and without exception the difference is 0.0037 seconds per minute.
I have found that time stretching the mic recording creates minor artifacts and is not really desireable.
After synching the start of both recordings in Cool Edit Pro, I create a 0.0037 second cut and paste segment of silence and quickly run through pasting it in the mic recording at 1 minute, 2 minute, 3 minute, etc.
The mixdown sounds perfectly synched every time.

That method may have its critics but I swear by it.

Superlux HK8 > Edirol UA-5 > JB3
Multi-tracker: Fostex VF 160 EX

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.044 seconds with 27 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com