Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Best mics for $500/pair?  (Read 5390 times)

Offline Krispy D

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • my recordings on LMA
Re: Best mics for $500/pair?
« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2006, 08:11:42 AM »
If I had $500.00 to spend on a mic RIGHT NOW,  I would have to get an LSD2.  I really like that mic.
Peluso CEMC6, ck4/ck21
Oktava MC012
Sony ECM260f
AT 811

canare star quads
DIY mil spec silvers

DIY (W-ish) mod UA5>JB3
Oade ACM PMD 660
R4

You cannot strengthen the weak by weakening the strong. You cannot help the wage-earner by pulling down the wage-payer. You cannot help the poor by destroying the rich. You cannot help men permanently by doing for them what they could and should do for themselves.
~Rev. William J. H. Boetcker (not Lincoln)

Offline momule

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #16 on: September 29, 2006, 09:03:48 AM »
I vote for the Studio Projects also But I vote for the B3's or C3's for multi pattern options. 
I honestly dont really care for the sound of the LSD2.  Maybe its the XY

Here is a small MP3 sample of a crowes show from two nights ago.
this was SP B3's > Mv-100 > Jb3 (Line in @48khz)

AKG 463's (uno ck62) > Mackie Onyx Satellite > Microtrack II

Offline paullySC

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
  • I'll stir fry you in my wok
« Reply #17 on: September 29, 2006, 04:56:55 PM »
I'll 3rd the LSD2 suggestion.  even over the Peluso's.

Are there any drawbacks to running an LSD2 as opposed to 2 seperate mics? Is it something that requires a lot of experience to pull a quality recording? Just trying to get an idea of pros and cons. I need to seek more LSD2 shows on archive. Would probabaly sound great with my PMD660 ACM.
"If you were supposed to watch your mouth all the time I doubt your eyes would be above it."

Studio Projects C4 > PMD 660 ACM

Shows:

Offline Nick's Picks

• Trade Count: (33)
  • I thought I heard.......
« Reply #18 on: September 29, 2006, 05:00:07 PM »
IMO, its stunning w/the ACM660.  best sounding combo i've run in  a while, IMO.
better than what im' running now!

I was wondering why I dont go back to that setup.  it sounded so damn good.

Offline dnsacks

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #19 on: September 29, 2006, 05:10:18 PM »
drawbacks -- you can't run near-coincident patterns with a LSD2 (unless you have a buddy who owns one too)

Experience to pull quality recording -- not any moreso than any other micl -- simply set it at x/y 90 degrees, aim it so it's centered on the soundsource and start recording, the lsd2 sounds great in x/y 90 degrees and I find its ease of setup to be a def. virtue.  Of course, as with any mic the key is location, location, location.  putting even the best of mics in a less-than-ideal recording location will result in a less-than-ideal recording

Offline Craig T

• Trade Count: (10)
    • LMA
Schoeps cmc6/4v / Beyer mc950 / Line Audio CM3, OM1 / ADK A51 / Church Audio CA-14
Naiant Tinybox v2.2 / NBox(P) / Church Audio ST9200 / CA-UGLY
Sony PCM-M10 / Zoom F3 / Zoom F6

Offline paullySC

• Taperssection Member
  • I'll stir fry you in my wok
« Reply #21 on: September 29, 2006, 07:42:17 PM »
drawbacks -- you can't run near-coincident patterns with a LSD2 (unless you have a buddy who owns one too)

Experience to pull quality recording -- not any moreso than any other micl -- simply set it at x/y 90 degrees, aim it so it's centered on the soundsource and start recording, the lsd2 sounds great in x/y 90 degrees and I find its ease of setup to be a def. virtue.  Of course, as with any mic the key is location, location, location.  putting even the best of mics in a less-than-ideal recording location will result in a less-than-ideal recording

With that type of mic does venue size matter? Small crowded bar vs. theatres etc. didn't know if was more suited for certains types of venues.
"If you were supposed to watch your mouth all the time I doubt your eyes would be above it."

Studio Projects C4 > PMD 660 ACM

Shows:

kirk97132

« Reply #22 on: October 01, 2006, 12:33:22 PM »
hey now!  Thank you, thank you, thank you, for all the input.  This was some unexpected input too.  How great is it to have a place to get feed back, REAL feedback about mics for the kind of stuff we do not just some studio engineers report.  (Although I did read them too).  My problem now is to make a choice.  If I was sure I wouldn't spend the money I just made on the R2R sale I'd sit on it and try to stick a little more in the pile and up the ante.  I'm afriad I'll spend it ont the house if I keep it around so I want to roll it into mics.  The praise for the lsd2 suprised me.  I'm probrbly showing my age and I'm SO old school I was only thinking in pairs of mics.  I know, I know it's the 21st century (catch up dude).   So lets see... the lsd2 got the most recomendations, with the Peluso's normally just a tad over my price limit.  BUT, the ebay price is still low so who knows?  Anyhow thanks again and I sus pect soon I'll have some mic's!  Kirk
« Last Edit: October 01, 2006, 12:46:17 PM by kirk97132 »

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.06 seconds with 31 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com